Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

CloudvsRoy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the HDD doesn't have an AC power plug you are going to need a Y-cable to plug it into two usb ports at the same time because the wii does not have enough power coming out of one port.

I got it to work without one, it loads up all my Wii and GC games fine.

I'm having a problem with the ModMii nands working, however. I hacked this Wii several years ago with ModMii and everything ran perfectly, and all those hacks are still on my SD card. So I figured the only thing I'd need to do is recreate the nands with my WiiWare and VC games on them, then add them to the hard drive. I made one for WW and one for VC, with all the hacks installed and default options checked, and none of the games I installed worked. Deleted those nands and tried again, and I'm still having the same problem. I'm selecting the proper channel paths and saves for each nand, and emulation is set to full on both (which worked last time). Not sure if I need to do something else in ModMii to download and initialize those nands, or if the bundled ShowMiiWads 1.5 is unpacking the WADs incorrectly. I doubt that the WADs are corrupted or fragmented, since they are the same ones I used last time. It shouldn't be a power consumption issue if I can run Xenoblade Chronicles from my USB-powered external.

=\ Kinda stumped.

Joasem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. With the closing of the Wii Shop, I thought it was a good time to look into custom firmware to add some flavor to my Wii since official support is now practically nothing. Unfortunately, it seems like I'm rather late to the party. I've been checking out wiibrew.org, but it seems the forums are no more and the apps are out of date. I installed the Homebrew Browser, but the images won't show up and I couldn't download anything. (I'm going to try again as the wiki states you need to edit the settings.xml to use the backup server.)

I also installed WiiMC because I liked the idea of being able to use it to play DVDs. Unfortunately, WiiMC states my Wii is not capable of playback, which doesn't make sense as I received my Wii back on December 25, 2006 for Christmas. I double checked the calendar on the system to confirm that was the first time I used it. It's a white, launch console that supports GameCube games and has the ports, so it was definitely made before Nintendo disabled DVD playback.

Those issues aside, what I want to know is what can I do now that I have the homebrew channel and bootmii installed on my system & SD card? Is wiibrew.org still a good source or are there better alternatives? I'm not trying to turn my Wii into a computer, but I'd like to get the most out of my aging system. I'm mostly interested in DVD playback, region free play, and enhanced channels/apps/features. I'd also be interested in apps that restore features like online play that were disabled by Nintendo when support ended.

My Wii was updated to 4.3U and I've no desire to downgrade even if it means greater flexibility. Unless someone can make a really good argument, I'm content just working with 4.3U and the custom firmware apps that are compatible with it.

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello. With the closing of the Wii Shop, I thought it was a good time to look into custom firmware to add some flavor to my Wii since official support is now practically nothing. Unfortunately, it seems like I'm rather late to the party. I've been checking out wiibrew.org, but it seems the forums are no more and the apps are out of date. I installed the Homebrew Browser, but the images won't show up and I couldn't download anything. (I'm going to try again as the wiki states you need to edit the settings.xml to use the backup server.)

I also installed WiiMC because I liked the idea of being able to use it to play DVDs. Unfortunately, WiiMC states my Wii is not capable of playback, which doesn't make sense as I received my Wii back on December 25, 2006 for Christmas. I double checked the calendar on the system to confirm that was the first time I used it. It's a white, launch console that supports GameCube games and has the ports, so it was definitely made before Nintendo disabled DVD playback.

Those issues aside, what I want to know is what can I do now that I have the homebrew channel and bootmii installed on my system & SD card? Is wiibrew.org still a good source or are there better alternatives? I'm not trying to turn my Wii into a computer, but I'd like to get the most out of my aging system. I'm mostly interested in DVD playback, region free play, and enhanced channels/apps/features. I'd also be interested in apps that restore features like online play that were disabled by Nintendo when support ended.

My Wii was updated to 4.3U and I've no desire to downgrade even if it means greater flexibility. Unless someone can make a really good argument, I'm content just working with 4.3U and the custom firmware apps that are compatible with it.
WiiBrew.org is the best source for homebrew apps. Most of the apps on the Homebrew Browser are out of date.

I'm not sure what causes your DVD issue. I have a launch-day Wii on 4.3U and it works fine. Sorry :/

You can get region free play with Priiloader ( http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Priiloader ), and a few other neat things. You can also get online play & services with Wiimmfi ( https://wii.guide/wiimmfi ) and RiiConnect24 ( https://wii.guide/riiconnect24 ). Keep in mind that online cheating in the Mario Kart games is still not tolerated. There are some fun homebrew games and emulators which you can get on WiiBrew too.

There's not really any good reason to downgrade.

Hope I was able to help! Tell me if you have any more questions!

(I typed this with a cut finger and may have made some grammatical/spelling mistakes)

caviakek

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a problem. i have a chipmodded wii (dont know which chip) . i know it can run burned games, but when i try to burn games they dont work. i use imgburn to burn then on 4x speed (my burner cant go slower). the dvd-r's i use are from philips. and i converd my files to .iso using wiibackupmanager. i always test my games on dolphin befor i download them. but my wii just can read the discs. what am i doing wrong? because i realy dont know anymore. how should i burn my wii games

GR-DRACULA

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Issues with cioses (vwii)

I am trying to make wiiflow work again I am having serious issues with cioses i always try to reinstall ios 236 and then 249 250 251 using d2x cios installer for vwii and choosing between alt vwii beta 53 or beta 52 but ino difference some versions of wiiflow work some others no so i try to load ios 249 or ios 250 or 251 and sometimes it recognizes my hdd my games and etc but only on ios 251 and beta 53... then i try to load ocarina cheats on super mario galaxy for example and cheats never load ... the games at general load only on ios 251 (beta 53) and on usb port 1 instead of 0. Wiixplorer also has issues reading my hdd it only reads on ios 251 and it shows the 2 partitions duplicated too but it works in general.. then i try to reinstall nothing changes or wiiflow breaks and needs reinstall and clear channel data and etc.... I would really appreciate some expert's assistance :/... I have tried everything I should try... i will reply if you need more info for now i will upload the log files of sys check EDIT: HDD was working fine before (it has external power 2 partitions 1 fat32 500gb with wii games and the rest 1,3tb ntfs partition with other files)

Attachments

• IOSsyscheck.zip
    913 bytes · Views: 145
Last edited by GR-DRACULA,

Honkinghard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to set up a forwarder for USB Loader GX so I don't have to go through the homebrew channel. All the guides I find are old, have broken links, and seem outdated. It seems that this is a delicate process so I don't want to just start messing around with Wad Manager (the first thing it asks is IOS version and I'm not sure what to choose).

Can someone link me a current guide?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to set up a forwarder for USB Loader GX so I don't have to go through the homebrew channel. All the guides I find are old, have broken links, and seem outdated. It seems that this is a delicate process so I don't want to just start messing around with Wad Manager (the first thing it asks is IOS version and I'm not sure what to choose).

Can someone link me a current guide?

Just get the v5.1 version for your console (Wii/vWii) from here. Make sure your wad manager's meta.xml file has the tag "<ahb_access />" in it and select IOS 58. If you're using the old "Wad Manager" app I would recommend using YAWMM or MMM.

There is also an official support thread for USB Loader GX.

Honkinghard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just get the v5.1 version for your console (Wii/vWii) from here. Make sure your wad manager's meta.xml file has the tag "<ahb_access />" in it and select IOS 58. If you're using the old "Wad Manager" app I would recommend using YAWMM or MMM.

There is also an official support thread for USB Loader GX.

Thank you, but I don't understand the part I underlined. I downloaded both MMM and YAMMM but neither of the accompanying meta.xml files include this line. What does <ahb access /> do and where do I put it, do I stick it within the <app> tag?

Edit: I read somewhere yes, stick it within <app> so that's what I did. However, when I try to install the wad I get this:
>> Installing ticket... ERROR! (ret = -2011)

Edit 2: Keeping it at the default IOS selection worked and it installed successfully. I'm good.

Last edited by Honkinghard,

joeyyy25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok im sorry for how nooby my post is but im hoping this is the right place to ask.

Im very late to to hacking so i think i unfortunately followed some very outdated guides. I successfully downloaded homebrew with letterbomb, that part was very easy, and i was also able to back up and save key.bin and nand.bin onto my pc before things got messy.

Afterwards, i followed hackteckman's youtube guide to download usb downloader, a few iso's and some wad's. I put mario galaxy on a usb, heard mario's voice when hovering over the spinning disk, then got a black screen of death. Tried changing the region or whatever that quick fix was, but no luck. Then i continued to watch ace's dios mios guide and downloaded a few more wad's and icos. Galaxy on my usb still does not work.

Now i think i just have a huge mess of wad's and ico's and i have no idea what either are. Is there anyway i can delete all these patches and other junk i downloaded and just revert back to when i had JUST a clean homebrew installed? I want to delete all these patches and programs and just start fresh with an up-to-date guide.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to give some background on my disaster

Last edited by joeyyy25,

kmaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
With a Wii with a likely bad NAND chip that won't boot past a boot2-hosted BootMii (but does work while browsing through BootMii's options), what would be the best way to proceed to fix it? I posted about an idea before to run it with a boot2-loded EmuNAND to be able to use it, but it didn't get any responses so it must not be a viable idea. Is there a better one? My original idea below:

kmaru said:
I have a Wii that will not boot past a boot2-hosted BootMii (only a black screen comes up after that, for the Homebrew Channel, System Menu, and even trying to run the BootMii installation program directly from mini). I have come to believe that this is the result of the NAND chip in my Wii failing, as turning the Wii on with a Wiimote still works (indicating the Bluetooth module is in working condition) and the pattern of black blocks (which are in the majority -- almost the whole NAND is black blocks) that appears when doing a BootMii NAND backup (that frequently fails to even verify) is consistent (meaning it's likely not bad RAM). Furthermore, I had not made any software changes to things such as IOSes, etc. in multiple years before the failure, so I do not believe it is the result of that. I cannot run any program or service that relies on any copy of IOS hosted on the internal NAND chip.

Unless anybody has any other ideas, it seems to me like the only way to fix this (short of replacing the NAND chip itself on a hardware level which I don't really want to do if it's even possible) is to load an EmuNAND (stored on an SD card or USB drive) directly from boot2 and have the entire Wii run off of that instead of its internal NAND chip. I have multiple backups of my system's NAND chip before it went bad to use as candidates.

Is this possible and, if so, how exactly would I do it? I feel like it is probably possible but will be difficult to setup without using any applications that require the NAND chip to start with (for example, I can't use the Homebrew Channel (at least in its default configuration) as it's on the internal NAND which is hosed). I'd need a solution that can be run entirely from BootMii/boot2/mini. Or perhaps it is somehow possible to make use of an IOS copy on one of the game discs I have (of which I have many). Is there any solution that meets this criteria?

Alternatively, on the off-chance my Wii suddenly randomly decides to work even though its internal NAND is bad (as it did for a month or so for some reason after initially refusing to boot past BootMii), how would I convert it over to this externally-hosted EmuNAND functionality as quickly as possible?

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
ok im sorry for how nooby my post is but im hoping this is the right place to ask.

Im very late to to hacking so i think i unfortunately followed some very outdated guides. I successfully downloaded homebrew with letterbomb, that part was very easy, and i was also able to back up and save key.bin and nand.bin onto my pc before things got messy.

Afterwards, i followed hackteckman's youtube guide to download usb downloader, a few iso's and some wad's. I put mario galaxy on a usb, heard mario's voice when hovering over the spinning disk, then got a black screen of death. Tried changing the region or whatever that quick fix was, but no luck. Then i continued to watch ace's dios mios guide and downloaded a few more wad's and icos. Galaxy on my usb still does not work.

Now i think i just have a huge mess of wad's and ico's and i have no idea what either are. Is there anyway i can delete all these patches and other junk i downloaded and just revert back to when i had JUST a clean homebrew installed? I want to delete all these patches and programs and just start fresh with an up-to-date guide.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to give some background on my disaster

Would you mind posting a SysCheck? Download it and get instructions from here https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/

Suleman_irfan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My usb loader gx isnt working. It kicks me back to the homebrew channel. Today i just downloaded some ios from a youtube tutorial and then the usb loader worked fine and it loaded all tge games i backed up. Then after playing i went to the wii settings and updated the wii system softare since then the usb loader doesnt load games and kicks me back to homebrew And also the ios which i want to reinstall from that youtube tutorial wont install and it shows error
Please help

bommer1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HAi there, I'm trying to run a hack i found online. (Cheatmanager + gecko) Doesnt seem to be working on mario kart wii. Im pretty new to gecko and cheat manager, so can someone help me plz

1. /txtcodes/BulletBill.txt Copy and paste code.

28341462 F3FF0C00
0458E010 38000000
E0000000 80008000
28341462 BFFF4000
0458E010 7C800038
E0000000 80008000

(this is how the txt file looks like no returns)

2. Enter Cheat manager
3. /txtcodes/BulletBill.txt [Page0]
[28341462 F3FF0C00] 04583010 38000000
[-]E0000000 80008000

4. [+]E0000000 80008000
5. Press 1

6 bottom line:
/codes/28341462 F3FF0C00.gct generated (blah blah)

7. exit

8. use computer to rename generated file with respective id (RMCE01.gct)

9 Enter gecko on wii

10. (maybye this is useful, i dont know)
Hook type: Default
Force NTSC On
Load Sd Codes on

11 Launch Game

Setting up Dive

Blah Blah

RMCE01 Found
APplying codes

12. Nothing seems to have changed.
Video of whats supposed to happen:

The video is pretty outdated. I used mkw codes too for bullet bill but to no avail. Am i doing something wrong?

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
My usb loader gx isnt working. It kicks me back to the homebrew channel. Today i just downloaded some ios from a youtube tutorial and then the usb loader worked fine and it loaded all tge games i backed up. Then after playing i went to the wii settings and updated the wii system softare since then the usb loader doesnt load games and kicks me back to homebrew And also the ios which i want to reinstall from that youtube tutorial wont install and it shows error
Please help

Do you have a link to said YouTube video?

stefanbatorowy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So basically, I messed up real bad...

So I accidentally updated my Wii and later forgot about it and not re-enabled Priiloader after the fact
Then I played around, like I usually do, with the region changer on WiiModLite and set the language to Korean
So right now, I can't access neither the HBC nor Priiloader because the System Menu does't boot. The Health&Safety screen still shows up though

Is there any way for me to format the Wii, reset the language settings or do anything so I can access the HBC again?

joeyyy25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would you mind posting a SysCheck? Download it and get instructions from here

sure thing! Heres my SysCheck:
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6432).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)

Drive date: 12.07.2010
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 134069861
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v5
Found 76 titles.
Found 47 IOS on this console. 15 of them are stubs.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1290): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 782): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1295): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1550): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 2063): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4380): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4380): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5918): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 6175): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6432): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5918): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 7200): No Patches
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS249[56] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10 (DIOS MIOS 2.11+)
Report generated on 06/22/2018.

i went over the IOS's with a more recent video i found, so those might be alright, but maybe my WAD's are still destroyed? Not sure if those effect anything, but i tried booting a game on usb loader and once again got black screened after clicking my game

joeyyy25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sure thing! Heres my SysCheck:
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6432).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)

Drive date: 12.07.2010
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 134069861
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v5
Found 76 titles.
Found 47 IOS on this console. 15 of them are stubs.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1290): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 782): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1295): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1550): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 2063): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4380): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4380): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5918): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 6175): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6432): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5918): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 7200): No Patches
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS249[56] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10 (DIOS MIOS 2.11+)
Report generated on 06/22/2018.

i went over the IOS's with a more recent video i found, so those might be alright, but maybe my WAD's are still destroyed? Not sure if those effect anything, but i tried booting a game on usb loader and once again got black screened after clicking my game

OMGG the usb i was using was just horrible. i used a new portable 1tb harddrive and it works perfectly

Reactions: GreyWolf and banjo2

MugsySiegel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a minor stupid issue. I got my whole wii working with nintendont,usbloader gx etc. Now that Im done the nintendont logo is missing I can still go to it but its a blank box instead of having the logo. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak past the light and kill that giant mosquito.