GBAtemp Exclusive Nintendo's Paid Online: a yearly checkup/opinion piece

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Meteor7, Sep 14, 2019.

1. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    Nintendo is about making you feel like a child again, not being kiddy (I mean isn't that what sony and microsoft strive for?). I'm sure people who grew up with playstation feel the same way about ratchet and clank, jak and daxter, etc. with Nintendo, you know what to expect from their games.

2. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 25, 2016
    Italy
    Nintendo might be just an animated corpse but Switch is one of the fastest selling consoles of all time.

3. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2019
    United States
    Fastest selling =! Good

4. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    just got a yearly nso so far been playing starfox and other free games from eshop (mind you this is on the lite) i really dont have $$$ for games quite yet may start up gamefly again

5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Opinions != fact

6. kisamesama

kisamesama GBAtemp Fan

Sep 29, 2008
    United States
    What online play is p2p?? Then why the fck is it not free?

DuoForce likes this.
  7. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    Within an entire year, all they did was add SNES games. This service needs more!

8. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    There are no JP servers because it is all peer2peer. You know what P2P is, right?

9. Grmmish

Grmmish GBAtemp Fan

Sep 6, 2018
    United States
    I have not paid for Switch Online and won't but...

Are you guys REALLY telling me.....
    4 dollars for a month of:
    Shitty online play;
    A load of "Cheaply emulated" NES and SNES games;
    Some half-bakes deals, if any at all;
    Cloud saves (Even though we should be able to back them up ourselves but we can't.);

... For FOUR dollars? To be honest... It's a waste of money for me personally but by judging the fact that you idiots spend your 20 dollars on Fortnite V-Bucks and temporary online-only games and in real life snacks and shit just to be consumed... You're better off using your FOUR dollars on this service. Don't bash Nintendo for having "Abyssmal online" if the shit is 4 dollars. That's how much you are paying and that's how much what you're getting is worth. I'd rather spend my FOUR dollars on that garbage instead of the garbage you people waste your money on.

P.S.: For those of you saying how the NES/SNES games aren't a "Service" or is a "Freebie" or whatever.
    No. It's an incentive to paying for Switch Online. Just like online plays itself is an incentive for paying for Switch Online. There're not differences here. As soon as you are no longer subscribed, you lose access to SNES/NES games. So no, those also are NOT Freebies, either. They are what you are paying for. just like online play. Same goes for PS+ free games. You lose access to them as soon as your PS+ Expires. XBOX Live GOLD Games for Gold, on the other hand, IS a freebie. The free games are literally changed to free as soon as you have the service and it will now be in your account as "Bought" regardless if you still have Gold or not. Please stop throwing random information out there... There's no point neither is there an argument with whether NES/SNES games are "Freebies" or "apart of service".

Last edited by Grmmish, Sep 22, 2019
    DrakeLyon likes this.
  10. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    They run superbly so you win stupid comment of the day

11. MagnesG

MagnesG GBAtemp Lurker

Sep 11, 2016
    United States
    The deals are significant enough for those who go for digital. 2 games for $100, up to 4 vouchers max, with most Nintendo published titles included, and some.

They have the godly Tetris 99.

And you pay for about 1-2 dollars for a family plan, which you can change any time now.

banjo2 likes this.
  12. kisamesama

kisamesama GBAtemp Fan

Sep 29, 2008
    United States
    he means emulation of snes and nes is very easy and cheap....

13. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Whatever he meant he stil critized 4 dollars a month to play loads of snes nes classics which stil wins stupid comment of the day

14. Grmmish

Grmmish GBAtemp Fan

Sep 6, 2018
    United States
    Nah. Notice my quotes.
    I only played Switch online when it was free and I had 0 issues with lag, honestly.
    And I played NES Online application using NSP. And I see 0 problem with them in any way.

My quotes were simply mocking the poster for calling the emulated games poorly implemented. Even though I personally don't think so, but I was saying EVEN IF THEY WERE POORLY EMULATED... Still a good deal.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You're actually incorrect here. I do not think they were poorly implemented AT ALL on NES/SNES online Application.
    I was only mocking the poster for calling them "Poorly implemented" meaning "Even if they were poorly implemented, my argument on it being worth it still stands."

banjo2 likes this.
  15. kisamesama

kisamesama GBAtemp Fan

Sep 29, 2008
    United States
    ok for paying switch online for the snes and nes stuff... but online multiplayer should be free .. you are already buying the game and multiplayer is p2p and is not even working well... this should be free.

16. Jokey_Carrot

Jokey_Carrot professional retard

Oct 23, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Britian
  17. Frederica Bernkastel

Frederica Bernkastel GBAtemp Psycho!

GBAtemp Patron
    Frederica Bernkastel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 31, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Hinamizawa
    To be perfectly honest, now that they've added Super Metroid to the SNES emulator I'm quite content paying for Nintendo's online service for the medium-term.

banjo2 likes this.
  18. Gimzie

Gimzie professional moron

Aug 6, 2016
    United States
    Dunno if a whole lot of people realize this, but the whole "p2p vs dedicated servers" argument doesn't necessarily hold true for every game. Dedicated servers can definitely improve the online experience for certain games, but for more competitive games such as Smash Ultimate, you would get much better results via peer-to-peer connections, simply because a server would introduce too much latency.

I think the issue is largely in how peer-to-peer is executed in Nintendo's competitive games, and not necessarily the fact that these games do use p2p systems. And considering this, I think it's a little unreasonable to have to pay money for peer-to-peer connections, when (to my knowledge) they do not require any work on Nintendo's end.

19. Tiger21820

Tiger21820 Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2010
    United States
    AREA UNKNOWN
    Great! Why don't you start now? Seriously! When it comes to the big three, Nintendo's company & consumer relations are lower than you could EVER imagine!! How can Nintendo be ok with that?

Last edited by Tiger21820, Sep 23, 2019
  20. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I'm not sure what you mean. the saves are only stored on cloud or both cloud and system? I tested cloud saving with dkc tropical freeze by deleting my save, then redownloading it by default. it worked. what I think may be a problem is if your system breaks, you buy a new one, then want the system to download the saves for all games. I mean by default it downloads the save from cloud if it's not the same as what's on the system, so if you enter a game for the first time again, it might make a cloud backup of the empty save before downloading your actual save from cloud. that's what I'm confused by. how do you stop that from happening? does the game have to be inserted or on the micro sd card to allow you to download saves? imo, it seems like too much can go wrong with the way cloud saving works.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted