Analogue 3D - an FPGA based reimagining of the N64 announced

Analogue 3D

Analogue - the company behind the revered Analogue Pocket have announced their latest product, the Analogue 3D.

The Analogue 3D is an FPGA based home console capable of playing N64 cartridges but sporting modern technical capabilities such as 4K output, Bluetooth and 2.4ghz wireless controller support and more. As it is an FPGA solution, this means that the emulation is done at a hardware level - not software. The chips are programmed to emulate hardware functions directly instead of relying on software or higher level code to do so which often results in improved accuracy and latency.

The Analogue 3D promises "100% compatibility" across all software and much like the Pocket, will offer different display modes - using "reference quality recreations of specific model CRT’s and PVM’s" these display modes intend to mimic the output of an original N64 producing results that original hardware would have displayed at the time.

Analogue 3D
  • Wireless Bluetooth and 2.4g.
  • 4 original-style controller ports.
  • Completely engineered in FPGA.
  • Analogue OS.
No emulation.
  • A reimagining of the N64.
  • 4K resolution.
  • Original Display Modes.
  • Reference quality recreations of specific model CRT’s and PVM’s.
The first and only aftermarket solution supporting 100% compatibility in every region. USA, EU & JP. Coming in 2024.

Details are scarce right now but we will cover more on the Analogue 3D in the future and will hopefully be reviewing the product some time next year.

:arrow: Source

Attachments

• controller-slide_1.adb20a7ba641e.jpg
    controller-slide_1.adb20a7ba641e.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by shaunj66,

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
id love to get one of these so i can use my cartridges and preserve my original n64 and the controllers i have for it. everyone once a while its fun to pull out the original but this is a good alternative for me. excited to see when it comes out and what the price is.

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't disagree, the library is pretty small. Still, there's Banjo Kazooie, Tooie, Conker, Zelda, Mischief Makers, Mario Party 2&3, Super Smash Bros. Enough reasons to revisit the console every now and then. For the right price - if it's a cent over $400 I'll probably have to pass, but $300 would be a day 1 preorder. I just can't justify spending that much when there are other things I need more.

I think $300 is the price sweet spot for this. I don't expect it to be less than $300, and I think there's a high chance it'll be more than that, but that is the maximum price they should aim for if they want this thing to sell well. Presumably, like the Super Nt it won't come with controllers, so people are still looking at spending $400+ if they want controllers to go with it.
Yeah. Probably pick up for $300 because it’d be fun to collect for and have a nice modern console, but then again, n64 collecting is littered with bootlegs whilst ps1 collecting is pretty much bootleg free. Another W for PS1. Plus ps1 has goated jrpgs while n64 got nada

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
And how long will it be before those other guys create a clone console using Mupen64Plus code?
Oh you mean Hyperkin?
Post automatically merged:

Yeah. Probably pick up for $300 because it’d be fun to collect for and have a nice modern console, but then again, n64 collecting is littered with bootlegs whilst ps1 collecting is pretty much bootleg free. Another W for PS1. Plus ps1 has goated jrpgs while n64 got nada
N64 bootlegs are easy to avoid if you go shopping at a retro game convention. No ody there tries to pass bootlegs off as legit. I only saw one booth selling bootlegs, and they were marked as such for the entire bin.

Reactions: _47iscool

Ichisuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'd buy this only if the games can have internal resolution upscaling and I can save on an internal memory or whatever, without worrying about the battery in my cartridge,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd buy this only if the games can have internal resolution upscaling and I can save on an internal memory or whatever, without worrying about the battery in my cartridge,
You can literally swap out the SRAM with FRAM.

Ichisuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can literally swap out the SRAM with FRAM.
Are you talking about the cartridges or the controller memory pack thing?
Because I knew that in the cartridge it wasn't possible due to the fact that every cartridge has a "custom save chip" or something like that.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I just setup a savings account for buying this thing. I'll put $50 into it each payday. (Don't worry about my Checking account, I get paid later tonight, so that will be another $50 going in as well!)

Screenshot_20231018_114824_TwinStar.png

Post automatically merged:

Are you talking about the cartridges or the controller memory pack thing?
Because I knew that in the cartridge it wasn't possible due to the fact that every cartridge has a "custom save chip" or something like that.
Some carts can. And all controller paks can be swapped over.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm fully expecting $500 or so, and I'm saving up.

Yeah I'm thinking so too, which is a hard pill to swallow considering I paid $20 for my purple "Funtastic Series" 64 with matching controller, from Gamestop of all places. I actually bought a standard used black/gray box that day with a few games, and the guy working the counter asked for my phone number and a short list of games I really wanted so they could call me if any came in. I was home maybe a half hour and the guy calls, to tell me someone just sold them this purple see-thru 64 that has hardly been played on, and I could come back and exchange straight up. An isolated incident, but Gamestop really did right by me that day. That was in 2003 or 2004 I think ... and of course I still have that purple machine.

Reactions: Guacaholey

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'm thinking so too, which is a hard pill to swallow considering I paid $20 for my purple "Funtastic Series" 64 with matching controller, from Gamestop of all places. I actually bought a standard used black/gray box that day with a few games, and the guy working the counter asked for my phone number and a short list of games I really wanted so they could call me if any came in. I was home maybe a half hour and the guy calls, to tell me someone just sold them this purple see-thru 64 that has hardly been played on, and I could come back and exchange straight up. An isolated incident, but Gamestop really did right by me that day. That was in 2003 or 2004 I think ... and of course I still have that purple machine.
I just hope if they make it expensive, we get an aluminum chassis. With the heat it will generate, I'm willing to bet the aluminum will help dissipate the heat by acting as a passive heatsink.

And I still have my Jungle Green DK64 N64 with controller from my early teen years.

Reactions: Hanafuda

crea

Trophies
XP
Country
Lesotho
Analogue will again produce way less then the demand to artificially keep the price insanely high.

I get what they are doing with the brand and the devices, even with the "luxory" niche. It's fucking cool.

But at the same time it excludes so many retro enthusiasts that just cannot fork out 500$ every time.

Maybe it is their way of keeping low profile and not cut into the original console maker's retro market share...who knows.

_Snow_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm waiting for a company to make a clone console that can accept and play all the retro Nintendo cartridges: NES, SNES, N64, and GB(C) and GBA
Depending on the console's capability, once this is out and there is CFW for it, I'm sure there will be a third party out there who might just make cart adapters, so that you could play all of the above console games on the system. Might even have a way of playing GameCube games as well. That could make it the ultimate modernized retro Nintendo-replacement console.

I wonder if the console will use OSSC.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
but how will n64 games look in 4k without HD texture packs?
If it's anything like the Pocket (only Analogue device I'll have), there will be screen filters designed to emulate an original tube TV display, which will make it look way nicer than just upscaling a 240p image or whatever onto a modern 1080p or 4K display, imo.

I doubt I'll be able to justify the purchase this time, but I'm very curious, especially because you know OpenFPGA will get a PS1 core for it and whatnot, too.

Fenthor92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It is so sad Analogue does not distribute its products to Europe. It is so expensive to buy one of this devices, shipping and taxes almost doubles the price...

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm waiting for a company to make a clone console that can accept and play all the retro Nintendo cartridges: NES, SNES, N64, and GB(C) and GBA
Like a MiSTer?

EDIT: Oops, I think you meant one that can accept the cartridges, but the closest you get to that is the Retron consoles, but those are software emulation.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
It is so sad Analogue does not distribute its products to Europe. It is so expensive to buy one of this devices, shipping and taxes almost doubles the price...

also, double check any orders when importing, got charged twice for import duty because Analogue screwed up the invoice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto