spikimini

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
in-retro-la-sega-megadrive-flashback-mini-hd-devoile-un-port-1.jpg

Hi!

You will find below Photos concerning: Sega Megadrive (Genesis) Flashback Mini HD

An USB type Mini B was discovered in the internal Mother board.

in-retro-la-sega-megadrive-flashback-mini-hd-devoile-un-port-2.jpg
in-retro-la-sega-megadrive-flashback-mini-hd-devoile-un-port-3.jpg
in-retro-la-sega-megadrive-flashback-mini-hd-devoile-un-port-4.jpg

Is it possible to hack it?
I don't know... Do you have the answer?

Spikimini from Logic-Sunrise Members

Last edited by spikimini,

spikimini

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I hope someone will hack it, so I can install a few missing games I want to play on Sega... Lands Talker, Light Crusader, Soleil, are three games that should have been with the 85 games pre-installed :)

A video from EtaPrime on Youtube at the14/11/2017 said that it runs Androids !!!

This is an Android version RK3036:

Dual-core Cortex-A7 up to 1.2gHz
Mali 400MP GPU
DDR3 / DDR3L

Connected to PC on Ubuntu ---> RK3036

with directory like Android:

---\Alarms
---\Android
---\Atgames
---\DCIM
---\Download
---\LOST.DIR
---\Movies
---\Ringtones
---\.android_secure

Is it possible to backup the Nand from a PC?
Is it possible to recharge the Nand from a PC?
The video does not tell us the available memory size ....?

Is there anyone who will work on this console?

Jojse

Trophies
XP
Country
Very good news, lets hope he release it to the public soon, it will be a great christmas present :)

jkgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I posted instructions on how to add your own roms via the USB port over at the AtariAge forums. Unfortunately, this forum won't let me post a direct link.

jkgamer

jkgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The emulation is pretty good, much better than previous ATGames attempts. They do use their own proprietary emulation, but so far it's been able to run everything that I throw at it. I have seen occasional hiccups on some of the more intense graphics games and Virtua Racing won't run (Obviously they aren't emulating its custom 3D chip.) Also, the sound is much better that it is with older ATGames emulation. I would not put it on par with the NES Classic or SNES Classic, and the menu navigation sucks, but its definitely able to play most Genesis and Sega Master System games. It also plays Game Gear, but I haven't added any of my Game Gear games to my current build.

jkgamer

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulation is quite good, sound is not unfortunately. Some boards come with a 2gb 29F chip (29F16) some with 4gb 29F chip (29F32).
qwgG9RD.jpg

7WmKiuJ.png

I extracted the full firmware partitions and installed some apk in my samsung androud device: some installs (with no special permissions needed) some not; the ones installed have no icon and cannot be run.
LdkKfBd.jpg

To extract the full firmware splitted in all the 15 "partitions" you need an (i suppose) official and free rockchip tool, just need to install adb drivers previously and then connect the usb mini cable, start the tool and switch to "usb mode" instead of default mtp (no need to install mtp drivers, just install the adb ones).

My device is dated September 2017 and i cannot find this file /sdcard/Android/obb/com.atgames.menu.hal/com.atgames.menu.hal.obb nor the /Android/obb folder so I am sure this is a newer system OS revision.

ROMs are stored at /system/atgames/Genesis and all-game.ini is inside /system/atgames/

/system is ro so you need to make it rw, copy files and re-ro it. It works, just tested.

Last edited by asper,
Reactions: DarthDub

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very easy to add your favorite games on Sega Flashback, check this great youtube guide

Yeah. The only problem seems to be that windows below 8 (ex. Windows 7) does not have MTP USB drivers (mandatory to see the device SDCARD partition as a FAT32 flashdrive); but if you installed Android drivers (ex. Portable Devices) you can use them: here it is a quick guide.

I managed to get screenshots:
wGEXoWu.png

mIh3JtO.png

I hope to get USB support as soon as the adapter i ordered will arrive.

Last edited by asper,
Reactions: DarthDub

Jojse

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes USB support would be nice, and also some kind of controller-hack to use d-pad to move up and down, I can't understand why they did it like this :cry:

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XrQN9Ax.png

Retroarch started. Not working correctly (yet). Hope to find more time to work on it.

EDIT
Made it to work using touch software emulation via ADB (NES Aladdin using FCEUMM core):
CitGMdj.png

Q2ArcTq.png

Wireless controller is working ! Need to make use of it inside the Retroarch main screen otherwise it is a real pain to load cores and games.

Last edited by asper,

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Picodrive is working too:
4bqbmDz.png

gRVvuDf.png

If there is some andorid-guru listening i can provide the decompiled apk; what is really needed now is a way to enable wireless pad buttons to control launched applications, they (pad keys) seems to work only with the default "launcher/menu".

EDIT:
E86PLp5.png

Now keys are partially working; still need to configure the 3 menu-start-rewind keys and make retroarch to start instead of default (ugly) launcher.

Last edited by asper,

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this only for the HD version or also SD version? :unsure:
Just Mega Drive Flashback HD version, i do not have the SD one.

I just managed to permanently install retroarch and resize system partition, if i manage to obtain something useful i will make and release a custom rom (it is an Android device). Dunno if i will be able to get it working; progress will be posted here.

Reactions: santamanga

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The package with the 1st Custom ROM/Firmware for Mega Drive Flashback is ready !

It contains 3 folders:

1 - the 1st one provide a way to fully backup your console NAND to have a working recovery solution if something goes wrong.
2 - the 2nd one is a pre-cooked firmware with RetroArch integrated; it can be flashed as-is if your console NAND configuration is the same as the one provided
(read the included .txt for more information)
3 - the 3rd one is a folder where you can play with ADB and the console; you can find some batch scripts and some shell script to see how the console works.

The console is based on Android 4.4.4; my unit has 4GB NAND but I saw some other units with 2GB only so be careful when flashing (read the included .txt files) !
The console is probably compatible with external USB flash drives but I need to test it (I miss the correct USB mini to USB female adapter).

It took me almost 2 weeks to achieve that result and it is nothing more than some "script-kiddie" stuff, feel free to modify and use it as you prefere.
The readme files are best readable with Metapad (wrap test option ON).

I will probably not have the time to answer questions but I wrote quite exaustive readmes inside the package to explain each step better. if you have doubts write them here but do not get angry if I will not answer :P

Download link.

Last edited by asper,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well, after a day of pain, i'm gonna catch some zs