Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

somechris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I received such a quick and helpful response last time, I figured I'd ask another! So, I hacked my wii about a year ago with mauifrog's crappy guide, and then rehacked it with ModMii. Since then, everything works okay. I occasionally run into black screen freezes when USB loader GX is loading up or loading a game, but otherwise most everything seems to work fine. DiosMios also freezes about half the time on load up, but that might be my hard drive or a sign I should switch to full iso's. Anyway, I did a Syscheck today, and I figured I'd post it to see if there's anything I should change/upgrade/move around. I couldn't find a great, updated guide to what should be where so I figured I'd just ask. I think it's fine since most everything works, but since I double-hacked, I figured it's worth asking. Here's my syscheck file...

sysCheck v2.1.0b19 by Double_A and R2-D2199Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.0/4.1U (v54449)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 2008.12.18
Homebrew Channel 1.1.0 running on IOS58
HomebrewFilter ist nicht installiert
Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 150160983
Boot2 v4
Found 218 titles.
Found 56 IOS on this console. 4 of them are stub.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 16174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 54321): Trucha BugES IdentifyFlash AccessNAND Access
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 16174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 16174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 16174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 16174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 16174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 16174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 16174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS80 (rev 16174): Trucha BugNAND Access
IOS90 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS202[60] (rev 65535Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha BugNAND AccessUSB 2.0
IOS222[38] (rev 4Info: hermes-v4): Trucha BugES IdentifyNAND AccessUSB 2.0
IOS223[38+37] (rev 4Info: hermes-v4): Trucha BugES IdentifyNAND AccessUSB 2.0
IOS224[57] (rev 65535Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha BugNAND AccessUSB 2.0
IOS236[36] (rev 65535Info: rev 3351): Trucha BugES IdentifyNAND Access
IOS245[55] (rev 21007Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha BugNAND AccessUSB 2.0
IOS246[53] (rev 21007Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha BugNAND AccessUSB 2.0
IOS247[37] (rev 21007Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha BugNAND AccessUSB 2.0
IOS248[56] (rev 21007Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha BugNAND AccessUSB 2.0
IOS249[56] (rev 21010Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt): Trucha BugNAND AccessUSB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 21010Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt): Trucha BugNAND AccessUSB 2.0
IOS251[58] (rev 21007Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha BugNAND AccessUSB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10 (DIOS MIOS 2.6.1+)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

XxHTOWNUTZxX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I get covers to load on wiiflow without an sd card? I'm using a USB hdd to load the games and not sure where the folder for the game covers needs to go on the HDD.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Got my external HDD and one GC controller today, and the setup seems to be working well. Homebrew channel and some homebrew, USB Loader GX with that default forwarder ModMii had me install, DIOS MIOS, etc. So the questions now...

• SNEEK/UNEEK. NAND emulation, to protect against bad WAD installs, banner bricks, and other such things, right? How does this work, how would I set it up, which do I want, etc. Things are working fine without it, but I would like to try theming things and be less paranoid in general.

• I don't have a dedicated SD card for the Wii right now (using my camera's one when absolutely needed), is there anything important other than BootMii (as IOS on this Wii) that needs one?

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
well Sneek needs a SD , so i guess your wanting uneek (usb) . I guess youve got priiloader set up right ? Really is a prerequisite if your going to play with themeing . And your good to go with a nand backup from bootmii ? . I have never tried setting up sneek or uneek as i havent ever needed it . I beleive uneek is slower than the regular nand , and to load games from your uneek setup you need the DI module .

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
SNEEK/UNEEK. NAND emulation, to protect against bad WAD installs, banner bricks, and other such things, right? How does this work, how would I set it up, which do I want, etc. Things are working fine without it, but I would like to try theming things and be less paranoid in general.
Like he said above, PriiLoader should be plenty of protection against banner bricks and theming. If you're really worried about it, keep a recent bootmii backup handy. emuNAND is generally just to have more space available for WiiWare and VC games. xNEEK has better compatability for opening those games so every once in a while there's one that you can't run unless it's either installed in the Wii itself or having it run with xNEEK and with Neek2o there are ways around that, too. There's only like 2 Wii disk games that will ONLY work from xNEEK+DI you could always just not build it until you need it, either way. It's nothing essential.
I don't have a dedicated SD card for the Wii right now (using my camera's one when absolutely needed), is there anything important other than BootMii (as IOS on this Wii) that needs one?
There's nothing IMPORTANT, no. There's some old homebrew games and stuff but even bootmii you only need the files in there when you're going to use it, which shouldn't be too often. No problem leaving it SD-less until you need something.

capojared12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been playing around with wiiflow and Im reallyy enjoying it so far, but Ive run into a few problems.
I have a few snes games downloaded the coverflow recomended cover pack and ran the tool and set it to put all my snes covers into my boxcovers folder in wiiflow. Only problem is non of m covers show up. Can anyone help me? I havn't messed with the settings or paths or anything like that.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
So I've been playing around with wiiflow and Im reallyy enjoying it so far, but Ive run into a few problems.
I have a few snes games downloaded the coverflow recomended cover pack and ran the tool and set it to put all my snes covers into my boxcovers folder in wiiflow. Only problem is non of m covers show up. Can anyone help me? I havn't messed with the settings or paths or anything like that.
A couple of things to remember with emulator covers in Wiiflow
1. you have to include the ROM file extension in the cover name so if the original file is
mario.smc
then the cover filename should be
mario.smc.png
2. there's usually a SUB-folder for covers for each plugin so if the in the INI for the plugin it says
coverfolder=snes9xgx
then you need to put your covers in
/wiiflow/boxcovers/snes9xgx
or
/wiiflow/covers/snes9xgx
3. you might need to hit the home button and refresh your cache for the new covers to show up.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
hi everyone im new to the Wii scene and I'm looking into getting a Wii, is there anything special I need to know before I get one?
Can I just buy one and follow this tutorial and I'll be good to go?
http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-ultimate-wii-hacking-guide-for-beginners.306908/

thanks
The Wii "Family edition" or whatever that's being sold cheaper in stores now lacks GC ports and the memory card slot, so no gamecube stuff.

The "Wii Mini" is currently unhackable and nobody wants it anyways.

As long as you're getting an original US Wii, you'll be fine.

Use ModMii instead, since it looks like that guy just copied the ModMii download package anyways.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/modmii-for-windows-official-support-topic.207126/

Reactions: mostwanted

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
The only thing i would add to Rydians post is at the risk of buying second hand wii's that may have old or potentially corrupting components it is somewhat safer to have a wii built pre 2008 to allow installing Bootmii to boot2 rather than IOS giving better brick protection. But saying that if your careful and read up on the whole process prior to attempting anything , you will be fine either way you go. :)

Reactions: mostwanted

WiiWooWaa

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi all,
Been a long time reader, first time poster. Reason for my post is the following:
I have an old Wii, hardmodded with Wiikey 1. Wiikey firmware 1.9S, the Wii is at version 4.1E.

Now I want to be able to play Wii-games off a usb-harddisk. I've been doing a lot of reading this afternoon, found a lot of tutorials. Most, however, are old ones from 2009 and have been moved archive-sections of fora. So, in order to make sure that I'm following the right steps, I just would like to describe my approach to you all, to verify I'm doing everything right.

As far as I know, I would have to do the following:
1. install bootmii and homebrew channel on SD-card.
2. If possible let Bootmii be installed on boot2.
3. Install homebrew channel
4. Make a NAND-backup on the SD-card. Make sure to back that up somewhere safe.
5. After the homebrew-channel is installed, I can fire up the Wii and let it update.
6. Using the HBC, I can install custom IOS for the Wii
7. Using the HBC, I can install Prii-loader for extra security against bricks
8. Using the HBC, I can install apps, like usb-loader or wii-flow so I can play from harddisk.

Am I correct so far?

Ok, some questions remain:
- I found a new mod-chip-firmware 1.99Beta for the Wiikey 1. Would it be advisable to install that?
- I'm at 4.1E now, would it be advisable to let the Wii update to system menu 4.3? Or should I try to stay at 4.1 or update to 4.2?
- Since I have a wiikey, I can simply run all dvd's.. is the above method using an SD-card necessary? Isn't there some dvd-image I can burn and fire that one up?
- Which loaders/apps are best at this moment to install?

Thanks in advance,
W

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
use ModMii to hack it correctly for usb loading / dvd backup loading. it generates a guide for you automatically to print out. Have a 2GB SD card (blank).
Modmii is a pc app that downloads all necessary files for your SD card.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
can you guys link me to a very detailed tutorial on wii hacking it has been such a long time since i hacked one and my cousin wanted his hacked and i don;t want to mess it up ?
http://modmii.zzl.org/
This is what people recommend, and what I use. Worked just fine.

mostwanted

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I just got myself a Wii at my local store, they had the classic Wii RVL-001 which has GC support :)
Now I'm home trying to softmod my Wii, only to resulting in the Wii not reading any of my SD/SDHC cards- actually it reads the SD/SDHC cards the content is just not being displayed.
I've had the contents in "COPY_TO_SD" on the root of the SD/SDHC cards and I've also had just the folder "COPY_TO_SD" on the root of the SD/SDHC cards and the files/folders aren't showing up
I've formatted to FAT/FAT32

I have a 512MB SD card
and a
4GB SDHC card

@ddetkowski you said I should have a 2GD SD card, does it have to be that exact size?
does it have to be an SD card
My Wii is on version 4.3U and from my understanding it will read SD/SDHC cards up to 32GB

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1