How to Install Custom Maps, Texture Packs, And Addons for Minecraft Bedrock for Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by EaterComputer, Jul 5, 2019.

1. EaterComputer
    OP

EaterComputer Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2018
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Hello everyone! I decided to make a detailed tutorial on how to do this because the ones out there weren't that good or descriptive. In this tutorial, we are going to learn how to install content from the internet, transfer content from other versions of Minecraft Bedrock, and we are even going to learn how to convert your java edition maps to Bedrock Format and transfer it to the Nintendo Switch. As a bonus, we will also learn how to add a skin pack and customize the video settings. The process is kind of tedious but I hope that due to this post being made someone will make a save injector that does all this for us.

A big thanks to fellow GBATEMP member GalaxyYT for giving me the starting point for this Tutorial.

Requirements:
    Checkpoint / Any save dumper/restore tool.
    Minecraft Bedrock
    A way to launch Homebrew

Backup Save File

First things first we need to backup the Minecraft savefile. Use your save manager of choice. In this tutorial, I am using Checkpoint.
    [​IMG]

Open Checkpoint from the Homebrew Menu and Locate Minecraft. (remember to switch to the User Profile you want the custom content to be on)

[​IMG]

Then Press Left Trigger to Backup the Save File. (This will take about a minute. For some reason Minecraft stores many of the game files in the save file which makes the process quite slow.)

[​IMG]

Locate The Save Backup Location

Access the SD Card of your switch (you can turn off and insert your sd card into your computer or you can use an FTP homebrew or NXMTP to get to the files. Your choice!)
    Now look for the Backup. The Backup is located in...
    Code:
    sd:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/0x0100D71004694000 Minecraft/WhateverYouNamedYourSave
    [​IMG]

Make a backup on your computer of this file and go to...

Code:
    games/com.mojang
    Here is where we will install our content.

Installing Content

Now it is time to get the content!

Download From The Internet

Install Your Own Minecraft Bedrock Worlds

Infinite Chunks / Custom Video Settings

Restore Save File

Now that we have added our content into the file, go back into Checkpoint and Restore The Save File

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now just open Minecraft and your Custom Files will be waiting for you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Warning! ALWAYS keep a backup, because apparently you can't just restore a save with just the mcpack and nothing else, otherwise, your worlds and Xbox Live connection will be lost. You need to import the entire save folder altogether, including your worlds and other data. Follow the next part of this tutorial correctly please!

Thanks for following my tutorial. If you have any questions or want me to elaborate on my instructions please let me know in the comments below. I hope you have a good time playing the many great maps from across the web and playing your favorite Minecraft words on the go with the switch! :yayswitch::switch:

Last edited by EaterComputer, Jul 5, 2019
    MattKimura, Hexalform and Ooggle like this.
  2. EaterComputer
    OP

EaterComputer Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2018
    United States
    Los Angeles
    If you have any questions, please reply to this post and I'll try to answer it!

Last edited by EaterComputer, Jul 5, 2019
  3. DukeMustang

DukeMustang Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2015
    United States
    Dude I was literally looking all over for something like this earlier today! You're a life saver!

4. fixingmytoys

fixingmytoys GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2018
    Australia
    Thanks for this just a question what is the difference between the two different minecraft games , not the story ones

5. EaterComputer
    OP

EaterComputer Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2018
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Minecraft Java is the original version. Minecraft bedrock version is based on C++ and is the version on Xbox, switch, and windows 10. Minecraft Nintendo switch edition is a specific console version of Minecraft which is no longer being sold.

Hiipswerf likes this.
  6. thesjaakspoiler

thesjaakspoiler Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2018
    Afghanistan
    Awesome!

For using some resource packs (like Furnicraft), you need enable "Experimental Gameplay" in the world settings.
    Also you need to add the the resource pack.
    In the world settings below the 'Play' button (on the left side), there is a section 'Add-ons' with a button 'Resource packs'.
    This takes you to a menu were you can add the resource pack to the 'active packs' by pressing the '+' button.
    This was the only screenshot I could find :
    https://ibb.co/Zgvrk2q

If it doesn't show up in the 'Availabl packs' then you've put it in the wrong location, wrong save file or restored the wrong save file.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

One more thing I noticed :
    Checkpoint v3.6.0 is used for this manual but the Checkpoint I downloaded from the official github page was v3.1.0.
    I found v3.6.0 on some other page. v3.1.0 just took a few seconds to make the savefile backup but v3.6.0 took quite a long time.
    So I'm not sure if v3.1.0 works as expected.

7. Slothbox

Slothbox Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2015
    United States
    Appreciate the tutorial, ez to follow

Last edited by Slothbox, Jul 7, 2019