Early beta Nintendo Switch menu design discovered on prototype Switch console

GEc_WP1W8AAhpMV.jpg

If you've ever owned a Nintendo Switch, you'll no doubt know what the system's menu looks like. However, a prototype Switch NAND that's been discovered shows that Nintendo had a much grander home menu for the Switch, in the early days of the system's development. The UI images are taken from a mockup that was found on the NAND of a prototype Nintendo Switch unit. The user who shared the images notes that they must be moderately early on in the Switch's planning cycle, as the final UI style was locked in around late 2016. The early menu images are dated 2015, though it's uncertain if the album date is correct.

In the images, you can see a large banner would have been displayed for each game, with the game icons shown at the bottom, as well as the battery for individual JoyCons, the Switch itself, and the internet connection all being shown in the bottom right corner of the screen, instead of the top. The mockups also show 3DS and Wii U titles being used as placeholder images.

:arrow: Source

Ethelbert

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I'm gonna be real with you bros, but I don't really care about the menu. Not something I look at a lot.
Same with themes. When Atmosphere updates you always see people having issues with broken themes. It's always funny to me. I'm on default, launch a game and that's all I see of the menu.

That said, this early one looks nice.

Reactions: mrcroket

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Switch has fart direction.
More like drift direction. Sadly on their website, there isn't an option to send your Switch Lite in for drift repairs; only the Switch V1/V2 and Switch OLED have these issues apparently.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why would they care, you already bought it!
Well, I bought a used Switch Lite on my birthday, and after getting it, the D-PAD started screwing around with the controls. Doing a little endeavor with a camera, reveals that the membrane underneath has been either damaged or squished. So, I believe that Nintendo should fix D-PADs for drift, not just for the sticks.

• Sad
Reactions: StrayGuitarist

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you've ever owned a Nintendo Switch, you'll no doubt know what the system's menu looks like. However, a prototype Switch NAND that's been discovered shows that Nintendo had a much grander home menu for the Switch, in the early days of the system's development. The UI images are taken from a mockup that was found on the NAND of a prototype Nintendo Switch unit. The user who shared the images notes that they must be moderately early on in the Switch's planning cycle, as the final UI style was locked in around late 2016. The early menu images are dated 2015, though it's uncertain if the album date is correct.

In the images, you can see a large banner would have been displayed for each game, with the game icons shown at the bottom, as well as the battery for individual JoyCons, the Switch itself, and the internet connection all being shown in the bottom right corner of the screen, instead of the top. The mockups also show 3DS and Wii U titles being used as placeholder images.

:arrow: Source
We where robbed

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

kb7cxWMSrPwL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
So not too dissimilar to the PSP, or to a lesser degree, the Vita. In a sense the Switch is also spiritual successor to the Sony handhelds, in more ways than one.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe switch 2 will have something more fun and useful.

The less clicks i have to do before i get to what i need, without it becoming a jumbled mess, the better. This ui would seem to do that, but i guess speed was an issue.

They did get raked over the coals with the wii u's load time, so they most likely tried to optimized as much as humanly possible. But that's me thinking it was for reasons other than a desire to not listen to their employees.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks okay, so does the current one. I don't really care about features on a menu. I just want the menu to load up asap, so I can pick my video game and play. I personally disliked the Wii-U/Wii menu for different reasons.

jesus96

Pinkboi
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I really hate how companies are still on the lame and simplistic style for new products like how the ps5 can't get themes but the 4th did and the switch was supposed to be like this but we got a lame menu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?