Hacking WiiU Virtual Console finally fixed! [No More dark filter, and widescreen support!]

MelonSpeedruns

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys! Recently, I found out a few things about the VC software of the WiiU. First of all, since the recent breakout of hacking the iQue Player, we were able to dump the ROMs of that Chinese console. Surprisingly enough, the chinese roms worked perfectly in the VC emulator!

mdWNjaB.jpg

(Thanks Jhynjhi for the screenshot.)

For those who don't know, it is possible to replace the rom inside any N64 VC title by just replacing the file inside the "rom" folder.

Another fun fact is that placing multiple ROMs and starting the software will display a debug menu where users can choose their ROM.

Yn84sHG.png

I wanted to see if there was a way to fix the problems a lot of people were having with the WiiU Virtual Console, being the dark anti-epilepsy filter. For those who don't know, there was a filter on each game in the Virtual Console library, making them render way darker and way less colorful than any other emulator.

After looking around at the files, the file called "FrameLayout.arc" caught my attention. I know .arc files were openable in Wexos' Toolbox, so I took a look at it in that tool.

eYzGnt0.png

As you can see, there is a file called "FrameLayout1080.bflyt".
After openning it again with Wexos' Toolbox, we get this:

708QmCx.png

If we change the scale of element "frame_mask" to 0, it completly removes the dark filter!
If we want the game to be widescreen, simply change the element "frame" to have a size of 1920x1080.

To save the .arc with the edited .bflyt, you need to save the .blfyt as a seperate file, then right click the original one in the .arc and select "Replace".

This is the final result of the hack:

unknown.png

(Thanks gamemasterplc for the Widescreen patch for the rom.)

In any case, I hope the information here was useful. Have a good day everyone!

Last edited by MelonSpeedruns,

b17bomber

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you have to have a widescreen patch for the rom, otherwise moving the frame to 1080 will just stretch everything I take it?

This is really cool. I hope someone develops a patcher for dummies such as myself!

lurkerer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah this is cool. Could be used to get games like DK64 running in widescreen without having to change your ratio via TV panel. I guess other games that were not intended for 16:9 will still exhibit the same rendering issues- like the trees not rendering outside the 4:3 render space in Super Mario 64.

Is FrameLayout.arc located in the packaged rom, or part of the emulator files?

Last edited by lurkerer,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: bonoboy and Traace

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@the_randomizer Hopefully I get credited. :toot:

Okay, ran into an issue. How do I save it as an .arc file? It won't let me save the changes I made. I will credit you, as soon as I figure out how to save it as the arc.
Could you at least add that part in the OP? It's only letting me save as .blfyt file.

lurkerer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's crazy that the hud overlay elements seem to be remain not stretched, but still repositioned into the corners on that OoT screen shot. I wonder if all games will function like this of if there will be issues.

Reactions: Pachee

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While your looking into the emulator, could you look into problematic games like CBFD not running?
Does the multiselect menu change the config file loaded on the fly as well?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While your looking into the emulator, could you look into problematic games like CBFD not running?
Does the multiselect menu change the config file loaded on the fly as well?

Pretty sure that's just the emulator not being all that accurate; Rare used some very complex microcode and dev tools that pushed the N64 to do insane things. Other emulators struggle with it, very few run it well. Same goes with Resident Evil 2.

Reactions: bonoboy

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's crazy that the hud overlay elements seem to be remain not stretched, but still repositioned into the corners on that OoT screen shot. I wonder if all games will function like this of if there will be issues.
That OoT you see in that image is a hacked ROM to allow for proper Widescreen output, don't expect every game to behave like that.

Reactions: Zense and Pachee

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...