Sony Launches World's Fastest Personal Internet... In Japan

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"enough for me" and words to that effect.....

You mean you would not like
You and all your friends to be able to operate a network over the internet at greater than average LAN speeds

This includes relatively simple options to do
File shares to crazy sizes. Being private file shares well.... whether you push this to something resembling a darknet is up to you.
Proper backups. I am not sure whether I want to drop words like SAN at this point but maybe, just maybe.
Remote access. Given RDP even does OK for 3d and audio these days and given virtualisation is not far behind in terms of having good 3d.... personal onlive service. Given you may even be within a city it could do very well for you.
I have set up terminal servers for businesses before and having ones at home is not unheard of (I have remote access to my VMs but I have not shifted a house to them yet)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/03/not_spot_diary/page3.html ? $50 USD is not much but split between a couple of mates...
Proper video conference and voice over IP stuff. Now latency is a bigger issue in some cases and more fibre is often worse for this. However it could afford a res and options that having a skype party might not be quite such a sad affair, having a little "wall" you can walk up to and speak to another office is something I have seen done as well.
Your own little intranet but seen as it is now 2013 and lots of version control, wiki, blog..... type stuff exists.
Straight video streaming from your file share (with or without VNC/RDP)- I like and can set up XBMC but a straight portable one wired directly into my fileshare and still controlled over my network device.

All that is just off the top of my head (I do not note myself as one for far out thinking either) and none of it is especially hard to do over LAN right now (and given the only difference is set up a VPN...).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work