Time Warner cable says they have no demand for faster internet.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't even want to pay cable modem costs, so I stick with DSL. It's still hella faster than dialup, but not much more expensive and quite a bit cheaper than cable. No way would I pay even more for fiber. 1Gbs I don't care, I'm not paying out the wazoo, especially when they'll wind up capping eventually and you'll have your superfast DL's for a few days then run out and get charged more still or throttled.
There's basically no such thing as download caps for broadband any more here in the UK.:wink:

Reactions: Qtis

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I haven't had to deal with bandwidth caps in years (outside of cellular service).

When I was on dialup, I was lucky to download an SNES ROM at 4KB/s.
When I was on DSL nobody cared because it's not like a single user on DSL can cause an issue to other users.
When I was on cable I was almost always on 5Mb/s or less, again not able to cause a problem.
When I was on cable with 10Mb/s, I was in the middle of the oceanfront with their heavy lines, so... I was never an issue.
When I was on fiber-optic for a few months... there was nobody else on it. I got my demonoid ratio to 16x upload.

Now I'm back on cable, 3 megabits. It's not exactly fantastic, but having gone back to dialup and having dealt with disconnections, this is just fine. Hell, I can even stream 720P youtube videos on my tablet. =D Couldn't do that when I was on DSL, 1.5 megabits is just too slow.

That said, high-speed adoption only happens when the price is low enough. Yes, I would like 15 megabits, but no I'm not willing to pay what anybody here currently wants to charge for it.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This here ^

When I called Time Warner to upgrade me to their new 100 Mb\s service, the customer service rep told me I didn't need it :blink: and that I should go with their 50Mb\s service. He convinced me by giving me a "special price" for going with the lower speed.

I live in Kansas City and cannot wait until it's my Fiberhood's turn to get Google Fiber. I pay $160 per month for TV and 50 Mb\s download speed and 6Mb\s upload right now. I am more than happy to pay $120 per month for TV and 1Gb\s for both down & up internet speeds.
Every time I called them because their system was shitting the bed, they told me it was on my end. So they said they would send someone up in two days to fix it. 3 weeks later someone finally gets there, just to tell me it was on their end that was problem.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The US is a developing country in regards to internet/telephone connection prices and speeds. It's weird that the major companies don't want pump fiber.

For reference, I can get a 12+ mbps connection and 4G mobile internet with bonuses (free speech time/texts) for roughly 80€. That's about $100.
Is that 80€ yearly or monthly?

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Is that 80€ yearly or monthly?
Monthly for full price, but if I make a contract for 24months, I can get the 100M for 10€ per month and the mobile for 10-20€ per month :P

EDIT: What I still find odd is that people "don't want fiber connections". Of course they don't when you charge many times more for a connection that can support higher rates for a cheaper cost. I didn't really think fiber was that much of a big deal, but then I got the 50M connection (at first). Downloads are so much faster and the whole internet is just smoother. Wouldn't want to go back to the old copper line

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Another thing to note is that here in the UK, when you're upgraded to fibre the prices actually get CHEAPER. We're paying £44 a month for unlimited broadband (max 9Mb/s), any time calls and line rental.

If we had fibre cables installed it would cost just £30 a month for up to 30Mb/s unlimited download plus any time calls and line rental.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER