The Ultimate Guide for Wii U Homebrew

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by jv110, Jul 24, 2016.

1. jv110
    OP

jv110 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2016
    Brazil
    If you have enough privileges, please delete (or lock) this topic. Please do so if you can. Thanks.

The Ultimate Guide for Wii U Homebrew

Includes detailed instructions on every method of using and developing homebrew, lists the most useful homebrew available and has handy download links for everything.
    I made this because the other guides simply don't give any instructions, but instead just give us information about FW vulnerability and news and stuff.

Latest FW:
    Vulnerable FW: 3.0.0, 3.1.0, 4.0.0, 4.1.0, 5.0.0, 5.1.0, 5.3.2, 5.4.0, 5.5.0, 5.5.1
    Recommended FW: 5.3.2

NOTE: This guide is made for 5.5.1. I may post instructions for other versions too, but since my Wii U is 5.5.1, don't count on it being released too soon.

Vulnerable Software:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Available Exploits:

Updating:

Is it safe to update?

Should I update?

Updating via a disc:

Hacking:

Blocking Updates:

Preparing your SD Card:

What method should I use?

Running Browserhax [Easy way]:

Running Browserhax [Self-hosted]:

Self-Hosting:

PC:

Android:

Useful Homebrew:

The Homebrew Launcher:

Homebrew App Store:

Loadiine:

Cafiine:

Saviine:

nnupatcher:

NUSGrabber:

WUD Installer:

Homebrew Development:

Setting up:

Setting up the homebrew project:

Loading symbols:

System libraries:

FAQs:

Last edited by jv110, Jul 30, 2016
    Deck of Noobs likes this.
  2. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 23, 2013
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  3. Deck of Noobs

Deck of Noobs Politically Incorrect

Apr 9, 2016
    United States
    3ds.guide
    i feel like this should partially be merged with the existing guide, anyone else?

SirBeethoven likes this.
  4. jv110
    OP

jv110 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2016
    Brazil
    This one actually gives instructions and teaches how to do stuff. Plus, it has development instructions (which I didn't notice were unfinished when I first submitted, but I'm working on it).

Honestly, I think they're too different to be merged.

Last edited by jv110, Jul 24, 2016
  5. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    If you're going to call it the ultimate guide then you need a lot more content that you are currently missing. It needs to be all inclusive.

Plus you are telling people that they should update to 5.5.1. This is your opinion. You have to be careful here. Even though I share your opinion we have no proof that the next exploit will work on 5.5.1.

You need to explain why somebody would want to self host vs. Online.

(loadiine.ovh is a site created by a gbatemp user and won't be around forever. It has been down before and doesn't work 100% of the time for everyone)

You need to help different users of firmware understand the different ways to run the kexploit. You need to explain WUP Installer and how to use it for uses not on 5.5.1.

You need to explain better how to update games using the many different variations of nusgrabber.

You also didn't mention any of the different offline hosting methods such as android or raspberry pi.

There is a lot more homebrew that you are missing as well. I applaud your effort but but you seem to missing a lot of content to be calling it the ultimate guide.

Last edited by Kafluke, Jul 24, 2016
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. jv110
    OP

jv110 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2016
    Brazil
    OK, thanks, including them. I just wanted to be certain this would be up still today, really.

Last edited by jv110, Jul 25, 2016
  7. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Keep working on it and include relevant info from the current ultimate guide and it will grow in popularity.

8. jv110
    OP

jv110 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2016
    Brazil
    Added/changed a bunch of stuff.
    Working on injecting VC games.
    Will add modding once I get Cafiine to work (help?).

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I didn't notice using Cafiine is the same as just modifying in the SD, but in real-time. Oh well.

Last edited by jv110, Jul 25, 2016
  9. rakichaneru

rakichaneru GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    This is much better for getting started than the stickied guide, because this one actually walks you through the setup steps. For instance, the sticky guide doesn't even mention needing an SD Card or how to format it. The first mention of an SD card in the current sticky is to just start putting programs onto it.

This one is also far more concise and flows better, IMO. To someone who's truly just getting started, this guide is far more useful. The current sticky is aimed at people who already know what's going on.

Last edited by rakichaneru, Jul 30, 2016
  10. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    Pretty good. But it isn't "ultimate". It needs to be like CJB100's guide to be ULTIMATE. If this does anything different and isn't just a copy of the sticky, than I will reconsider.

7Robins likes this.
  11. jv110
    OP

jv110 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2016
    Brazil
    It's totally different. Did you read it?
    Like the above guy said, "this one actually walks you through". It actually gives instructions, and i's also a bit more all-around.
    The sticky just gives info and updates, and occasionally gives some weird instructions. It's totally unusable, and I only got to boot up homebrew through FlimFlam69's tutorial which gives actual instructions.

12. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Maybe title it "Ultimate Introduction to Wii U Homebrew" instead?...

VinLark likes this.
  13. jv110
    OP

jv110 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2016
    Brazil
    Introduction is something completely different than a guide afaik.

14. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Well but that's what this is, isn't it? A newb-friendly guide to getting homebrew running on the Wii U for the first time?

I'd say that the Definitive Guide is sort of a hub that has the goal of having as much information under one roof as possible. You're going to want to distinguish yourself from the Definitive Guide in some way

15. jv110
    OP

jv110 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2016
    Brazil
    It's an all-around guide. It teaches how to get homebrew running, for the first time or not, how to install homebrew, make your own homebrew, how to make sure you'll be in 5.3.2 if you update through a disc, how to use the most known homebrew and has some troubleshooting and FAQs.

Then the Definitive Guide should be renamed to Definitive Newspaper or Definitive Info Hub. I don't think I should change this, it's a guide.

16. Neouni

Neouni Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 28, 2004
    Netherlands
    This guide currently starts by listing stuff.
    Try placing things on top that are important,
    once you served the newcomers continue.

17. CJB100

CJB100 Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    @jv110: I saw this a while back, and I think honestly, you're doing too much of what the Definitive Guide does. I haven't ever said it up til now, because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, and I very much respect fiveighteen, the person who is currently moderating the Definitive Wii U Hacking Guide, but there is room for a second Definitive Wii U Guide up top in the stickies. As someone has said, that guide is aimed towards people who already know what's going on. If you want to make one, you should do a guide like "Definitive Introductory Guide to Hacking Your Wii U," which is more like what I've done for the vWii side of things. Act as though you have never even touched your Wii U before, and document every single solitary step from beginning to end. Then do it again for all available methods. Once you have the steps written out, organize them in an easily digestible way. I would suggest describing each individual hacking method and then describing the benefits and complications of each one, then the steps for each.

VinLark and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  18. jv110
    OP

jv110 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2016
    Brazil
    Can someone with enough privilege delete or lock this topic? I'd apprecciate it. It seems nobody likes it, and I should've done something completely different.
    Please do so if you can.