Unmod Wii

random118

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I recently modded my wii, post 2008 version. The ONLY thing I have installed is homebrew channel through str2hax method. But, I want to use a different method. Can I remove homebrew using hackmii v1.2 accessible via the same method, using the DNS change? I saw there is an option that said uninstall homebrew. Does it work? and by doing so, will I brick my wii?

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I recently modded my wii, post 2008 version. The ONLY thing I have installed is homebrew channel through str2hax method. But, I want to use a different method. Can I remove homebrew using hackmii v1.2 accessible via the same method, using the DNS change? I saw there is an option that said uninstall homebrew. Does it work? and by doing so, will I brick my wii?
You should be fine just overwriting with different mod, uninstalling might brick the system.
You can however overwrite all IOS, BC, MIOS and system menu by reïnstalling all of these using your installer.
This will overwrite everything that's safe to overwrite back to normal.
Now use your exploit of choice to install HBC and bootmii again and you should be where you want to be.

random118

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
You should be fine just overwriting with different mod, uninstalling might brick the system.
How can I install bootmii through str2hax method? I have an SD Card. Do I just change the DNS again to use the str2hax method, and install bootmii? If this is possible then I am willing to keep the aldready modded configuration.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
How can I install bootmii through str2hax method? I have an SD Card. Do I just change the DNS again to use the str2hax method, and install bootmii? If this is possible then I am willing to keep the aldready modded configuration.
I don't know what str2hax is, and i don't care for your exploit used.
Reïnstall all original nintendo stock firmware parts will unmod your wii for most ¹part, remod your wii via new exploit and you're done.
¹ depending on your Bootmii installation there might be some scrap code in boot0 which is better left as is, for the original code can't be reprogrammed there, and trying to reprogram that part might brick the console.

random118

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
RIght now, I want to just install bootmii on my current modded software. Can I just use the same str2hax (The one that changes DNS and uses license agreement to exploit) which will load into hackmii and select install bootmii?

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just follow the wii.hacks.guide dude, they have alternatives for people without a windows PC.

Alternatively you could ask friends or family if they have a windows laptop you could borrow for a day or two and then use that PC to use ModMii. Or spin up a VM with a windows client, all the VM needs is access to the internet and USB drives, or some other way to move files to your SD card.

Last edited by RAHelllord,

random118

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Yes, so long as u have an SD card, this will work, but you're ignoring other recommended steps
I am following all the steps, but I have forgot to install bootmii. Can I go back to hackmii and install bootmii only as I have homebrew installed? Also, I wanted to mod using wiibrand, but I already have homebrew channel installed. Can I just try and install again with homebrew installed (i.e, overwrite) or does that brick?

Last edited by random118,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I am following all the steps, but I have forgot to install bootmii. Can I go back to hackmii and install bootmii only as I have homebrew installed? Also, I wanted to mod using wiibrand, but I already have homebrew channel installed. Can I just try and install again with homebrew installed (i.e, overwrite) or does that brick?
Yes, that's fine.

No need to mod with a different method, the HBC installed is the same regardless of method.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So is it installed in same location and works the same? But why is Wiibrand recommended on wii hacks guide?
Because that's what whoever wrote that site chose - a very good reason to take all "guides" critically, as people rarely learn the reasoning by merely following instructions written by someone else :)

You want to duplicate a file on your PC: drag and drop? copy and paste? actual duplicate option? copy to? command line? Quite different ways that all give equivalent results :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol