GBAtemp Exclusive Nintendo's Paid Online: a yearly checkup/opinion piece

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Meteor7, Sep 14, 2019.

1. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    it's 2TBs, but those don't exist afaik. 1TB does, but it's hundreds of dollars.

3dswitch likes this.
  2. dragon12

dragon12 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2012
    Brazil
    Like I always said, it's a tax to make login. Regardless of benefits Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony offer, they should give the consumer an option to play online for free. It's ridiculous that I pay US$60 for a game and to have access to part of its content I have to pay for a service.

3. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    At least Sony gives you Free PS4 games once a month.

dragon12 likes this.
  4. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Can people stop saying ther free - sony does offer a great value service but it's not fkin free:D

dragon12 likes this.
  5. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    But is it ok for 2020?

6. Manurocker95

Manurocker95 Game Developer & Pokémon Master

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    Okay, my bad, like WiiU, 3DS and Wii’s N64 games. Anyway, I still don’t understand why they don’t give support for them

3dswitch likes this.
  7. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Same for the Nes and Snes games being free.

But you are right, I should say Sony paid suscription gives you a few digital PS4 games a month included in the price.

8. Ericzander

Ericzander ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pip Contributor
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    I'm curious because I genuinely don't know. Does that mean that the reason disconnecting to preserve rank in most fighting games--even ones that released in the past few years like Dragonball Fighterz--works is because it's not being played on a dedicated server? It's super frustrating.

9. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    What's worse is that Nintendo used to have dedicated servers for the Wii and DS and it was free.

But okay everyone else is charging money, okay? Then at least give a decent service dang it!

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's one of the reasons. A well-designed P2P fighter would automatically register a disconnection as a forfeit, awarding the victory to whoever "stays online", so to speak - this is what NetherRealms tried to do when implementing Quitalities. Players quickly found a workaround when they realised that a victory or a loss is not registered until they select Rematch or Quit on the screen after the fight, which led to an even worse stalemate that can often last minutes. Then they found *another* workaround which automatically quit that screen of they disconnected the controller, awarding them the well-deserved win. If the entire session was an instance on a dedicated server, none of this would matter and issues of lag would be greatly diminished, but on the whole it's not really cost-effective to run dedicated servers for games with just two players like a typical tournament fighter. Ultimately anything can be exploited, but dedicated servers would greatly diminish these kinds of shenanigans.

11. zeveroth

zeveroth GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2009
    United States
    I paid for the first year. It was only 20 bucks. I was going to pay again for the family plan this year. I only used it for the nes and Tetris game mostly. Even $35 for 7 ppl is a good deal. Service isn't spectacular but hey, you get what you pay for.

12. Ampersound

Ampersound Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2018
    Germany
    Yeah, but how about being able to run Discord on your Switch while playing a game? Just connect to a bluetooth headset and go, would be way more comfortable than whatever Nintendo is trying to pull with their app

13. |<roni&g

|<roni&g GBAtemp Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    United States
    UK
    Nintendo charging for online is a disgrace and one of the key reasons I didn’t pick up a switch. Nintendo injected poison into their usually crisp and clean systems and some dumb cunt morons actually argued in favour of them charging for the “service”, it’s not a service it’s a barrier, a toll road, pay to pass me and get what used to be free.
    Fuck Nintendo, they’ve turned devilish like the others and their best days are behind us. I’d love to see them go down like Sega after this online and re release/port BS (no fool you don’t need to argue and say “Nintendo isn’t going anywhere” I know they’re not but I’d love to see them sink)

EDIT: just read through some of the posts and idiots, morons, fools are still arguing in favour of them charging for what was always free, absolute dumbfucks “If you don’t like the service don’t pay for it” < something a daft cunt says in regards to switch online

Last edited by |<roni&g, Sep 19, 2019
    DrakeLyon likes this.
  14. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I hear what yr saying but yr msg is absolutely pointless unless nintendo hear you - mayb they don't get enough complaints re ther online service so if I was you email them and tell em why you refused to buy the Switch and least tht way yr voice is heard

15. HylianBran

HylianBran Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2019
    United States
    I see your point, good idea.

16. |<roni&g

|<roni&g GBAtemp Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    United States
    UK
    Nintendo won’t listen to just one customer/critic, it takes the masses to stand up and tell the industry what we want. It’s mostly kids & teens that fuel this paywall & crate poison because they don’t know any better and the parents are too stupid to educate their kids on how games were and should be, buy it and done no BS payments after the purchase of the game.

HylianBran likes this.
  17. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    NSO is definitely not great.

18. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    NSO is definitely not shit

19. DrakeLyon

DrakeLyon Console Perfectionist

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    Moss Point, MS
    I'm glad I never got a Nintendo Switch. No achievement system, shitty online service, tailored for children and was quickly exploited and piracy enabled when it was released. Sadly, if I were to get a Switch now, it would only be for the piracy and CFW with mods. Granted I don't support piracy, it'd be hard not to with the waste of money that the Switch is without joining the rest of the world.
    Nintendo can still fix this whole thing. They can simply sellout! Become an entire accessory to Playstation and Xbox for more retro-style game provisioning and portability, leaving the 'adults' to do the real work.
    Right now, Nintendo is just an animated corpse.

20. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    One thing I agree with you is they def should of had an achievement system-If you don't support piracy then you shouldn't do it no matter what-and nintendo doesn't tailor for children-millions of us were bought up on nintendo games and they may look cartoony but most of us adults today will never think of Mario donkey kong zelda yoshi as childish as ther challenging games to finish and I guarantee you ther loads of gamer adults out ther playing Mario kart with ther bf or gf - eating haribo sweets now thts childish :lol: - you just hav to look at links awakening review and the soon Luigi mansion 3 to see nintendo games are aimed for all ages and make games you want to play - nintendo is in our blood and it is aimed at all ages