Practical, Semi-Hardmods for the New 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by TurdPooCharger, Feb 4, 2018.

1. TurdPooCharger
    OP

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Hello fellow, GBAtemp[ers]. I am writing this in case any of you run into the same/similar problems like I did when I was setting up my niece’s New 3DS. This post will be a mix of a general DIY tutorial and review of some of the accompanying accessories. It is mostly going to be about modifying one of those cheap, generic hand grips that you find on eBay and Amazon, but the ideas here are applicable on any 3DS and not just the N3DS. These semi-hardmods are supposed to improve the user-friendliness of the 3DS without being overtly difficult to pull off nor being too expensive.

Muh Cool Story, cuz I a Bro (Why I Did These Mods)
    * Skip below to the next section if you just want to get to the actual relevant bits *

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    TL;DR – Teh niece no play video games. I buy her N3DSXL, Pokemon & Zelda. She no likey. Got her instead N3DS and other stuff. Hope she now likey. N3DS gets customized. Here are duh customz.

Forewarning
    Just so we’re clear about what a hardmod is, hardmod is an abbreviation of “hardware modification”. The “hard” part has nothing to do with the difficulty of implementing the “mod” although most certainly many hardmods are “not easy to do”. Except for the PSP c-stick nub, the semi-hardmods I list here are called “semi-” because they’re not done onto the N3DS system but around its supporting accessories. I don’t want anyone to get the wrong impression or be misled in what these are.

Build of Materials, Ingredients, What you need

PSP-1000 Analogy Cap C-Stick Mod

Overview of the Generic / eBay / Made in China / Crystal Case hand grip for New 3DS (original)

Miscellaneous Facts and Theories about this Hand Grip

Some of you might ask, “But TurdPooCharger, why didn’t you buy a Cyber Gadget hand grip if that el cheapo deepo one sucks so much?”

Prepping the Crystal Case hand grip

Scotch Restickable Mounting Pad Mod

About the Scotch Restickable series of Pads, Strips, Tabs, and Dots

Pull String Stylus Pen Mod

Creaking Corner Wobble Fix Mod

Extended Power Button Mod

ALLONE micro-B to 3DS Power Adapter

Power Adapter Magnetic Holder Mod

Retrofitted Hard Case Mod

******************************************************************************

The following (semi-)hardmod ideas were considered or brainstormed but not implemented.

******************************************************************************

Rubber Coated Hand Grip Mod

Accessible Game Cart Cover Mod

Accessible Micro-SD Card Reader Mod

Micro-B Charging Port, Secondary Battery, and Qi Charger Mods

Internal Bluetooth Transmitter Mod

IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad Pointing Stick Nub C-Stick Mod
    N2DSXL Style Home Button Mod
    Internal Bluetooth with Dedicated Button Mod
    Rerouted Micro-SD Card Reader Mod

Picture Galore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BONUS: 200 GB SanDisk micro SDXC card for $48 [limited time offer as supply last] Deal ended June 06, 2018

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Jun 17, 2018
    Androidian, Red771, ry755 and 6 others like this.
  2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Sakura思い

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Looks pretty good nice job :)

TurdPooCharger likes this.
  3. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Dang, nice work.

I'm an adult who has smaller hands and I love the form factor of the smaller N3DS - too bad Nintendo said "Fuck you..." to people who like the original form factor...

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  4. TurdPooCharger
    OP

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    I share the same feel. Nintendo should have made and sold more of these all over the world. Mine (well, now my niece's) was won on eBay after 20 something auctions that fell through either from sniping, insane bid wars, haggling gone bad, and item not shipped scam. Someone at sales department didn't get the memo that bigger isn't always better!

StrayGuitarist and Sophie-bear like this.
  5. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I sell N3DSes locally after dealing with bullshit on ebay that made me want to pull out my hair. My only complaint is that the N3DS doesn't have many accessories for it - like seriously, I have to pay $3 Canadian and shipping for one stylus from Nintendo, while my friends who own a XL can get their stuff easily from any local shops. *pout*

6. trecko1234

trecko1234 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 10, 2013
    United States
    I have a grip similar to the one you posted, here are some pictures of it.

From what you have said it seems to be the exact same grip with a slightly different handle shape.

I bought it for $4 altogether including shipping, it was from Hong Kong. Took quicker than I expected to get to the US (<1 month) and it works pretty well. The clips that holds it in really locks it in, I found the best way to take it out is holding it like this, pushing the 3DS up with your thumb and holding the grip in place with your index finger, then twisting the grip towards you. It bends the grip in a certain way and the 3DS just pops out with very little effort.

The power button is difficult to press like the one you have, but there is no creaking or wobbling whatsoever. It really fucking grips it in place, the only time its come off without me taking it off is when i've dropped it on a carpeted floor.

The hole for the stylus is really big and it's very easy to grab and pull out the stylus. I tried it on a brand new stylus that really likes to stay in there and it was only slightly harder to take out than my original stylus that came with it.

The stand on it is useless and pretty flimsy, but I don't know why you would want a stand on a 3DS. To watch videos maybe, but why watch videos on your 3DS with an awful screen resolution compared to your phone?

For $4 I have no complaints and would recommend it to anyone who likes ordering things from overseas and then forgetting about it until it arrives. I'd link it but I don't know what the rules are on GBATemp about linking to Ebay.

Here's a good grip Here is the actually good grip for a N2DS XL, it's really solid and way higher quality than the one for my New 3DS XL. The stand actually works, the handles have a shape that feels better to hold, and it comes with a stylus and a holder in the handle for said stylus. The clips were very weak and small that held it in but that was nothing some pliers and a lighter couldn't fix, just melting it a little and bending it until it kept its shape fixed it perfectly.

Last edited by trecko1234, Feb 8, 2018
  7. TurdPooCharger
    OP

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Ah, yes. The Crystal Case hand grip for the New 3DS XL. Personally, I wished they made an up-scaled version of the New 3DS grip for the New 3DS XL (opps, brainfart lol) still made and sold that special variant Monster Hunter Generations for the New 3DS XL.

I had a Cyber Gadget V2 and currently own a Monster Hunter Double Cross hunting gear hand grips (both for the N3DSXL). Were it not for the rubber coating and dedicated shoulder buttons, the N3DS generic grip would given those two a run for its money.

I bought mine from eBay shipped from China, too. The ones already here in North America, ready to ship, and sold on Amazon cost about $8 to $12 for those who are willing to pay for expedience. Yay/boo for the free market. The funny thing was I bought that Double Cross grip from Japan about a week earlier than the eBay one. That Crystal Case arrived to Florida after a month from purchase date where else that Double Cross took an additional 2 weeks after the Crystal Case arrived. Japan's export customs are a tease that borderline emotional torture, LOL.

That twisting technique would not have worked for the small size of the N3DS and under a kid's care. There's little leeway to twist or bend the system and hand grip to pop out the notches. I'm pretty sure my niece would have chipped her nails, scratched the 3DS case, broken the clips, or worst yet applied pressure at the top screen cracking the LCD. I came close to buying a $60 used Cyber Gadget N3DS grip because those notches in the long term would have been 3DS death.

In case anyone wonders why one would remove a 3DS from a hand grip, there are some games played by holding the system vertically like a book. Style Saavy/Style Boutque for the DS is a prime example of this.

Seriously, try the extended button and pull string mods if you get the chance. Your hands will thank you for it. It's a damn shame these grips don't come like this at the factory.

Eh, I didn't go out my way to fix the kickstand. The power adapter ended up being an unintended solution and afterthought cherry on top. I can see using the kickstand as a way to display and pose the 3DS a certain way. Some users, however, do use their kickstands to watch 3D movies and pr0n on the go. Yes, there are homebrew pr0n. :ph34r:

You're allowed to link to *reputable, online stores that sell hard goods. GBAtemp doesn't allow linking to or directly mentioning websites that contain warez, roms, or software deemed illegal.

*Places like eBay and aliexpress are case-by-case depending on seller and product.

Too bad that N2DSXL grip blocks the speaker ports, which are already poor audio level to begin with. The good thing is that it does smooth out the sharp edges cutting into your palms. Another bad is the game cart port being blocked off, but I guess that's not much a hassle for those who homebrew in the darkside. :evil:

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Feb 8, 2018
  8. trecko1234

trecko1234 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 10, 2013
    United States
    You'd think it blocks it, but there's actually a small cutout for the speakers and it focuses the audio better towards your ears. And the cartridge slot is totally accessible, there is plenty of room to flip open the flap to access the SD card and cartridge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trigger-Gr...andle-for-New-Nintendo-3DS-XL-LL/302218895198

Here is the grip I was mentioning. Buying it was really confusing because it had pictures of 3 different grips in the images but the real one is the last couple pictures.

Also I linked the outdated version of the grip for the New 2DS XL, this is the correct updated one.

Last edited by trecko1234, Feb 8, 2018
  9. TurdPooCharger
    OP

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Retrofitted Dedicated Shoulder Buttons Mod

[​IMG]

This mod requires replicating the Monster Hunter (Double) Cross hand grip design using a CAD software such as SolidWorks. A 3D printer and/or molding machine recreates a scaled down version of the shoulder buttons section. Care is taken in creating the new piece to flow with the contours of the hand grip. The shoulder buttons section is essentially an adapter piece. It would have a ledge that permanently bonds to the back edge of the Crystal Case N3DS hand grip using a strong adhesive like JB Weld.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Feb 9, 2018
  10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I own one of those Cyber Gadget grips, it's pretty nice and doesn't have all those issues you mentioned.
    But, it's really hard to insert because the plastic tabs catch on the seam along the back of the 3DS and the 3DS is stuck halfway slotted in, I have to physically pry the plastic tabs away from the console to get them out of the seam just enough for the 3DS to slot in fully. Removing it is luckily much easier, but still requires a bit of prying as the tabs catch on the seam again. At least I'm not worried that the thing will break, it seems to be made of the world's strongest plastic. The 3DS would sooner break than that grip.

It does make the 3DS a lot more comfortable to use though, I can't play for a long time without it or my fingers start going numb.

11. TurdPooCharger
    OP

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Is your Cyber Gadget grip for a N3DS? I had the V2 one for the N3DSXL before giving it away as a gift. The 3DS was inserted bottom corners first into the little clip thingies, and then the back tab was pulled back so that the rest of the system can drop in. That doesn't work for yours? If that's the case, that's like the twisting removal technique @trecko1234 mentioned not working because this system is too small with not much give.

[​IMG]
    That pain holding a plastic shaped brick is your nerves warning you that your hands are turning into crab claws. Maybe not as bad as those PSP Monster Hunter fans who used the claw technique but still bad.

Is it just me, but does your Cyber Gadget grip gives you the strange fetish of wanting to hold the 3DS? I used to occasionally hold the 3DS and grip in hand without turning the system on to play. TBH, I miss that nice smooth texture.

12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The problem is, the tab barely pulls back at all and only if I use considerable force.
    I have a small n3DS.

The PSP did the same thing for me.

Also, i think that's just you.

13. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    The PSP C-Stick mod is amazing for monster hunter.

14. jt_1258

jt_1258 Human?

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    for cryin out loud dude, put the images in a spoiler section, the op seems massive compared to anything I've ever seen before

15. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    How about solder-blobbing over the resistors at the audio jack for restoring sound levels for headphones?

16. TurdPooCharger
    OP

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Even better.

Analog Joystick C-Stick + Buttons Relocation Mods
    [​IMG]
    Not practical. Possible but very improbable. These hardmods are stretching the capability of what could be done on the N3DSXL. A custom fabricated shell is required, which you would have to call up someone in China to mold one to this layout. Also, a custom fabricated, miniaturized daughterboard for the X-Y-B-A buttons is needed to lower and fit them in their new spots. The last unknown would be determining if the I/O for the joy stick and c-stick are cross compatible. The relocated (Start) and (Select) buttons are the least of your worries.

??? Are you referring to my first post? I put everything else in spoilers except for the images as I assumed a good many people would skip reading the walls of text and go straight for the eye candy. I didn't mean to offend anyone if that is what I've done with those images. If I were to put those pictures in spoilers, the typical reader might assume at first glance an empty post with nothing to show.

I'm not familiar with this type of mod. Does adding a resistor to the audio jack affect the output impedance -> increasing audio level? I've read this is a bad way to gain volume depending how delicate the sound system is. Most folks at head-fi.org recommend some sort of portable amplifier if you want gainz.

17. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    There's already resistors there, limiting the volume to protect kids' ears. Solder-blobbing over them just restores the full volume.

18. TurdPooCharger
    OP

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Thanks for sharing this mod. I'll give it a try should I ever have to open the N3DS for repairs. We're talking SMD sized resistors to blob over and no harm to 3DS reliability? Can the volume get loud enough to make one go deaf if you solder all of them, and can the resistors be blobbed incrementally for fine tuning without ruining the sound balance?

Jayro likes this.
  19. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    This should answer your questions better than I can: https://gbatemp.net/threads/hardwar...volume-of-your-3ds-some-models-so-far.400221/

20. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    Your niece is very lucky to such a caring and responsible family.

Has her opinion of "real games" changed?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted