GBAtemp Exclusive Nintendo's Paid Online: a yearly checkup/opinion piece

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Meteor7, Sep 14, 2019.

1. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    No indie developer has the resources to maintain such an expensive framework (maybe CD PROJEKT RED? lol).

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't see how that's a relevant point. Your point of contention was that high end servers were only required for MMO games and not typical multiplayer games you normally come across. You were incorrect and now you're backpedaling. Heck, Activision even runs *their own* dedicated servers for Call of Duty because they found server solutions offered by Microsoft and Sony to be insufficient for their purposes. Imagine running a battle royale game like Fortnite or Apex Legends in P2P mode - have fun simultaneously connecting to and running an instance for 60-100 players, keeping track of *all of their movements and actions* on your wee little console. These are not some weird edge cases, they're mainstream titles with millions of active players. In fact, P2P multiplayer implementation is *frowned upon* in any competitive title nowadays, people relentlessly made fun of For Honor for resorting to P2P which effectively crippled the game.

osaka35 likes this.
  3. piratesephiroth

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    The point is that P2P will always be the rule for the majority of multiplayer games. The availability of a feature does not imply on it becoming a new standard.
    VR is supported by modern systems. Are all modern games using VR?

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You're changing the subject again because you have egg on your face. There is no reason why an enormous company like Nintendo should run their games on an outdated P2P infrastructure that all the other major players in the industry have long since abandoned. Running servers like those that power PSN and XBL is expensive, they're expansive cloud-based services that provide significantly more features than "just matchmaking", that's what the conversation was about before you interjected. This exchange is pretty much over, I've said my peace, you're incorrect when it comes to the nature of modern online services.

5. HylianBran

HylianBran Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2019
    United States
    Honestly, I was never really bothered by it, probably because it's only $20 a year, and I really appreciate how Nintendo isn't charging more for SNES game on Switch Online. I think it just didn't hit me as hard as most because I've never been one into public online voice chat, and if I want to have voice chat with friends I'll just use Discord or Skype. Also on the online topic all my friends live relatively nearby, so Ultimate's online isn't too too bad. I've been playing Dream Land 3 on SNES Switch Online with my friend via the netplay, and it's been working really well. But I would like it if Nintendo added a dedicated achievements/trophies system.

banjo2 likes this.
  6. piratesephiroth

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Nah, it's you who keep making up new excuses. You're now saying that all online multiplayer games MUST have MMO features otherwise they're outdated.
    But you're probably leaving the discussion to play Destiny on your Switch, that's fine.

Oh, but what about Steam? Are their servers cheap?

Last edited by piratesephiroth, Sep 18, 2019
  7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Steam is primarily a storefront, it has basic social media features like messaging, chat and achievements, but it's based on a completely different principle and is self-funding - I already explained how that works. To my knowledge Valve doesn't run the servers that enable online play for the games they sell on their store - individual developers do, they simply utilise the Steam API to take advantage of the features it offers.

I also never said that "all games need to have MMO features", whatever you mean by "MMO features" - what I said was that dedicated game servers are preferable to P2P connections from a technical standpoint because they provide a level playing field for all the players which cannot be influenced by any of the individual clients as the actual outcomes of player actions are calculated by the server within the match instance. If you don't quite understand what that means, when you play a game and "hit" another player, you can't adjust the hitbox in your client to give yourself a leg up and your opponent can't decrease his hitbox to become effectively invulnerable - the server knows the movement of both players inside the instance it runs and *it* decides whether the hit registered or not - that's the advantage. Of course a lot of times this leads to funny side effects in the event of packets getting garbled on the way to the server, but overall it's a superior alternative to relying on one player to host the game.

Even a game with a small amount of players like a fighting game can benefit from a dedicated server since it eliminates the possibility of your opponent simply disconnecting before they lose a match to preserve their ranking which is a well-known and extremely frustrating problem. I would love for you to explain how that's an MMO feature considering the fact that it involves two players. There are no "excuses", only an ever-increasing list of reasons why you're incorrect.

8. leafeon34

leafeon34 Expecto Patronum!

Sep 30, 2014
    United Kingdom
    AzkaBANNED.
    The Wii did not offer GB, GBA or GameCube virtual console. Early Wii’s offer GameCube backwards compatibility, but it is not a virtual console. There is no official method to play GameBoy and GameBoy Advance games on the Wii. This is why you need to fact check your posts before posting them.

3dswitch likes this.
  9. IncredulousP

IncredulousP GBAtemp's Resident Bastard

Aug 21, 2012
    United States
    a Fuking van
    p2p is serverless, as long as your console has a nic and prewritten freely available c libraries anyone can send information p2p, which is why this "service" is bs. It's just a paywall, you're paying for internet access twice.

10. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    What's the limit The Switch can take on Micro SD cards anyway?

11. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    To keep it short, Nintendo is bilking its users for online service with no justification. They could have just as easily sold those 'access games' a la carte as the new virtual console and been done with it. Locking up cloud saves behind a paid subscription is also exceedingly petty, considering that nintendo itself created the problem by not allowing users to be able to back up their own saves on theit own storage medium(s) of choice.

Once again, there is no reason on this earth to not have a modded Switch console. Unfortunately, they were much too quick in wigging out and patching the best possible exploit we've had. Now, where I'm sitting, I'm forced to choose between the revised model with a usable amount of battery life, or hunting down a launch model at a marked up price and the cost of the jig or whatever it needs to be suitably hacked.

12. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinker™

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    I don't think of NSO as a bad service at all, the price's cheap. But definetly, Nintendo could've delivered better stuff. I think NES and SNES, although a strong offer, is still not enough. I'm hoping they'd include at least N64 or Gameboy games, and that'd be incredibly great. The current lineup of VC games they got on NES and SNES Online is great, but it covers a very small amout of retro gamers IMO.

Plus, from what i've seen, Nintendo's servers just not it. They could upgrade their servers, and they have the money to do it if they want to. With their relationship with Microsoft so great, i don't see why they couldn't borrow some of the technology from Azure, for example. Apparently Sony has already done something of sorts.

13. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 25, 2016
    Italy
    I want to play Smash, Splatoon 2 and Mario Maker online.

banjo2 likes this.
  14. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    I've purchased a year just yesterday. For the NES and SNES games is worth it. A lot of gems there to catch up with, because I never had the change to get them when they hit the shelves.

Ice Climber isn't a God damn filler title. It's a fantastic team game with a healthy dose of competition in each summit.

Online gaming is worthless to me and cloud saves always rubbed me the wrong way.

I'd say The Price is Right. For what it offers.

15. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    here idk
    Uh, N3DS player here: it was abyssmal.
    I have yet to play through a match without it stopping to buffer. Not "just" upwards of 20 frames of input lag. No, matches straight up stop and buffer.

And I have gigabit.

Meteor7 and codezer0 like this.
  16. Fusion Luigi

Fusion Luigi Pun Master/Loser

Feb 11, 2016
    United States
    Warp Zone
    I've got 2/3 of the Smash roster in Elite Smash and most of it was hell. Combine it with the joycon drift I have right now and that shitty GSP system, I'm not 100% on SSBU's side for gameplay. Local wireless has lag, no custom smash/smashdown/squad strike and you cannot change the rules of a lobby without closing it. Shared Content is neat, but there needs to be some kind of cleanup as it's a mess. Spectate doesn't have gambling (understandable but you could use points), people in battle get lag from spectators in Battle Arenas, and you can't host your own tourney online. This is why I have free online for a year and I won't pay until it gets fixed.

Meteor7 likes this.
  17. aykay55

aykay55 Professional Idiot

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Where the buffalo roam.
    You forgot to mention the “Game Trials” thing they had started. For two weeks, you could play the entirety of Mario Tennis: Aces (or Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker in Japan) for free with a Switch Online subscription. The game was also discounted heavily (for a Nintendo game) during that period and a couple days after. The icon in the home menu displayed a timer with how many days/hours you had left to play it.

banjo2 likes this.
  18. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    off topic, but one game I think needs a discount, speaking of which, is kirby. the game is like 4-6 hours long, and it was priced at $60. at least captain toad was priced at $40 iirc (not including discount).

19. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    As soon as I get a Switch Lite I am hacking my old hackable Switch just to play online without a paywall.

20. MagnesG

MagnesG GBAtemp Lurker

Sep 11, 2016
    United States
    I think it was 512gb?