Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, probably a really stupid question coming up, but...

My GameCube controller broke a while back and I had to buy a new one. The only one I could find was a wireless one, that works really well. Unfortunately, it requires three AAA batteries. Long story short, I'm in a situation where I very rarely get a chance to go into town to buy new batteries (as in, maybe once every few months) and I would really like to be able to play my GameCube games again. Is there any way that I can use a Wiimote/Nunchuck to play a GameCube game?

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The only one I could find was a wireless one, that works really well. Unfortunately, it requires three AAA batteries. Long story short, I'm in a situation where I very rarely get a chance to go into town to buy new batteries (as in, maybe once every few months) and I would really like to be able to play my GameCube games again. Is there any way that I can use a Wiimote/Nunchuck to play a GameCube game?
-at some point in the future devolution might offer playing with wiimote

-there are rechargeable batteries
generic AAA ones
and maybe even special sets for that controller (might be hard to find now)

-power is power
AAA does 1.5VDC -> three in series do 4.5VDC -> an unused 4.5VDC power brick will do fine too
unless the controller sucks the batteries dry in an few hours current should not be much of an issue
but I wouldn't try anything <0.25A
batteries voltage goes down as they are depleted -> the controller must use lower voltages too -> power bricks as low as 3VDC might work too

Reactions: Rydian

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Rechargeable batteries are generally 1.2VDC some may say 1.25VDC (in fact they all are 1.25VDC just virtually instantly they are used it drops to 1.2VDC ergo the 1.2 generalisation. sSo slightly less than the 1.5VDC of disposable batteries hence generally the reason they dont quite last as long :) but then you can recharge em :) so 3 rechargeables in series 3.6VDC so Psyblade is right in saying a lesser power brick would do.

Kazekai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure where to post this, but I have what I assume is a noobish problem.

I'm trying to play games off my external hard drive but here's the problem: I don't want to format it. I use this drive for everything under the sun from backing up my work files to playing videos on my PS3 and I don't want to change its format to WBFS because I don't want it to become exclusive to my Wii and not work with anything else.

I've looked at the possibility of loading games off an SD card but that doesn't seem to work with retail games at all, or at least not very well, and I don't have the money to put out for another USB device with respectable storage space. I've tried USBloader GX and also Wiiflow but neither will detect my device, is there anything I can do that won't compromise my device's current versatility?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Not sure where to post this, but I have what I assume is a noobish problem.

I'm trying to play games off my external hard drive but here's the problem: I don't want to format it. I use this drive for everything under the sun from backing up my work files to playing videos on my PS3 and I don't want to change its format to WBFS because I don't want it to become exclusive to my Wii and not work with anything else.

I've looked at the possibility of loading games off an SD card but that doesn't seem to work with retail games at all, or at least not very well, and I don't have the money to put out for another USB device with respectable storage space. I've tried USBloader GX and also Wiiflow but neither will detect my device, is there anything I can do that won't compromise my device's current versatility?
Both WiiFlow and GX should be just fine reading games of off FAT32, FAT16, NTFS, WBFS, and several Linux file systems. Formatting it should not be necessary. If they're not reading it now it's probably not a problem with reading the file system but a problem with connecting to the drive in the first place. You might want to consider changing/upgrading your cIOS since that's what's most involved in THAT step of the process. Also, loading from SD is definitely possible. GX just isn't programmed to do it. WiiFlow, on the other hand, should be able to do it just fine. If your drive and your Wii just hate each other it's either SD or get another drive (even if it's just a little flash thumb drive.)

Kazekai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, that actually worked. Maybe I was just dumb and didn't read far enough down though, but it recognizes my device after plugging it into the bottom USB port (closest to the edge) and reads my files after putting them in a folder titled wbfs and converting them...but it seems like the file is corrupt - I tested it with my own rip so I know the disc works fine, I guess I'll re-convert the file and see if I just interrupted the process.

(Man this forum is so helpful compared to the other hacking ones)

Kazekai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I don't mean to be short but I'm about to lose my mind and I've been doing this all day. I cannot get USB Loader GX to recognize my backup, it won't show up in the menu at all. I tried WiiFlow but it rejected my cIOS saying it needed 249 rev 6 - I only know how to install 249 from the cIOS installer and I'm pretty sure I have the latest version, and finally, I got the farthest with NeoGamma, managing to load the game's channel music but no picture, but it broke the loading operation and gave me an error message.

I've used the backup manager to turn the ISO file into a WBFS file, I've done this several times and I know the actual ISO works because the disk works and the ISO works in Dolphin. I followed this guide:
http://lifehacker.com/5518518/how-to-back-up-and-play-your-wii-games-from-an-external-hard-drive but tried to download up-to-date files since the ones it links to are out of date, and I also googled around to see if anyone else was having my problems with the backup manager.

As a side-complaint, I really wish modding a Wii was as easy as modding a PSP. -_-

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Ok, I don't mean to be short but I'm about to lose my mind and I've been doing this all day. I cannot get USB Loader GX to recognize my backup, it won't show up in the menu at all. I tried WiiFlow but it rejected my cIOS saying it needed 249 rev 6 - I only know how to install 249 from the cIOS installer and I'm pretty sure I have the latest version, and finally, I got the farthest with NeoGamma, managing to load the game's channel music but no picture, but it broke the loading operation and gave me an error message.

I've used the backup manager to turn the ISO file into a WBFS file, I've done this several times and I know the actual ISO works because the disk works and the ISO works in Dolphin. I followed this guide:
http://lifehacker.com/5518518/how-to-back-up-and-play-your-wii-games-from-an-external-hard-drive but tried to download up-to-date files since the ones it links to are out of date, and I also googled around to see if anyone else was having my problems with the backup manager.

As a side-complaint, I really wish modding a Wii was as easy as modding a PSP. -_-
If you use ModMii for Windows to mod it actually IS really easy.

At this point you can run it to update your softmod by either just acting like it's never been modded when answering it's questions and just have it overwrite everything with the newest stuff OR giving it a syscheck log so it can see exactly what it needs to update. Either one should help you on the Wii side.

On the other hand, if the problem is something about how you're naming your backup or where your putting it or the format or something, I'd recommend Wii Backup Manager. If you tell it to "transfer" the game to the drive it will put it in the right place with the right name and in the best format automatically.

Kazekai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use ModMii for Windows to mod it actually IS really easy.

At this point you can run it to update your softmod by either just acting like it's never been modded when answering it's questions and just have it overwrite everything with the newest stuff OR giving it a syscheck log so it can see exactly what it needs to update. Either one should help you on the Wii side.

On the other hand, if the problem is something about how you're naming your backup or where your putting it or the format or something, I'd recommend Wii Backup Manager. If you tell it to "transfer" the game to the drive it will put it in the right place with the right name and in the best format automatically.

I can try that, if my current setup doesn't work. I originally used Letterbomb and 3 different guides to get started.

About the backup manager, I have been doing exactly that and the game still isn't recognized. I have no idea what its problem is, I even told the manager to download the proper covers since they were missing from one game, but not the other. (Tried two discs, one ISO)

Edit: Screw it I use ModMii - still can't load from USBloader GX but I can load from CFG loader but the graphics aren't showing up for the ISO files, oh well close enough.

Kazekai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
download the covers within CFG Loader. rather than WBM.

Yeah I figured it out eventually, ironically while trying to solve another issue.

SPEAKING OF WHICH

Tried following this http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/99708-dios-mios-lite-guide.html
And this http://gbatemp.net/threads/dios-mios-lite.329342/

to get gamecube games to load from the same USB device without success. Any advice?

Should note that Neogamma doesn't really work for me at all regardless of what I do. It loads, but doesn't display any games.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
dios mios lite doesnt have USB support . However Dios Mios does , you need to have your harddrive formatted correctly i believe , with correct cluster sizes . But it DM and not DML you need for USB support. Or Devolution if you want to make your own backups of your retails.

Kazekai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dios mios lite doesnt have USB support . However Dios Mios does , you need to have your harddrive formatted correctly i believe , with correct cluster sizes . But it DM and not DML you need for USB support. Or Devolution if you want to make your own backups of your retails.

Oh, crap. :( Formatting this hard drive is not an option, and I usually just use imgburn for ripping my ISOs.

Kazekai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can change your cluster sizes without formatting with relavent tools.

You may want to read here : http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-p...s-from-sd-or-usb-using-dios-mios-lite.318585/

I tried one of those, I'll try ISO Compressor since it seems like the most convenient one.

Thanks for the link, helped answer a lot of my questions, now I just have to test this and see if it works.

(oh god I hope it does, everyone is probably tired of my face by now :V)

Edit: No, it didn't work. Using CFG USBloader and cISO 249, the latest DM (not DML) and after converting the files I put them in the specified location on my USB device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la