Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

ponyboyt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My friend just sold his Wii. The people who bought it returned it demanding a refund. They said it turns on and freezes. He sent me a video and when he turns it on it immediatly starts to load USB Loader GX and freezes on a white screen with some stripes. He does not know how to mod a console. The buyer did this. I haven't modded a Wii in years.... How would I go about fixing this? I'm sure the buyer is gone, and would not offer any assistance with backups or anything... Poor guy got scammed.

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
Going to be softmodding a Wii for my daughter today, I've been looking around and there's so many different guides on the subject.

I'm gonna be using Lego Indiana Jones, it's a UK Wii on 4.3.

Which guide is the current suggested one to use? I would ideally want one that is as up to date as possible and covers everything including CIOS installation and USB Loader installation if possible. I have done this in the past on my own Wii but that was a very long time ago and I remember nothing.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Dungeonseeker,

almmiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Going to be softmodding a Wii for my daughter today, I've been looking around and there's so many different guides on the subject.

Which guide is the current suggested one to use? I would ideally want one that is as up to date as possible and covers everything including CIOS installation and USB Loader installation if possible. I have done this in the past on my own Wii but that was a very long time ago and I remember nothing.

Thanks guys.
Use modmii for windows. The guide is generated based upon the info you throw at it.

Enviado de meu LG-H326 usando Tapatalk

Reactions: Dungeonseeker

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks guys.

Agreed, use ModMii: https://gbatemp.net/threads/modmii-for-windows-official-support-topic.207126/

I've used it on over 20 Wii's and will be doing it on another 2 this weekend. You can even use the Discless version from the ModMii menu and you won't need Lego Indiana Jones. I have always used the Discless installation, all you need is the Wii's MAC address that's listed under the Wiis internet connection in its setup menu and it'll build a guide and installation program just for your Wii.

Read the guide carefully before modding just to make sure you follow the order of items that get installed. I'm use to it so I can do it in less then 1/2 hour, but your first time going back and forth with the guide to make sure things are going correctly might take you a little over an hour.

Last edited by ca032769,

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
Use modmii for windows. The guide is generated based upon the info you throw at it.

Enviado de meu LG-H326 usando Tapatalk
Thanks, Wii successfully modded and is all working perfectly now.

Quick question though, I still had my old Wii hard drive with my Wii games so I dug it out and plugged it in to her Wii (after replacing all the files with the ones from Modmii so USBLoaderGX was fully updated) and it found all my old games fine however when ever I tried to run any of them it gave the error message "WBFS Error: Bad Magic". As I already had my old console out I swapped consoles over (she's not having my console as it has some homebrew on it I don't want her messing with hence I got her her own console and did a fresh install) and my console was giving me the exact same error (it was working 100% when I packed it away).

Initially I thought the HDD might be dying so I grabbed a 4Gb Flash Drive and copied NSMB over from the HDD to the FD, tried the FD and got the exact same error.

Finally I grabbed a new copy of NSMB and transferred it to both the HDD & FD, both now boot perfectly on both consoles.

I've heard that WBFS is prone to degradation over time but is it seriously because the files haven't been booted in years that they won't boot anymore? It seems very unlikely to me yet also the only possible explanation, the HDD works fine and a new copy of the game also works fine ergo it must have been the old file that had the error. Thoughts?

Last edited by Dungeonseeker,

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Quick question though, I still had my old Wii hard drive with my Wii games so I dug it out and plugged it in to her Wii (after replacing all the files with the ones from Modmii so USBLoaderGX was fully updated) and it found all my old games fine however when ever I tried to run any of them it gave the error message "WBFS Error: Bad Magic". As I already had my old console out I swapped consoles over (she's not having my console as it has some homebrew on it I don't want her messing with hence I got her her own console and did a fresh install) and my console was giving me the exact same error (it was working 100% when I packed it away).

Initially I thought the HDD might be dying so I grabbed a 4Gb Flash Drive and copied NSMB over from the HDD to the FD, tried the FD and got the exact same error.

Finally I grabbed a new copy of NSMB and transferred it to both the HDD & FD, both now boot perfectly on both consoles.

I've heard that WBFS is prone to degradation over time but is it seriously because the files haven't been booted in years that they won't boot anymore? It seems very unlikely to me yet also the only possible explanation, the HDD works fine and a new copy of the game also works fine ergo it must have been the old file that had the error. Thoughts?

Sorry I got into things after WBFS formatted drives were a thing of the past. Mine, both my main 8TB and my backup 8TB Wii HDDs (gotta keep an extra incase something goes wrong or dead) are formatted as FAT32.

Seeing WBFS formatting was left behind a long time ago I'd suggest you migrate to the FAT32 format.

BrineBlade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I agree with ca032769 however, if you only are planning on putting Wii titles on there, then I suggest you use NTFS. If you are planning to also play GameCube backups, then definitely format to FAT32, though you will have to split your Wii game files if you use FAT32 since you can only put files that are 4GB or less on a drive formatted to FAT32. Also, if you decided on FAT32 but are on Windows use this instead of the Windows formatting tool.

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry I got into things after WBFS formatted drives were a thing of the past. Mine, both my main 8TB and my backup 8TB Wii HDDs (gotta keep an extra incase something goes wrong or dead) are formatted as FAT32.

Seeing WBFS formatting was left behind a long time ago I'd suggest you migrate to the FAT32 format.

I agree with ca032769 however, if you only are planning on putting Wii titles on there, then I suggest you use NTFS. If you are planning to also play GameCube backups, then definitely format to FAT32, though you will have to split your Wii game files if you use FAT32 since you can only put files that are 4GB or less on a drive formatted to FAT32. Also, if you decided on FAT32 but are on Windows use this instead of the Windows formatting tool.

Sorry I should have been clearer, my drives are formatted as fat32 however when Wii Backup Manager transfers a game to the drives it converts the ISO to a .WBFS format file and places it in a WBFS folder on the drive.

That's why I'm so confused as to why none of my game backups work, they're nothing more than files on a drive and yet every single one of them has stopped working.

I tried importing them into Wii Backup Manager last night and even that refuses to touch them despite the fact it was that app that made them in the first place. It's all very odd.

BrineBlade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I should have been clearer, my drives are formatted as fat32 however when Wii Backup Manager transfers a game to the drives it converts the ISO to a .WBFS format file and places it in a WBFS folder on the drive.

That's why I'm so confused as to why none of my game backups work, they're nothing more than files on a drive and yet every single one of them has stopped working.

I tried importing them into Wii Backup Manager last night and even that refuses to touch them despite the fact it was that app that made them in the first place. It's all very odd.

Try Wiimm's ISO Tools: https://wit.wiimm.de/download.html

It's command line based, but last I knew it works better than WBM

LoserExtraordinaire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I wanted to ask what causes a modded Wii to freeze/crash?

I modded my Wii about a year ago and I play games off a hard drive through USB Loader GX since the disk drive isn't functioning properly.
The freezing seems to be steadily getting more frequent to the point where I don't feel comfortable playing anything since I'll probably lose my progress.

I did some prior research before coming here to ask this and what I've read was corrupted NAND and overheating can cause the Wii to crash. I'm sure my Wii is well-ventilated and I have two NAND backups and BootMii on boot2 if a NAND restore is all that needs to be done to resolve this, but I don't think I'm seeing the whole picture.

There are more details I want to mention because I think they may be relevant, but I don't want to flood this post with too much text.
Please let me know if you need a SysCheck or want me to expand on the "details".

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

CloudvsRoy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just read the previous posts. My old hard drive died, and I have to set up a new one. So I should set it up as FAT32 and the WBFS Wii files split via the PC-based file manager, right? I don't need to make a volume in FAT32 for GC and NTFS for Wii when I can just split them? Or is it better to be switching partitions for the types of games? And can something like USB Loader switch the file systems so I could play either GC or Wii without restarting the console?

I think my previous drive was FAT32, one file system with WW and VC nands, GC, and Wii games on it. Lost a lot of work and saves when it quit.

Last edited by CloudvsRoy,

DaTank45

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could please use a little help with priiloader. I am unable to save any system menu hacks. The option to save at the bottom of the list is not there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My Wii is 4.3U with letter bomb, beta 52 (56,57 & 249,250). Thank you in advance

Attachments

• E0E8A69F-9328-48FD-AA18-DC014E9E6B22.jpeg
    E0E8A69F-9328-48FD-AA18-DC014E9E6B22.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 190
  • F013A56A-AB42-4C91-8060-44A4302686C8.jpeg
    F013A56A-AB42-4C91-8060-44A4302686C8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 196

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's there... right in the middle of the last line. "save settings"

Priiloader's menu has been borked like that for a while. You can still scroll down to it and select it.

Reactions: DaTank45

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I just read the previous posts. My old hard drive died, and I have to set up a new one. So I should set it up as FAT32 and the WBFS Wii files split via the PC-based file manager, right? I don't need to make a volume in FAT32 for GC and NTFS for Wii when I can just split them? Or is it better to be switching partitions for the types of games? And can something like USB Loader switch the file systems so I could play either GC or Wii without restarting the console?

I think my previous drive was FAT32, one file system with WW and VC nands, GC, and Wii games on it. Lost a lot of work and saves when it quit.
I've had no problems with FAT32 over the years, and it's easier to manage. I recommend it, but maybe someone else could confirm me on this?

CloudvsRoy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I have a Seagate Backup Plus for Mac that I'm going to try. I thought Macs were all FAT, but this says default NTFS for some reason. Thanks for confirmation, hopefully I remember to back up my saves this time.

DaTank45

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I have a Seagate Backup Plus for Mac that I'm going to try. I thought Macs were all FAT, but this says default NTFS for some reason. Thanks for confirmation, hopefully I remember to back up my saves this time.
if the HDD doesn't have an AC power plug you are going to need a Y-cable to plug it into two usb ports at the same time because the wii does not have enough power coming out of one port.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.