Hacking Nintendont

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The nincfg.bin file also contains widescreen settings for compatible game as Gecko widescreen codes are hardcoded into Nintendont so enabling widescreen in the Nintendont settings is all you need to do.

Reactions: f2000

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
I made a post about this elsewhere on the gba wiiu forums but didnt get any traction, so reposting it here (if thats ok).

I was hoping to enable widescreen on games that support it (along with other stuff I would like to try). I found posts explaining cheat/gecko codes so I've been trying to get that working, everything seems ok but either the codes do nothing or the game freezes at the first screen when starting the game.

What I've been doing:
  1. Inject game using TeconMoon's injector. click on the "Nindont SD Card Menu" enable "Cheats" and "Generate Nintendont config file (nincfg.bin) which is automatically copied the the sdroot"
  2. Install game using WUP Installer GX2 to external drive
  3. Get the codes from either gamemasterplc's site or gamehacking (since geckocodes doesnt seem to be around anymore)
  4. Make sure I have the right game ID (gametdb.com)
  5. Use Ocarina > Codemanager.exe on my laptop and create the .gct file and copy that to the SD card (root/codes/GMPP01.gct)
  6. Start game from the WiiU homescreen as normal (not through any emulator/nintendont/hbc)

Am I doing something wrong/missed a step or does this only work if you use an emulator and not virtual console? I found this other post from 2018 but it involves editing files:

gbatemp.net/threads/wiiu-virtual-console-finally-fixed-no-more-dark-filter-and-widescreen-support.517158/

Not sure if I should go down this route or is this is an old method using the codes is better? For the people that use Gamecube/Wii virtual console games in widescreen what is your preferred method?

I believe .gct files go in sd:/cheats/ or the game.iso file's folder (depending on your ND version) unless you enable the 'cheat path' option in ND.

Last edited by Maq47,

f2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The nincfg.bin file also contains widescreen settings for compatible game as Gecko widescreen codes are hardcoded into Nintendont so enabling widescreen in the Nintendont settings is all you need to do.

Ah, I didn't actually try that as I was under the impression it just stretched the screen where the codes enabled widescreen on compatible games. I will give that a try and see how I get on. Thanks ccfman!

I believe .gct files go in sd:/cheats/ or the game.iso file's folder (depending on your ND version) unless you enable the 'cheat path' option in ND.

I tried putting the codes into "sd:/cheats" instead of "sd:/codes" but they didnt seem to work. I did see people say put the .gct files in with the iso but I have been installing the games with "WUP Installer GX2" and when trying to plug the hard drive into my laptop its no longer recognised. Is that method maybe when you use the "USB Loader" instead? Again, I could be way off. Thanks for the help Maq47!

Last edited by f2000,

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I didn't actually try that as I was under the impression it just stretched the screen where the codes enabled widescreen on compatible games. I will give that a try and see how I get on. Thanks ccfman!
All known Gecko widescreen codes are built into Nintendont. It also uses a generic Widescreen patch if a code didn't exist. Keep in mind that some games have issues with widescreen.

You used to have to use cheat codes to enable widescreen but those codes were eventually hardcoded into Nintendont and are used when Widescreen is enabled.

Last edited by ccfman2004,

f2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I must've got myself muddled up between enabling widescreen via Nintendont, cheat codes, patched roms and editing they layout files from:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiu-vi...re-dark-filter-and-widescreen-support.517158/

So many options, I had no idea which method was the best.

If I can get widescreen working that was the most important thing, other than that it was just to unlock all the minigames on Mario Party titles.

Last edited by f2000,

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
I tried putting the codes into "sd:/cheats" instead of "sd:/codes" but they didnt seem to work. I did see people say put the .gct files in with the iso but I have been installing the games with "WUP Installer GX2" and when trying to plug the hard drive into my laptop its no longer recognised. Is that method maybe when you use the "USB Loader" instead? Again, I could be way off. Thanks for the help Maq47!

Did you enable the 'cheat path' option in ND? It's the 4th or 5th item in the list.

GABO1423

Half the man he used to be.
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Question: Does the 'Force Progressive Scan' option have a performance impact in a GC game playing on a Wii?
No, it does not. All it does is force every game to output at 480p video. Unless you are using PAL games, most GameCube games support 480p natively, so you will get the best video quality possible. Performance will remain the same regardless of whether or not the option is turned on or off.

KungBore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No, it does not. All it does is force every game to output at 480p video. Unless you are using PAL games, most GameCube games support 480p natively, so you will get the best video quality possible. Performance will remain the same regardless of whether or not the option is turned on or off.
Thanks!
Another question: Was Nintendont updated with the 480p fix, as of the lastest October 2019 version? https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-480p-video-bug-discovered.536599/

Last edited by KungBore,

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ethernet works fine for me in vWii. It's only when using an injection that the network never initializes. Would it be possible for injectors to support ethernet?
I would imagine so but I'm guessing that the people who coded the injectors didn't have a USB Ethernet adapter on hand for testing. Also Broadband Adapter support was only recently added to Nintendont and that broke the most commonly used injector. Unfortunately right after it was added, @FIX94 has been MIA so Nintendont was left in a sort of broken state with some USB code issues when BBA code was added.

Aries_Break

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would you happen to know what happens if you leave "force progressive" on and select the native 480p mode at game start? I imagine the in-game setting would be better than a form of emulation, but haven't been able to find an answer on whether one overrides the other or not.

GABO1423

Half the man he used to be.
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Would you happen to know what happens if you leave "force progressive" on and select the native 480p mode at game start? I imagine the in-game setting would be better than a form of emulation, but haven't been able to find an answer on whether one overrides the other or not.
The force progressive mode does not emulate anything, it literally just forces every game to output at 480p. This will not affect any games that natively support 480p, since the results would be pretty much equal. This option is more useful for the few GameCube games that do not have 480p support, and whether or not does that produce a good result varies by game.

Aries_Break

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The force progressive mode does not emulate anything, it literally just forces every game to output at 480p. This will not affect any games that natively support 480p, since the results would be pretty much equal. This option is more useful for the few GameCube games that do not have 480p support, and whether or not does that produce a good result varies by game.

Thanks for responding. Just trying to figure out if I should turn it off in between games that do native support or not. However, I still question a few games, an example being Skies of Arcadia. This game is set to run at 480i max, so I have to believe Nintedont has some form of line doubling it administers. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the devil is in the details so to speak.

cugel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for responding. Just trying to figure out if I should turn it off in between games that do native support or not. However, I still question a few games, an example being Skies of Arcadia. This game is set to run at 480i max, so I have to believe Nintedont has some form of line doubling it administers. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the devil is in the details so to speak.

I'm not 100% on this but in my limited experience:

1. Turning on "force progressive" doesn't conflict with games that have it native. When I boot up a game that's native it seems to always ask if I want progressive, without me having to hit a button.

2. I tried to solve this specifically, but I don't think there's any way to make Skies of Arcadia run in progressive. Which sucks, because it looks like ass without it.

Aries_Break

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not 100% on this but in my limited experience:

1. Turning on "force progressive" doesn't conflict with games that have it native. When I boot up a game that's native it seems to always ask if I want progressive, without me having to hit a button.

2. I tried to solve this specifically, but I don't think there's any way to make Skies of Arcadia run in progressive. Which sucks, because it looks like ass without it.

That's strange yours doesn't kick off. I have an mclassic hooked up to it with a Wii to Hdmi solution, and force progressive causes it to trigger for Skies, indicating the function does work on mine (will pass through 480i). I just don't know if force progressive overrides the games that do have native 480p, as line doubling in any form is usually inferior to a native resolution.

Medard22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Guys is anoyne here using DS4 with Nintendont? I cannot exit from the game using any button combination. I have the correct controller.ini, I can see the buttons work correctly in HID-Test, but the "Power" from the ini is being ignored. I am positive I am using the correct values for Share button, but it doesn´t work. I can use only L+R+Z+Start to reboot the game. It´s driving me crazy. Any ideas?

It´s also one of the opened issues on github, check "Dualshock 4 won't exit Gamecube games since updating Nintendont"

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I'm dumb and am completely missing something...but can you not actually use two USB devices at the same time with Nintendont?

For example, it's my impression that you cannot have the official Nintendo GameCube USB adapter and a USB hard drive plugged in at the same time. I tried doing this on my Wii and it only worked if I unplugged either device, though admittedly I'm using a 9-month old version of Nintendont as my Wii is currently in a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of setup.

I'll be honest, this is kind of the main reason I'm still using Devolution at all because it lets me have both a USB hard drive and and a USB controller/adapter plugged in at the same time, especially since I use the official GameCube USB adapter as an easy way to work as an extension cord for multiplayer sessions (because I have a bunch of USB extension cords). Similarly I'm able to use a wired Xbox 360 controller and a USB hard drive at the same time in Devolution, but AFAICT the Nintendont fork supporting wired 360 controllers has the same limitation of only supporting 1 USB device at a time.

Is everybody just using SD cards instead for GameCube games and are unplugging any USB drives whenever they want to run a GameCube game? But it was also my impression that you can only store Wii games on USB drives (I tried with an SD card a while ago and it just straight-up seemed unsupported), so having to do this USB unplug/plug-in shuffle just seems needless which is why I'm wondering if I'm not missing some sort of major solution here.

Similarly I'm guessing I'm the only one that wants to stick with a 2GB SD card for use with various Wii games that supports SD cards but doesn't support SDHC cards? (Brawl is the most well-known, but I'm particularly partial to my custom music soundtrack that I put together for Excite Truck which can only be done with a non-HC SD card).

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac,

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The USB GameCube adapter uses 2 plugs. One is the data plug and the other powers the rumble. The rumble plug can be connected to another source of power. Do not use a USB hub as it is not supported for USB HDD or controllers.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The USB GameCube adapter uses 2 plugs. One is the data plug and the other powers the rumble. The rumble plug can be connected to another source of power. Do not use a USB hub as it is not supported for USB HDD or controllers.

I should have clarified that I was not talking about a lack of physical ports as 99% of the time I actually don't use the rumble USB plug (rumble seems to work anyway...).

In other words, with at least the version of Nintendont that's around 9 months old at this point (which was still the newest version around 3 months ago when I last re-investigated this stuff), it seems to simply not be possible to run GameCube games from a USB hard drive and have the black USB connector of the official GameCube USB adapter plugged in at the same time - it's physically possible to have both plugs connector, but Nintendont simply doesn't work unless I first unplug the USB adapter.

And to clarify, this behavior occurred with a USB HDD + PS4 controller as well as USB HDD + wired 360 controller (the latter of which requires the according fork that adds support for wired 360 controllers).

So to this seems like a pretty major hurdle to usability which is why I can't help but wonder if I'm not missing something major or if everybody truly is just using SD cards instead, especially since AFAIK this is basically the one remaining benefit that Devolution has over Nintendont (though I still swear that Devolution's input lag on a classic controller is a teeny bit better compared to Nintendont, but I don't have any camera capable of recording at higher than 60fps to be able to confirm/refute this). - that is, with Devolution you can run GameCube games from a USB drive and be able to use a USB controller or the official GameCube USB adapter at the same time.

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head