[Release] SimpleModDownloader, a mod downloader for your switch

logo

HI community,

I've recently delved into the vast world of Switch modding and found it tiresome always having to rely on a computer to install mods. I found the idea of SimpleModManager interesting, but it lacked a downloading feature. That's why I created the homebrew SimpleModDownloader. The installation part is done through SimpleModManager, so there's a button to switch from the downloader to the manager.

SimpleModDownloader is based on the extensive gamebanana database.

Downloads:
Releases: https://github.com/PoloNX/SimpleModDownloader/releases/
Source: https://github.com/PoloNX/SimpleModDownloader

How to use it:
  • Place the .nro file on your SD card in the "/switch/" folder.
  • Launch the homebrew from the homebrew launcher.

EDIT : Hello community! I'm very pleased to announce that I've finally finished rewriting SimpleModDownloader from scratch. The app now utilizes a new version of Borealis for the UI, which has allowed me greater flexibility in the UI design. Here's the changelog, which is quite extensive, and I may have surely missed some things
  • Rewrote the app from scratch using Borealis.
  • Transitioned to a new build tool: CMake.
  • Fixed #46 and #39.
  • Added a new page to preview the mod.
  • Implemented detection to check if a mod is compatible with SimpleModDownloader (in reality, I check if there's a romfs folder in the archive, as permitted by the GameBanana API).
  • Added a fix to prevent a crash that occurred when the mod contained special characters.
  • Reduced loading times and implemented multi-threading for improved performance.
Here is some screenshots/video

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

If you want to translate the app into other languages, feel free to do so! You will be credited in the homebrew.

I would like to thank all of you for being able to help me improve the application day by day by reporting bugs and feature requests :)

Last edited by PoloNX,

calcium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
seems really good, however when i download a certain mod (minimal ui - zelda totk), it downloads successfully but doesnt show up in the mod manager

Reactions: Hmed

PoloNX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
France
it worked with one mod, and i dont think i did? not sure, new to all this
If the mod doesn't have one folder named romfs or exefs in the archive it won't extract. If you have one idea of one algorithm you can do a pull request or maybe say it here. And .rar are not supported (libarchive limitation)

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This looks exciting! It looks really good too. I'll try it out sometime.
Damn you, I still fell in that trick of yours :rofl2:
I still though you were doing sarcasm like
"Wow this is exciting......
.....but can it run crysis?"

• Haha
Reactions: Hmed and Kevbo

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I like the custom borealis pages. I will probably never use it but its definitely neat. How are mods for specific game versions handled? Is there any way to see/review/verify that?

For whatever reason gbatemp videos do not let me seek to a certain position, highly annoying.

Qubarf

Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Holy moly, awesome work dude - this will no doubt quickly become my most used homebrew.
Thank you!
Post automatically merged:

I'm confused; will this require SimpleModManager as well?

Lather

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I member I saw one guy saids on internet, some mods will crash your AWS or make switch broken.
So if you can tested those mods for us;)

PoloNX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
France
I like the custom borealis pages. I will probably never use it but its definitely neat. How are mods for specific game versions handled? Is there any way to see/review/verify that?

For whatever reason gbatemp videos do not let me seek to a certain position, highly annoying.
I just read the mis description before downloading. The problem is that : there is not standard architecture

calcium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Holy moly, awesome work dude - this will no doubt quickly become my most used homebrew.
Thank you!
Post automatically merged:

I'm confused; will this require SimpleModManager as well?
yeah it does, it downloads it to simplemodmanager

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto