Atari announces the "Atari 2600+", a re-release of its iconic Atari 2600 with new features

In a surprising take, Atari has announced today the return of its iconic Atari 2600 console released originally in 1977. The console, which sparked a lot of mainstream popularity during the late 70s and early 80s, will be getting an updated version with many new enhancements and modern features for players to enjoy, like HDMI output, widescreen and even with the ability to play physical Atari 2600 and 7800 cartridges right on the console.

According to Atari, the new console will have the following features:
  • Plays both Atari 2600 and 7800 game cartridges
  • HDMI output makes it easy to connect
  • Widescreen mode
  • Enlarged cartridge socket reduces sticking
  • Atari logo lights up when being played
As for what the console will include, Atari has listed the following items which will come alongside the Atari 2600+ console:
  • Atari 2600+ Game System
  • Atari CX40+ Joystick recreated to the same specifications as the original
  • Atari 10-in-1 Game Cartridge with the following games:
    • Adventure®
    • Combat®
    • Dodge 'Em™
    • Haunted House®
    • Maze Craze™
    • Missile Command®
    • RealSports® Volleyball
    • Surround™
    • Video Pinball™
    • Yars' Revenge®
  • HDMI Cable
  • USB-C Power Cable
  • DB9 port connectors compatible with original Atari 2600 hardware.
It has been confirmed that the system will indeed use emulation to play the titles, and Atari has also included a full compatibility list of games that will be compatible with the console, both from the 2600 and 7800 sides, and of course the beloved E.T. The Extra-Terrestial is fully playable with the 2600+ for players to enjoy in full HD. As for the system's hardware specifications, it will be featuring a Rockchip 3128 SOC microprocessor with 256MB DDR3 RAM and 256MB eMMC fixed internal storage. The system itself will be available on November 2023.

The Atari 2600+ is now available for pre-orders with a price of $129.99 USD, and the shipping for the system will begin on November 2023, although the list of retailers for international availability hasn't been added yet.

:arrow: Atari 2600+ Official Website
:arrow: Atari 2600+ Games Compatibility List

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Those connectors aren't "Serial port connectors" they're Atari Joystick connectors. Same DB-9 plug but try plugging a serial device into an atari (or vice versa) and you'll quickly release some magic smoke because they are completely different and have absolutely nothing in common apart from the connector.

krakenx

Trophies
XP
Country
Isn't there already an Atari collection for modern consoles with way more games for way less money? I guess if someone had a bunch of original cartridges and wanted to use their original controllers... but $120 is a lot for 10 games that are so basic.

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For the past 10 year's, Atari has released a "new" console almost every year with some years having more than one. And yes I'm also talking about the "Atari Flashback" consoles.

Reactions: fmhugo

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They shouldn't have announced this, let alone started taking pre-orders, until compatibility was close to 100%. At least test all the games.

I don't think it's a bad concept if you already have a big collection of carts. Not really worth it for anyone else, including if it gets hacked for ROMS.

If/when it flops and goes dirt cheap I'd be interested for the shelf.

Reactions: Darksabre72

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't even come with even one paddle controller? There were frickin' plug and play atari consoles with hdmi output, 2 sticks AND two paddles which came with like 50 games and cost less than 30 bucks at walmart a few years ago, but these guys want 130!?

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got an Atari 2600 on Christmas morning the year I was in 6th grade. It was a "sixer" version, heavy or light I dunno. I played that thing to death for the next 3-4 years. Memory/nostalgia overflow.

And I wouldn't pay fifty cents for this remake. I used that Atari because I had to. Parents wouldn't listen to talk of also buying Colecovision or Intellivision and tbh those kinda sucked even more. Atari 400, 800, or an actual computer like TRS-80 or Apple were all out of the question. Too poor for that. And Nintendo didn't come along until I was a freshman in college. So for a while there, Atari was what most of us then were stuck with. Doesn't mean we liked it.

My middle brother and I grew up on the Atari 2600 and had the time of our lives playing those games as kids. We actually LOVED many of the games. Never had an Intellivision or Colecovision either, but friends did and while cool, I wasn't really impressed either. It wasn't like OMG IT'S SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER. And I agree with you that in some ways they were worse.

But yeah. I also agree that I wouldn't pay 50 cents for this either. I mean, it's pretty cool it will play the original cartridges but I've tried playing all the 2600 games I loved as a kid via emulator.... and these games just flat out suck now.

Last edited by RedColoredStars,
Reactions: Hanafuda

mopphire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

In a surprising take, Atari has announced today the return of its iconic Atari 2600 console released originally in 1977. The console, which sparked a lot of mainstream popularity during the late 70s and early 80s, will be getting an updated version with many new enhancements and modern features for players to enjoy, like HDMI output, widescreen and even with the ability to play physical Atari 2600 and 7800 cartridges right on the console.

According to Atari, the new console will have the following features:
  • Plays both Atari 2600 and 7800 game cartridges
  • HDMI output makes it easy to connect
  • Widescreen mode
  • Enlarged cartridge socket reduces sticking
  • Atari logo lights up when being played
As for what the console will include, Atari has listed the following items which will come alongside the Atari 2600+ console:
  • Atari 2600+ Game System
  • Atari CX40+ Joystick recreated to the same specifications as the original
  • Atari 10-in-1 Game Cartridge with the following games:
    • Adventure®
    • Combat®
    • Dodge 'Em™
    • Haunted House®
    • Maze Craze™
    • Missile Command®
    • RealSports® Volleyball
    • Surround™
    • Video Pinball™
    • Yars' Revenge®
  • HDMI Cable
  • USB-C Power Cable
  • Serial port connectors compatible with original Atari 2600 hardware.
It has been confirmed that the system will indeed use emulation to play the titles, and Atari has also included a full compatibility list of games that will be compatible with the console, both from the 2600 and 7800 sides, and of course the beloved E.T. The Extra-Terrestial is fully playable with the 2600+ for players to enjoy in full HD. As for the system's hardware specifications, it will be featuring a Rockchip 3128 SOC microprocessor with 256MB DDR3 RAM and 256MB eMMC fixed internal storage. The system itself will be available on November 2023.

The Atari 2600+ is now available for pre-orders with a price of $129.99 USD, and the shipping for the system will begin on November 2023, although the list of retailers for international availability hasn't been added yet.

:arrow: Atari 2600+ Official Website
:arrow: Atari 2600+ Games Compatibility List

An actual release date? Ok so it's not a kickstarter scam!
Post automatically merged:

who in the fuck would pay that for OLD shit? o wait (looks over shoulder at the nintendo fanboys) :creep:
you know what site you're on, right?

Last edited by mopphire,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
who in the fuck would pay that for OLD shit? o wait (looks over shoulder at the nintendo fanboys) :creep:
You joke, but I’d buy retro Nintendo consoles if they decided to start production on em again, or give us a modern one that plays original carts..

adamsef

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just don’t know why!!!
Most TVs are smart and can add blue tooth controllers

Why not just release Atari app with these crap games

If it was Atari lynx I would deffo purchase

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"b-but why is this so expensive???"

Although $129 is a bit steep, it's also fair considering the price of original systems.

I can go on eBay right now and search up 'Atari 2600' and find OG consoles on sale that go from $50 up to $200 and beyond. And with some of those you probably don't know if they even work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto