MisterFPGA has been updated to include an official release for its Nintendo 64 core

misterfpga.png

The highly popular and accurate FPGA hardware, MisterFGPA, has received today a brand new update with a long-awaited feature, or rather, a new core for hardcore players to enjoy, with the N64 core.

For the unaware, an FPGA stands for Field Programmable Gate Arrays, which in layman's terms means that the hardware is made up of a wide variety of "arrays" that allow the programmer to modify the way in which the hardware itself works, basically reconfiguring the hardware to achieve or meet certain requirements, and in some cases, to mimic other hardware, which in the case of the MisterFPGA, it mimics the original hardware of several video game consoles through "cores", which are developed by many contributors and cover a wide range of consoles, like the older Intellivision or Atari consoles, all the way up to the 5th generation of consoles, which include the original PlayStation, and now with the latest update, the Nintendo 64 as well. All of this with compatibility with several controllers as well as clean HDMI output and several other features.

The main objective of the MisterFPGA is to recreate the original consoles hardware configurations through its FPGA to run games for the available consoles, since it is basically reconfiguring the FPGA's hardware to that of the original console's hardware and how it behaved, allowing for the most accurate way to experience either original and officially released games for the consoles, or even newer homebrew titles developed for them or romhacks as well. Not only that, but the MisterFPGA has proven to be a resourceful tool for those that want their homebrew games or romhacks to be compatible with real hardware.

People who already have their hands on a MisterFPGA can run the updater to download the newly added Nintendo 64 core and start playing their N64 library.

:arrow: MisterFPGA GitHub page

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda why I don’t give it a thought. FPGA emulation is great on paper, but I’m not spending money when it funds degens who are ultimately bad for the retro community, contributions aside. Just my opinion though. I still believe original hardware can’t be beat.
That’s the boat I’m in. I can agree it’s neat and they are doing amazing (and not easy) work

But I’m not supporting this practice. I’ve seen some of the main core developers actively dox and abuse their other members over Twitter over disagreements

That’s not normal behavior

Reactions: Kioku

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Kinda why I don’t give it a thought. FPGA emulation is great on paper, but I’m not spending money when it funds degens who are ultimately bad for the retro community, contributions aside. Just my opinion though. I still believe original hardware can’t be beat.
The MARS team is really bad... Worse than Analogue, if you can believe it.

Reactions: Kioku and SylverReZ

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried out the core last night with some Mischief Makers and Majoras Mask and it was fantastic. I'm really glad we got Y/C support in the end as I use S-Video.

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
i just love my „original“ n64 hw + retrotink + built in esp32 for wireless. unfortunately there are problems with pal60, but here I have a rp2040 as a stopgap solution, which converts to hdmi. there is no need to spend a fortune. A complete solution would be a bit boring for me.

Last edited by ciaomao,
Reactions: osaka35

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
i just love my „original“ n64 hw + retrotink + built in esp32 for wireless. unfortunately there are problems with pal60, but here I have a rp2040 as a stopgap solution, which converts to hdmi. there is no need to spend a fortune. A complete solution would be a bit boring for me.
My problem with real N64 is that it looks so bad even with a CRT. Like I bought an N64 last year and got an everdrive and it was so blurry and most of the library isn't great.

Ironically, with the MiSTer core, I can disable the stuff I hate but it looks kinda like PS1 after without the wobbly effect.

Reactions: ldeveraux

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
My problem with real N64 is that it looks so bad even with a CRT. Like I bought an N64 last year and got an everdrive and it was so blurry and most of the library isn't great.

Ironically, with the MiSTer core, I can disable the stuff I hate but it looks kinda like PS1 after without the wobbly effect.
not with a pico hdmi mod. it's even too sharp for my liking, so i prefer the tink with edge smoothing. the selection of games is most enjoyable when you have your nostalgia glasses on. but there are plenty of classics. admittedly, many of them haven't aged as well as i would have liked.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
not with a pico hdmi mod. it's even too sharp for my liking, so i prefer the tink with edge smoothing. the selection of games is most enjoyable when you have your nostalgia glasses on. but there are plenty of classics. admittedly, many of them haven't aged as well as i would have liked.
Is the Pico hdmi mod good already? Based on checking:

1. It's stretched
2. No options
3. Sound is partial at best and probably won't be fixed.
4. Has increased input lag

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
It's stretched
2. No options
3. Sound is partial at best and probably won't be fixed.
4. Has increased input lag
mostly true. there is an osd on horizon that will handle the audio and color depth. input lag? not sure, maybe I'm not sensitive enough to notice it. here are two pics i shot a while ago. the first is with the pico and the second with the tink. for a 5$ solution it does the job. i wouldn't recommend it as the sole solution. as i said, i only use it for pal60.
1712320661274.png

1712320711107.png

Last edited by ciaomao,

supaplex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I bought the DE-10 Nano back in 2020 for around $130 I believe, then slowly bought the expansion boards, 8bitdo joypads / arcade stick and metal case, couldn't be happier with it.

Reactions: Jayro and ciaomao

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs.