Hacking The Ultimate Guide for Wii U Homebrew

malucart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you have enough privileges, please delete (or lock) this topic. Please do so if you can. Thanks.

The Ultimate Guide for Wii U Homebrew

Includes detailed instructions on every method of using and developing homebrew, lists the most useful homebrew available and has handy download links for everything.
I made this because the other guides simply don't give any instructions, but instead just give us information about FW vulnerability and news and stuff.

Latest FW:
Vulnerable FW: 3.0.0, 3.1.0, 4.0.0, 4.1.0, 5.0.0, 5.1.0, 5.3.2, 5.4.0, 5.5.0, 5.5.1
Recommended FW: 5.3.2

NOTE: This guide is made for 5.5.1. I may post instructions for other versions too, but since my Wii U is 5.5.1, don't count on it being released too soon.

Vulnerable Software:

• Internet Browser

Available Exploits:
Internet Browser:
Browserhax
MP4hax

Updating:

Is it safe to update?
Latest FW: 5.5.1
Remember, you should never update. Only do so if you absolutely want to. Maybe the next exploit won't be available for the latest FW, who knows? Refer to the Should I update? section.
But is the latest FW vulnerable?
YES!
The latest FW is vulnerable!

Should I update?
Recommended FW: 5.3.2
There's no good reason to stay on 4.x or less. You'll be missing a lot of new system libraries from 5.x, and won't be able to play a lot of games.

If you are on 4.x or less, update.
But not to the current version! Unless you're just a common user, you'll be missing some stuff.
Refer to the Updating via a disc section.
If you are at 5.0.0, 5.3.2 or 5.5.x, don't update. You're fine.

Updating via a disc:
Try this if you're on 4.x and want to update.
Do NOT update if on 5.0.0, 5.3.2 or 5.5.x!

IMPORTANT: Delete all Internet connections, else it will update to the latest version!
If your version of a game is not listed, then don't update with it!

USA:

Super Smash Bros.:
Original:
83664A
Made in USA

Reprint:
101842A
Made in USA
5.3.0, 5.3.1, or 5.3.2

Re-reprint:
101986A
Made in Japan

Yoshi's Woolly World [Recommended]:
Original:
101997A
Made in Japan

Reprint:
101216A
Made in Japan

Mario Party 10 [Recommended]:
Red case:
101990A

Blue case:
101585A
Made in USA

Splatoon:
Original:
101215A
Made in Japan

EUR:

Stupendous Stomping Sisters:
Original:
2323640T
Made in Japan

Reprint:
2324331T
Made in Japan
Unknown, 5.3.2 or less

Mario Party 10 [Recommended]:
Original:
2324740T
Made in Japan

Splatoon [Recommended]:
Original:
2325231T
Made in Japan

Reprint:
2325147T
Made in Japan

Hacking:

Blocking Updates:
Tubehax
Go to Settings->Internet and edit your current Internet connection.
Turn Auto-Obtain DNS OFF
Set both primary and secondary DNS to 107.211.140.065

chncdcksn hax [Recommended]
Go to Settings->Internet and edit your current Internet connection.
Turn Auto-Obtain DNS OFF
Set both primary and secondary DNS to 104.236.072.203

Preparing your SD Card:
If not already FAT32, format your SD to it.
Create the necessary directories:
wiiu/apps/

Get the Homebrew Launcher. Put it inside that folder.
Should be in this format:
wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/boot.elf (& other files)

Any other homebrew should be installed the same way.

What method should I use?
If you're a true beginner, you'd most certainly just go the easy way (online method).
However there's actually some stuff you'd probably miss by going for the online method.

Why you should use the online method:
  • Doesn't need a PC
Why you should use the self-hosted method:
  • Always available (websites may go down)
  • Allows for developing homebrew
  • Allows for game modding using Cafiine
Personally I just use the online method when using Loadiine and the self-hosted method when developing or modding, but that's up to you.

Running Browserhax [Easy way]:
Open the Internet Browser.
Open Settings and delete all saved data.
If not the first time running this, you can just delete cookies.
Visit one of the following and add it to bookmarks so you don't need to type it in every time.
Do the necessary steps to start the exploit. Some start it directly, others require pressing a button.
If done right, the selected homebrew should open.

Running Browserhax [Self-hosted]:
To start your own server, refer to the Self-Hosting section in this guide.

Download this package:
https://www.mediafire.com/?popd0044kfl4q5f

Extract it to your server directory. Then, on your Wii U, open http://192.168.xxx.xxx:xxxx/HBLovh.mp4.
That'll open the Homebrew Launcher.

To run a homebrew in .bin format, just copy the code550.bin file to the server directory and open http://192.168.xxx.xxx:xxxx/ on your Wii U.

However, this method of running .bins doesn't run the kernel exploit, so unless you don't need kernel access, you'll have to export your homebrew to an .elf in some way.

Self-Hosting:

PC:
Get XAMPP.
The XAMPP server is at C:\xampp\htdocs\. Delete everything inside and replace with your own files.
Open XAMPP and press the first start button.

All set!
On your Wii U, go to http://yourip/fileto.run.

Android:
REMEMBER TO DISABLE MOBILE DATA! IF IT'S ENABLED, THE CONSOLE WILL UPDATE!
Download kWS, a server app.

Open it and enter Settings. Tap on "Home directory" and type in the full address of your folder.
Remember: full address. For example, if you have it in a folder named WiiU/ in your internal storage, it'll be storage/emulated/0/WiiU/, which can be shortened to sdcard/WiiU/.

Go back and start the server. It should show the IP and port.

All set!
On your Wii U, visit http://yourip:port/fileto.run.

Useful Homebrew:

The Homebrew Launcher:
Easier loading of homebrew. Loads apps in the wiiu/apps/ folder.
Automatically runs the kernel exploit.

Download:
https://github.com/dimok789/homebrew_launcher/releases

Homebrew App Store:
Handy app for downloading other apps.

Download:

https://github.com/vgmoose/hbas/releases

Loadiine:
Only functional Wii U backup loader as of now.
Does not allow online gaming.

Download:
https://github.com/dimok789/loadiine_gx2/releases

Game location:
wiiu/games/

Games should be in this format:
wiiu/games/The Name of the Game [GAMEID]/
For example:
wiiu/games/Super Mario Maker [AMAE01]/

Running Minecraft:
The game softlocks when using an account with a linked NNID. It thinks you're online (which you are), but since Loadiine doesn't let games connect to the Internet, it freezes.

To fix, either run in Smash mode or run with an account without a linked NNID.

Running Star Fox Zero:
The game takes about 1 hour to load.

To fix:
Repack data001.cpk and put it in the content folder. I don't know how to do this, but you can get a repacked data001.cpk on some websites. Google it.

Delete the Canada and English folders from the stream folder located in:
Star Fox Zero [AFXE01]/content/sound/stream

Create a directory called 'updates' in the 'Star Fox Zero' folder. Put any updates you have in that folder.
Star Fox Zero [AFXE01]/updates/vXX

Cafiine:
Real-time Wii U game modding over network.

Download:
https://github.com/NWPlayer123/Cafiine-5.5.X

Installing:
This time around it's mandatory to open your own server. Refer to the Self-Hosting section.
Download the Cafiine repo and extract it to a convenient folder. Mine's at C:\devkitPro\libwiiu\Cafiine.
Enter the installer folder. Open a command prompt and do make.
Copy the code550.bin generated inside bin/ to your server directory.
Now enter the server folder. Create directories named logs/ and cafiine_root/.
You're all set. Time to run it.

Open cafiine_server.exe and http://192.168.xxx.xxx:xxx/ on the Wii U browser.

The result? A black screen saying you must run kexploit before. The console is now freezed. Hold the power button to shut down.

TODO: I haven't even got this to work myself. It requires the kernel exploit, but I don't know how to run it without the HBL. Help?

Saviine:
Save manager that allows dumping or injecting of game saves. Works by streaming data with your Windows PC.

Warning: Experimental. The author is not held responsible for corruption of data.

Download:
https://github.com/Maschell/saviine/releases

nnupatcher:
eShop access with blocked update procedures on.

Download:
https://github.com/dibas/nnupatcher-hbl/releases

NUSGrabber:
Windows command line tool for downloading stuff from NUS.
For use with WUD Installer.

Download:
http://wupinstaller.com/NUSGrabber.rar

Note:
It is NOT possible to install full titles.

Usage:
NUS package list:http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Title_database

Download the program and extract it somewhere.
Now, open a command prompt and do NUSgrabber [id], where [id] is the ID of the package you want to download.

To install it, use WUD Installer (below).

WUD Installer:
FW version spoofer and software updater.
Can install anything from NUS downloaded by NUSGrabber.
Can spoof your FW version to the latest (5.5.1) using the version title packs.

Compatibility:
5.3.2, 5.4.0

Download:
In case you want to self-host this:
http://wupinstaller.com/wi.rar

5.5.1 version titles:
USA: http://wupinstaller.com/version_usa.rar
EUR: http://wupinstaller.com/version_eur.rar
JAP: http://wupinstaller.com/version_jap.rar

Warning:
This is permanent and currently can NOT be reverted.

Usage:
Download package with NUSGrabber and put the files in sd:/install/.
Insert the SD in the console.
Launch the Internet Browser and visit http://wupinstaller.com/wi (or, if self-hosting, visit your IP). You should be returned to the home menu.
Visit the same website again. You should be returned to the home menu again.
Exit to the Wii U menu. The install occurs in the background, and you won't receive any kind of feedback, so give it enough time (about 15 minutes). The exact time depends on the size of the update, your SD Card's speed and stuff like that. The version title is instantaneous.
Once you think it's done, reboot and check if it was installed correctly in Data Management (or System Settings if installing a version title).

If something wrong happens, reboot and try again.

Homebrew Development:

Setting up:
Get devkitPro if you haven't already. It should come with devkitPPC and libogc, which are required for Wii U development.
Get libwiiu. Yes, just download the repo as a ZIP.
Extract libwiiu to somewhere convenient. I have it at C:\devkitPro\libwiiu\.
Add the following paths as system variables:
C:\devkitPro\ as DEVKITPRO
C:\devkitPro\devkitARM\
as DEVKITARM
C:\devkitPro\devkitPPC\
as DEVKITPPC
C:\devkitPro\devkitPSP\
as DEVKITPSP

NOTE: It isn't necessary to add devkitARM or devkitPSP, but I added them anyway. They're used for 3DS and PSP programming, respectively.

Setting up the homebrew project:
The project is just an example with modified sources, really.
Because of the way the examples are set, it has to be 2 folders deep into the libwiiu folder.
For example, libwiiu/homebrew/example/.

The examples have a problem: they hardcode the source files in the Makefile.
To fix that and have it build whatever is in the src folder, replace
Code:
$(LD) $(LDFLAGS) -o $(build)/code550.bin $(build)/loader.o $(foreach o, $(shell find $(root)/bin/ -name "*.o"), $(libs)/550/*.o $(o))
with
Code:
$(LD) $(LDFLAGS) -o $(build)/code550.bin $(build)/loader.o $(foreach o, $(shell find $(root)/bin/ -name "*.o"), $(libs)/550/*.o $(o))

That's for the 5.5.x (main550) part, but to fix the others just put the same thing, just modifying $(build)/code550.bin to $(build)/codeXXX.bin and $(libs)/550/ to $(libs)/XXX/.

Loading symbols:
The function OSDynLoad_Acquire dynamically loads system libraries.

Usage:
Code:
// Get a handle to coreinit.rpl

unsigned int coreinit_handle;
OSDynLoad_Acquire("coreinit.rpl", &coreinit_handle);

Now that we got a handle for coreinit, let's load a function:
Code:
// Simple, no?

void(*OSScreenInit)();
OSDynLoad_FindExport(coreinit_handle, 0, "OSScreenInit", &OSScreenInit);

OSScreenInit();

System libraries:
Libraries that can be loaded using OSDynLoad_Acquire.
The most useful are listed here.
  • coreinit.rpl - Direct access to Cafe OS services.
  • gx2.rpl - Hardware accelerated graphics for games.
  • avm.rpl - Audio/Video manager.
  • vpad.rpl - GamePad input.
  • vpadbase.rpl - GamePad base library.
  • padscore.rpl - Wii Remote and Wii Balance Board.
  • mic.rpl - GamePad microphone.
  • camera.rpl - Access to the GamePad camera.
  • nsysuhs.rpl - Low-level USB access.
  • nsyskbd.rpl - USB keyboard.
  • swkbd.rpl - Onscreen keyboard.
  • tve.rpl - TV Engine.
  • nfc.rpl - Low-level NFC.
  • ntag.rpl - High-level NFC.

FAQs:
Q: Will my warranty be void?
A: No. Currently, the exploits don't modify the system at all, as the exploits are downloaded from the Internet everytime they're ran and everything else is on the SD Card.

Q: Do I need Internet access everytime I'm gonna use homebrew?
A: Yes. Currently, it is only possible to exploit your system through the Internet Browser.

Q: Can Nintendo detect this?
A: No. The system thinks you're either using Mii Maker or Super Smash Bros. 3DS flashcarts, on the other hand, use completely different titles, which are clearly detectable.

Q: Is this illegal?
A: No. Homebrew being equal to piracy is a common misconception from the people who don't use it. Plus, hacking currently doesn't modify the system at all.

Q: But Loadiine is illegal, right?
A: No. It is not illegal to play backups of games you own. If you don't own them, however, it is illegal.

Q: Is this a crime?
A: No. Not everything illegal is a crime.

Last edited by malucart,
Reactions: Deleted User

malucart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I made this because the other guides simply don't give any instructions, but instead just give us information about FW vulnerability and news and stuff.
This one actually gives instructions and teaches how to do stuff. Plus, it has development instructions (which I didn't notice were unfinished when I first submitted, but I'm working on it).

i feel like this should partially be merged with the existing guide, anyone else?
Honestly, I think they're too different to be merged.

Last edited by malucart,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're going to call it the ultimate guide then you need a lot more content that you are currently missing. It needs to be all inclusive.

Plus you are telling people that they should update to 5.5.1. This is your opinion. You have to be careful here. Even though I share your opinion we have no proof that the next exploit will work on 5.5.1.

You need to explain why somebody would want to self host vs. Online.

(loadiine.ovh is a site created by a gbatemp user and won't be around forever. It has been down before and doesn't work 100% of the time for everyone)

You need to help different users of firmware understand the different ways to run the kexploit. You need to explain WUP Installer and how to use it for uses not on 5.5.1.

You need to explain better how to update games using the many different variations of nusgrabber.

You also didn't mention any of the different offline hosting methods such as android or raspberry pi.

There is a lot more homebrew that you are missing as well. I applaud your effort but but you seem to missing a lot of content to be calling it the ultimate guide.

Last edited by Kafluke,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

malucart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you're going to call it the ultimate guide then you need a lot more content that you are currently missing. It needs to be all inclusive.

Plus you are telling people that they should update to 5.5.1. This is your opinion. You have to be careful here. Even though I share your opinion we have no proof that the next exploit will work on 5.5.1.

You need to explain why somebody would want to self host vs. Online.

You need to help different users of firmware understand the different ways to run the kexploit. You need to explain WUP Installer and how to use it for uses not on 5.5.1.

You need to explain better how to update games using the many different variations of nusgrabber.

You also didn't mention any of the different offline hosting methods such as android or raspberry pi.

There is a lot more homebrew that you are missing as well. I applaud your effort but but you seem to missing a lot of content to be calling it the ultimate guide.
OK, thanks, including them. I just wanted to be certain this would be up still today, really.

Last edited by malucart,

malucart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Added/changed a bunch of stuff.
Working on injecting VC games.
Will add modding once I get Cafiine to work (help?).

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I didn't notice using Cafiine is the same as just modifying in the SD, but in real-time. Oh well.

Last edited by malucart,

rakichaneru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is much better for getting started than the stickied guide, because this one actually walks you through the setup steps. For instance, the sticky guide doesn't even mention needing an SD Card or how to format it. The first mention of an SD card in the current sticky is to just start putting programs onto it.

This one is also far more concise and flows better, IMO. To someone who's truly just getting started, this guide is far more useful. The current sticky is aimed at people who already know what's going on.

Last edited by rakichaneru,
D

Deleted User

Pretty good. But it isn't "ultimate". It needs to be like CJB100's guide to be ULTIMATE. If this does anything different and isn't just a copy of the sticky, than I will reconsider.

Reactions: 7Robins

malucart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Pretty good. But it isn't "ultimate". It needs to be like CJB100's guide to be ULTIMATE. If this does anything different and isn't just a copy of the sticky, than I will reconsider.
It's totally different. Did you read it?
Like the above guy said, "this one actually walks you through". It actually gives instructions, and i's also a bit more all-around.
The sticky just gives info and updates, and occasionally gives some weird instructions. It's totally unusable, and I only got to boot up homebrew through FlimFlam69's tutorial which gives actual instructions.

Last edited by malucart,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well but that's what this is, isn't it? A newb-friendly guide to getting homebrew running on the Wii U for the first time?

I'd say that the Definitive Guide is sort of a hub that has the goal of having as much information under one roof as possible. You're going to want to distinguish yourself from the Definitive Guide in some way

malucart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's an all-around guide. It teaches how to get homebrew running, for the first time or not, how to install homebrew, make your own homebrew, how to make sure you'll be in 5.3.2 if you update through a disc, how to use the most known homebrew and has some troubleshooting and FAQs.

Then the Definitive Guide should be renamed to Definitive Newspaper or Definitive Info Hub. I don't think I should change this, it's a guide.

Last edited by malucart,

Neouni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's totally different. Did you read it?
Like the above guy said, "this one actually walks you through". It actually gives instructions, and i's also a bit more all-around.
The sticky just gives info and updates, and occasionally gives some weird instructions. It's totally unusable, and I only got to boot up homebrew through FlimFlam69's tutorial which gives actual instructions.

This guide currently starts by listing stuff.
Try placing things on top that are important,
once you served the newcomers continue.

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@jv110: I saw this a while back, and I think honestly, you're doing too much of what the Definitive Guide does. I haven't ever said it up til now, because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, and I very much respect fiveighteen, the person who is currently moderating the Definitive Wii U Hacking Guide, but there is room for a second Definitive Wii U Guide up top in the stickies. As someone has said, that guide is aimed towards people who already know what's going on. If you want to make one, you should do a guide like "Definitive Introductory Guide to Hacking Your Wii U," which is more like what I've done for the vWii side of things. Act as though you have never even touched your Wii U before, and document every single solitary step from beginning to end. Then do it again for all available methods. Once you have the steps written out, organize them in an easily digestible way. I would suggest describing each individual hacking method and then describing the benefits and complications of each one, then the steps for each.

malucart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Can someone with enough privilege delete or lock this topic? I'd apprecciate it. It seems nobody likes it, and I should've done something completely different.
Please do so if you can.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: (i was allowed to do that)