Happy 20th birthday, to the Nintendo 64!

2801862368_df8fdfdafc_o.jpg

It's March 1, 2017 today, and that means it's been a full twenty years since the Nintendo 64 launched (in Europe and Australia, at least) on March 1, 1997. America, as it tends to, got their hands on the console five months prior, in September 1996, so perhaps a celebration is a bit overdue at this point, but I digress. Originally retailing for £250 in the UK, which, going off of a few inflation calculators, £250 translates to around £410 in today's money. That's around £100 more than what the Switch will cost when it launches! In terms of games, the N64 launched with a whopping five titles, such as Pilotwings 64, FIFA Soccer 64, Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire, Wayne Gretzky's Hockey, and finally, the ever-lovable flagship title, Super Mario 64.

It was a console created to compete with in the fifth generation of gaming, although it was a bit late to the party, coming out two years after the PlayStation and Saturn. The N64 was Nintendo's first foray into the fledgling market of 64-bit games, moving from pixels and sprites to polygons and large, open worlds. Super Mario 64 would revolutionize the platforming genre, and become such a classic, that it still impacts platforming games to this day. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time would release nearly two years later, on December 11, 1998, and would further innovate gaming, as it brought the Zelda series to 3D for the first time, as well. Third-party company Rare would continue their partnership with Nintendo, and go on to create well-remembered games such as GoldenEye 007, Killer Instinct, Diddy Kong Racing, and what is probably their most beloved N64 release, Banjo-Kazooie.

Nintendo would also release a litany of other standout titles, like Pokemon Stadium, which would showcase player's favorite Pokemon in more than just black-and-white pixels. There was F-Zero X, which would become one of the N64's only 60fps titles, reportedly becoming the first 3D racing game to run at such a smooth speed. Mario Sports titles would also find their beginnings here, with Golf and Tennis making their debuts. Paper Mario continued Super Mario RPG's turn-based legacy, offering a sprawling adventure across the Mushroom Kingdom. Super Smash Bros. would become an expected success, creating a party brawler who's sequel is still rabidly played to this day. Everyone's favorite love-to-hate, rage-quit ridden, joystick breaking game, Mario Party also had it's roots on the N64. Multiplatform games like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Rayman 2, Resident Evil 2, and more, also found success on Nintendo's at-the-time current home console. Nintendo franchises like Yoshi, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Star Fox all thrived as well, with their releases on the N64 being some of the best in Nintendo history. It wasn't all success, though. Mother 3, Fire Emblem 64, and other third party projects would find themselves cancelled, or moved to other platforms, as companies parted ways with Nintendo, such as Square Enix and Final Fantasy.

Fireemblem6beta01.jpg manor.jpg oriental-blue-nintendo-64dd-cancelled.jpg

When all was said and done, the Nintendo 64 sold just a tick under 33 million units. Many loved the console, and many found the lack of certain titles enough to jump ship and join the Sony side of things. So, what's your opinion on the N64? Any cherished memories of the console that you fondly remember? Or do you view the N64 a bit more cynically? Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Last edited by Chary,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, on emulation, you wait literally like 10 seconds just to pause the game and choose your items on Ocarina of Time.
Really painful. The Ocarina of Time ROM Hacks are only playable on emulator >_>

That's been fixed for a long time, not sure what plugin or version you're using; that sub-menu issue has been fixed since forever lol. PJ64 2.3 and Mupen64 2.0 plus has fixed Ocarina of Time's menu glitch. Other emulators like Not64 don't have it fixed however. And I can prove it too.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's been fixed for a long time, not sure what plugin or version you're using; that sub-menu issue has been fixed since forever lol. PJ64 2.3 and Mupen64 2.0 plus has fixed Ocarina of Time's menu glitch. Other emulators like Not64 don't have it fixed however. And I can prove it too.

I use Mupen64 0.5, not sure what's the newest plugin to date, I prefer a plugin from 2017. If that isn't available, a plugin from end 2016.
I love the 0.5 version of Mupen. Maybe it's just a plugin, anyway, I'd like the newest plugin to date.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have my N64 hooked up to a 32" Sony WEGA CRT in my bedroom. Everdrive 64 with full romset on it. If I was only allowed to keep one of my gaming systems it would be this.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Mupen64 0.5, not sure what's the newest plugin to date, I prefer a plugin from 2017. If that isn't available, a plugin from end 2016.
I love the 0.5 version of Mupen. Maybe it's just a plugin, anyway, I'd like the newest plugin to date.

GlideN64 from Gonetz is what you want, but it doesn't work with Mupen 0.5, that's really old; Mupen64 2.0 plus is way more compatible and up to date, works fine in RetroArch. I'd be more than happy to record video of OOT working properly emulated.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GlideN64 from Gonetz is what you want, but it doesn't work with Mupen 0.5, that's really old; Mupen64 2.0 plus is way more compatible and up to date, works fine in RetroArch. I'd be more than happy to record video of OOT working properly emulated.

I found a v2.5 version, but it doesn't work. How does it work?
I'm not into emulation except when playing ROM Hacks which is the goal that I'm using it.

mario5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like I was a bit older than the crowd around here when I got mine in 1999. Between the crazy 3 pronged controller and the muddy gfx, it had a few hits and exclusives I like (Hybrid Heaven anyone).

But honestly here's the telling part for me:

It is the system I own the least amount of games for that I've owned for over 10 years, for a total of 36 games. So if that's not telling I'm not sure what is.

Even after reading the Nintendo 64 Anthology recently, I only added 8 more games to the list of ones I passed on originally and even those will be a hard sell for me to buy (as most are racing games)

One of my least favorite Nintendo systems ever released that I own.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A look into my organization and hoarding habits. I still have it, I doubt it's the original one I played in 1999, but still.

EKs3UlE.jpg

Problem is that I never got replacement controllers after one of my sisters' hamsters chewed the previous controller cables about 12 or so years go...yeah. Anyways, the first memories of gaming really came from the N64, Mario Kart 64 and Pokemon Stadium in particular. Party games essentially, I'd play with my two sisters, we'd race each other or do the Pokemon mini games, we all sucked at the Clefairy Says thing, but years later I mastered that. A lot of rentals from good ol' Blockbuster and Hollywood Video (if anyone remembers that, I'd hug you). Pokemon Stadium 2, Mortal Kombat Trilogy were popular rentals, I distinctly remember a series of matches me and one of my mother's ex boyfriends had in MK Trilogy. We both pulled off fatalities, though I don't remember who was who. I remember one of us pulled off Raiden's fatality. That was probably him because I mained Liu Kang at the time. I think N64 was the first home console we owned, if not the first we owned for more than a year. I know I had a Super Nintendo and showed off Super Mario World to my BFF at the time, but that had to be in 2001 because I had my own bedroom by then, and these N64 memories were when I shared a bedroom with my 2 sisters. Anyways, as many memories with N64 I had, I didn't play many of the games. Banjo Kazooie and NBA Hangtime, I still have both, though their stickers are torn off, you can't tell which is which. Forsaken, some first person shooter/horror thing, I liked that. Cruise N' USA, loved that. Rush was a rental, so awesome though. The list dries up, I never played Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye 007, these famous titles. That's how it is even today, I probably never played more than 20 games of any console, and 20's a rough estimate to begin with.

Anyways, happy belated USA birthday to N64, I know I read about September 1996 being its American launch, but I didn't celebrate it. Better late than never.

Pitou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I grew up in the 80's. Playing Atari 2600, Colecovision and Intellivision. I really loved the N64 and all Nintendo consoles. I remember, I was really excited seeing a Super Mario 64 Demo stand at Walmart and for me, it was the first 3D that I ever played. I thought it was great!

I do remember the good old Doctor V64 that I still have in working condition. That was great time!

I'm now old (44), but still enjoy all consoles. I should have my Switch tomorrow. Can't wait!!

Pitou!

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Grew up with a ps1, but I've always wanted a N64 too. Too bad I could never find one when I was a kid.
I remember, in a store, there was this circular shelf that could rotate, full of N64 games. I've looked at them everytime I went there,
imagining how the game were like and stuff like that. I still remember there being a copy of Kirby 64.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo