Atari announces the "Atari 2600+", a re-release of its iconic Atari 2600 with new features

In a surprising take, Atari has announced today the return of its iconic Atari 2600 console released originally in 1977. The console, which sparked a lot of mainstream popularity during the late 70s and early 80s, will be getting an updated version with many new enhancements and modern features for players to enjoy, like HDMI output, widescreen and even with the ability to play physical Atari 2600 and 7800 cartridges right on the console.

According to Atari, the new console will have the following features:
  • Plays both Atari 2600 and 7800 game cartridges
  • HDMI output makes it easy to connect
  • Widescreen mode
  • Enlarged cartridge socket reduces sticking
  • Atari logo lights up when being played
As for what the console will include, Atari has listed the following items which will come alongside the Atari 2600+ console:
  • Atari 2600+ Game System
  • Atari CX40+ Joystick recreated to the same specifications as the original
  • Atari 10-in-1 Game Cartridge with the following games:
    • Adventure®
    • Combat®
    • Dodge 'Em™
    • Haunted House®
    • Maze Craze™
    • Missile Command®
    • RealSports® Volleyball
    • Surround™
    • Video Pinball™
    • Yars' Revenge®
  • HDMI Cable
  • USB-C Power Cable
  • DB9 port connectors compatible with original Atari 2600 hardware.
It has been confirmed that the system will indeed use emulation to play the titles, and Atari has also included a full compatibility list of games that will be compatible with the console, both from the 2600 and 7800 sides, and of course the beloved E.T. The Extra-Terrestial is fully playable with the 2600+ for players to enjoy in full HD. As for the system's hardware specifications, it will be featuring a Rockchip 3128 SOC microprocessor with 256MB DDR3 RAM and 256MB eMMC fixed internal storage. The system itself will be available on November 2023.

The Atari 2600+ is now available for pre-orders with a price of $129.99 USD, and the shipping for the system will begin on November 2023, although the list of retailers for international availability hasn't been added yet.

:arrow: Atari 2600+ Official Website
:arrow: Atari 2600+ Games Compatibility List

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You joke, but I’d buy retro Nintendo consoles if they decided to start production on em again, or give us a modern one that plays original carts..

It's called Analogue.co, and they're fantastic. I have the Super NT and I'm hopeful they will revisit the Famicom/NES soon with a more affordable version (they did the Famicom already but with a custom aluminum shell and very limited production numbers that put the price in stupidland).

Also I don't think the several references in this thread effectively equating "retro" popularity of the Nintendo Famicom/NES to Atari 2600 are realistic at all. Putting aside all legit criticisms of Nintendo in 2023, derision for fanboyism and what-not, there's no denying that the Famicom/NES was a huge leap for what kind of video gaming could be done at home, or that most games on Famicom/NES hold up much better even decades later than anything ever released on the 2600. Except Missile Command of course. That shit was dope.

Reactions: Jacobh and Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It's called Analogue.co, and they're fantastic. I have the Super NT and I'm hopeful they will revisit the Famicom/NES soon with a more affordable version (they did the Famicom already but with a custom aluminum shell and very limited production numbers that put the price in stupidland).

Also I don't think the several references in this thread effectively equating "retro" popularity of the Nintendo Famicom/NES to Atari 2600 are realistic at all. Putting aside all legit criticisms of Nintendo in 2023, derision for fanboyism and what-not, there's no denying that the Famicom/NES was a huge leap for what kind of video gaming could be done at home, or that most games on Famicom/NES hold up much better even decades later than anything ever released on the 2600. Except Missile Command of course. That shit was dope.
If Analogue produced their products en masse and didn't constantly have long waits on "pre-orders" I'd buy their stuff.

Reactions: Hanafuda

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Analogue produced their products en masse and didn't constantly have long waits on "pre-orders" I'd buy their stuff.
Not to mention the costs 😱

I love what they're doing, but those costs are extremely restrictive.

I agree they're a niche producer and don't even seem that interested in mass sales. Just look at the PC Engine machine ("Duo") that they have on preorder now. They had to raise the price compared to the Super NT and Mega SG because they're including a working optical drive. It's a great piece of kit, but the only "flash cart" out there for PC Engine I know of is the Turbo Overdrive PRO from krikzz, which has a built-in CD core making the CD drive unnecessary, but which will not play the CD games on a Duo system or a Core system with CD-rom attached. Looks like a good chance Analogue is shooting themselves in the foot for the sake of making the "ultimate" faithful modern rendition. You're better off buying an old junker PC Engine core for $50 and modding it for RGB out.

Note: I could be wrong about this, but that's how it looks. And there'll probably be a jailbreak for the Duo that makes it all moot.

Reactions: Kioku

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I find it funny how the console box looks kinda similar to a modern Nintendo one.

F4JJ5vTbEAE0644.png

They really want to be like their big brother so bad.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does hell Atari use emulation? Why they don't use real Atari hardware?

It looks like Atari needs return to console business and make latest console to compete with PS5 and Xbox X Series, lol.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Why does hell Atari use emulation? Why they don't use real Atari hardware?
There's really no reason not to use emulation for these simple/primitive consoles. It's cheaper, easier to produce, and likely yields the same results. Exception being the handful of games that simply don't work, but it's literally just a handful of games...

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm about done paying for mini-consoles, unless they switch over to FPGA instead of emulation on ARM chips. (Shitty ARM chips, at that...) I love my Super NT by Analogue; It plays real carts, it plays flash carts, and it even has Super Gameboy support right from the FXPak Pro. But I do believe the Atari can be re-made 1:1 just from off-the-shelf components.

Reactions: skawo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto