Analogue 3D - an FPGA based reimagining of the N64 announced

Analogue 3D

Analogue - the company behind the revered Analogue Pocket have announced their latest product, the Analogue 3D.

The Analogue 3D is an FPGA based home console capable of playing N64 cartridges but sporting modern technical capabilities such as 4K output, Bluetooth and 2.4ghz wireless controller support and more. As it is an FPGA solution, this means that the emulation is done at a hardware level - not software. The chips are programmed to emulate hardware functions directly instead of relying on software or higher level code to do so which often results in improved accuracy and latency.

The Analogue 3D promises "100% compatibility" across all software and much like the Pocket, will offer different display modes - using "reference quality recreations of specific model CRT’s and PVM’s" these display modes intend to mimic the output of an original N64 producing results that original hardware would have displayed at the time.

Analogue 3D
  • Wireless Bluetooth and 2.4g.
  • 4 original-style controller ports.
  • Completely engineered in FPGA.
  • Analogue OS.
No emulation.
  • A reimagining of the N64.
  • 4K resolution.
  • Original Display Modes.
  • Reference quality recreations of specific model CRT’s and PVM’s.
The first and only aftermarket solution supporting 100% compatibility in every region. USA, EU & JP. Coming in 2024.

Details are scarce right now but we will cover more on the Analogue 3D in the future and will hopefully be reviewing the product some time next year.

:arrow: Source

Attachments

• controller-slide_1.adb20a7ba641e.jpg
    controller-slide_1.adb20a7ba641e.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by shaunj66,

Henx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"The Future is Here" saying is getting old. They have been saying that since the days of the mobile phone, internet, crypto, AI, to be continued...

The reality is: the future is grim. Climate is f*cked, and people are dying. I don't want The Future, give me just nostalgia. KKthxbye

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I wonder when Analogue is going to drop this on us, because MARS is approaching, and so is the Replay2, while MiSTer got an unexpected N64 core out of nowhere, so MARS has3 systems to compete with now for N64, instead of dominating like they were probably hoping.

I got my Nintendo 64 when they were really cheap, so no thanks.

I got mine with Goldeneye, the Expansion pak, and a controller for $75 from Facebook Marketplace in 2018. I felt like I ripped the guy off, but I told him I'd pay his asking price, and he delivered. It was a bit dirty, but works 100%. Then I've been building my N64 library of games ever since then.

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
"The Future is Here" saying is getting old. They have been saying that since the days of the mobile phone, internet, crypto, AI, to be continued...

The reality is: the future is grim. Climate is f*cked, and people are dying. I don't want The Future, give me just nostalgia. KKthxbye
keep your head up, stay positive and change what you can in your environment.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Then I've been building my N64 library of games ever since then

If you got a real N64 with expansion pack a romloader tends to work, but nowadays I just tend to use either my PC or the Wii ports of N64 games. Definitely using my PC lately cause I play a whole lot of romhacks.

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder when Analogue is going to drop this on us, because MARS is approaching, and so is the Replay2, while MiSTer got an unexpected N64 core out of nowhere, so MARS has3 systems to compete with now for N64, instead of dominating like they were probably hoping.

I got mine with Goldeneye, the Expansion pak, and a controller for $75 from Facebook Marketplace in 2018. I felt like I ripped the guy off, but I told him I'd pay his asking price, and he delivered. It was a bit dirty, but works 100%. Then I've been building my N64 library of games ever since then.
i wouldn't hold my breath for MARS considering they've been cockteasing us worse then Analogue at this point

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
i wouldn't hold my breath for MARS considering they've been cockteasing us worse then Analogue at this point
They are some toxic-ass mother fuckers for sure. Especially Pram0d and Atrac17. I'm blocked on MARS team's twitter because I called them out on their bullshit. :rofl2:

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I think that if you have the money for it, a real Nintendo 64 with a romloader is better but this is still quite neat.

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that if you have the money for it, a real Nintendo 64 with a romloader is better but this is still quite neat.
i think it's ideal if you want an N64 that already has hdmi without needing to solder anything

... and you also just HAAAAAAATE the original controller

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I recently got a retrotink, so my use case for Analogue products outside the Pocket has dropped considerably. Yeah sure, the original hardware won't be displayed at native 1080p or anything, but the retrotink does a damn good job upscaling the content and making it look good on a modern display, which is all I care about.

And frankly, the updates and customer service side of Analogue with the Pocket have been abysmal; there are announcement-day features from like 3-4 years ago that STILL aren't supported on the device, such as DAC-support. So I don't really feel like doing that song and dance with them again, even if I'm happy with my Pocket overall.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
i think it's ideal if you want an N64 that already has hdmi without needing to solder anything

... and you also just HAAAAAAATE the original controller

The original games weren't made with hdmi in mind, so you would need software upscaling and at that point just use an emulator.

And for controllers, there are options.

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The original games weren't made with hdmi in mind, so you would need software upscaling and at that point just use an emulator.

And for controllers, there are options.
it is an option... but even in 2024, N64 emulation isn't perfect and this is definitely for people that want something that's as close as possible to original hardware that lets you use your old carts and accessories but with all the modern "quality-of-life" conveniences.

Which has been Analogue's MO since they've existed

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
it is an option... but even in 2024, N64 emulation isn't perfect and this is definitely for people that want something that's as close as possible to original hardware that lets you use your old carts and accessories but with all the modern "quality-of-life" conveniences.

Which has been Analogue's MO since they've existed

There are a few upscaling things for Nintendo 64 hardware, Madlittlepixel has reviewed a few of them.

Here is a 20 bucks one:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto