Wii U and 3DS online services shutting down today, but Pretendo is here to save the day

opengraph-image-273756581.png

Today, April 8th, 2024, at 4PM PT, marks the day in which Nintendo permanently ends support for both the 3DS and the Wii U online services, which include co-op play, internet rankings and data distribution, according to Nintendo's own news post.

This means that games that heavily rely on online services, like the original Super Mario Maker for Wii U (and 3DS), Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon's online multiplayer, and several other games will effectively stop working, more so for Super Mario Maker since that game is entirely relying on online user-created levels for the gaming experience.

However, all is not lost, as the fan and homebrew community is here to save the day (as is always the case), even in the most dire of events like the closure of all online service for said consoles, with the great community network known as Pretendo.

Pretendo is basically an entirely open source project that aims to replace Nintendo's network for both the 3DS and the Wii U, and even their respective emulators like Citra (or its forks given its recent demise) and Cemu, which will allow all users to interconnect with each other even after the demise of Nintendo's own servers later today, and while their compatibility isn't entirely 100%, they developers behind the Pretendo network are still hard at work developing the service so that more and more games get proper compatibility.

Those interested in trying out the Pretendo network can follow their own installation instructions found at their site, which includes installation guides for both Citra (or its forks) and Cemu, and in the case of the original hardware, the user will require a hacked console, be it a hacked 3DS and/or a hacked Wii U, depending on which console the user has. Just be aware that your current Nintendo ID (and everything that it entices, like friends list and other things) will not be carried over to the Pretendo servers, as Nintendo's servers hold that data, and repurposing the original ID for Pretendo could pose a severe privacy violation, so a new ID will need to be created for usage with Pretendo's servers.

A recommendation for a more detailed look into the Pretendo network is a recently released video by renowned game developer and homebrew enthusiast, Modern Vintage Gamer (MVG), gives takes a deeper dive into it, as well as its current status, usage, game tests and installation of the fanmade network into your own consoles.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Pretendo Network

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
You can doubt it if you want. But I did send screenshots of it actively happening. So at this point, people can believe what they want. I’ve corrected people enough and sent more than enough receipts, more than really should have been necessary. If people want to still believe otherwise, that’s on them as far as I’m concerned. At that point there’s no changing their mind
I should have been more specific, I don't think people in this thread are trying to conspire when they talk about their experience, most of the time when these things are bought up it is always related to one moderator that is still part of the head moderation.

Reactions: PotatoStatic

Khentendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The dudes name is @Khentendo (person who got banned for saying dude)

Apparently later in the thread, turns out dude was just being an asshole and there was more of a reason for him getting banned lol

I'm just now seeing this forum and the situation (and pretty much joining GBATemp) a friend showed me this. I DID explain everything in Twitter though, but I know that some people will still be against me for this reason. One of the head moderators of the Pretendo Server said that my ban was justified because saying "dude" is "intentional misgendering" to a transgender female, also because of their looks, they said. From what I've heard, "dude" is NOT gender specific. Also, I was banned because I was being too defensive when I was thrown into an argument, which was supposed to be a warn, but because it was a FOURTH warn, that's what gets you banned. The rest of the warns were just petty stuff that is NOT related to me being an asshole.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm just now seeing this forum and the situation (and pretty much joining GBATemp) a friend showed me this. I DID explain everything in Twitter though, but I know that some people will still be against me for this reason. One of the head moderators of the Pretendo Server said that my ban was justified because saying "dude" is "intentional misgendering" to a transgender female, also because of their looks, they said. From what I've heard, "dude" is NOT gender specific. Also, I was banned because I was being too defensive when I was thrown into an argument, which was supposed to be a warn, but because it was a FOURTH warn, that's what gets you banned. The rest of the warns were just petty stuff that is NOT related to me being an asshole.
That moderator warn people for the wrong reasons all the time.

Something that happened to me (and you can go on their server right now and see it in the message history): there was a member complaining about other members replying to their message (if you don't know, discord pings the person you are replying by default), I just saw them in the middle of chat repeating the same thing about people not reading their bio before replying to their messages and suggested that if they felt so bothered about reply pings they shouldn't be using Discord at all or at very least change their notification settings, I never pinged that person myself by the way.

That same moderator minutes later started arguing about what I said and at the end decided to warn me out of (apparent) frustration, it wasn't the first nor the last time they did this.

Khentendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That moderator warn people for the wrong reasons all the time.

Something that happened to me (and you can go on their server right now and see it in the message history): there was a member complaining about other members replying to their message (if you don't know, discord pings the person you are replying by default), I just saw them in the middle of chat repeating the same thing about people not reading their bio before replying to their messages and suggested that if they felt so bothered about reply pings they shouldn't be using Discord at all or at very least change their notification settings, I never pinged that person myself by the way.

That same moderator minutes later started arguing about what I said and at the end decided to warn me out of (apparent) frustration, it wasn't the first nor the last time they did this.
Wow dude, I feel sorry for you on this. Yeah some mods just abuse their powers like that and nobody knows.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
i mean banning some saying DUDE is fucked up
I have a gut feeling that’s not the reason. 9/10 when someone makes a claim like that, the real reason was actually ban worthy. I don’t know the story but I think it’s worth looking more into the situation to find out the actual reason. I could be wrong but I have seen this enough to be on the side that I am not wrong

PotatoStatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who is this "we" you're talking for?
The people in this thread making these claims (and the people who believe them). Seems obvious tbh. I've seen far too many stupid asshole powermods around the net that nobody does anything about to just take any janny's word for it. I'm far more inclined to believe the people who were banned.

Reactions: christerator78

Paralel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m not ignoring anything. There’s almost 40,000 people in our Discord server and what? A handful of people are complaining about being banned? And I’ve proven with screenshots that people do lie about the reasons and blow it out of proportion? Yeah, I’m not exactly inclined to believe that everyone is being entirely honest or fair about what happened.

And while mistakes do happen, because everyone is human, when people DO claim to be falsely banned it’s ALWAYS looked into when brought to our attention and if it WAS found to be false, it’s reverted. Also we DO handle staff misusing their power and we DO remove people as we see fit.

Again, have some receipts showing us looking into false ban claims (including one of the people on this very thread), unbanning users, and discussing how to handle reports about a mod we’ve gotten (censored for privacy reasons):

View attachment 431005View attachment 431006View attachment 431008View attachment 431009

I'm glad to be proven that I had the wrong take about Pretendo. It's clear that the system has a robust system of checks and balances, more so than many corporate or professional services offered to the public. Thank you for providing this service, RD, and making sure that it is being handled in a very professional and reasonable manner. Your efforts, and those of your moderation and administrative team, are very much appreciated and this project is a great service to the gaming community. Thank you.

PotatoStatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I am being too harsh. (I mean not really because I'm not even saying it's 100% true. Just when you have this many people saying the same thing about your mod I'm inclined to believe there's at least a little bit of truth to it. Especially with how common this behavior has become online.) If I'm wrong that's OK. I hope your service does well regardless.

Wavy

Splatana Stamper Enjoyer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Try to play Splatoon in Squad, it's impossible, no people.
Regular ranked and Turf are pretty populated FWIW. It'll take time to get people on board with the project so just wait until more people join Pretendo.
Post automatically merged:

If I want to play some splatoon online, does my save data carry over? I'd prefer to keep my records and levels and such.
I don't think so. If your Wii U is modded you can just copy the save from your NN account to your Pretendo account.

(Double post, whoops)

MPS64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: I was unbanned! It was a misunderstanding with the staff, and we're cool now. Hopefully this won't happen again in the future, and I appreciate their cooperation with me in revoking my ban.

Surdo123

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
WiiU 2024 Tiramisu é Aroma
Pretendo Network online 🤔

🤔30_nossl.rpx🤔

Wii U: Download this patch and copy it to your SD card as sd:/wiiu/environments/aroma/modules/setup/30_nossl.rpx. (Replace aroma with tiramisu if you use Tiramisu.)

WiiU Pretendo Network Online

Wii U: Download this patch and copy it to your SD card as sd:/wiiu/environments/aroma/modules/setup/30_nossl.rpx. (Replace aroma with tiramisu if you use Tiramisu.)

30_nossl.rpx ? Yes
Pretendo Network online

Last edited by Surdo123,

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is why i feel "ban shaming" is a useful form of transparency especially in discord channels

example <username>got banned for <offense> is pinged to everyone and perhaps a snippet of public chat (if the offense was viewable in the chatroom) it serves no only as transparency for why they got banned but also as a reminder the offense won't be tolerated and (hopefully) won't be repeated by others (gbatemp itself could maybe do this too)

Reactions: Maximumbeans

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
this is why i feel "ban shaming" is a useful form of transparency especially in discord channels

example <username>got banned for <offense> is pinged to everyone and perhaps a snippet of public chat (if the offense was viewable in the chatroom) it serves no only as transparency for why they got banned but also as a reminder the offense won't be tolerated and (hopefully) won't be repeated by others (gbatemp itself could maybe do this too)
To be honest, I think that can be a bit too far, telling the reason if someone asks or shares is a more moderated approach than just forcing everyone to not talk about it or shaming someone when they get banned, that what most communities do based on common sense.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw dunno if it's aroma itself or the pretendo plugin but i get an error code (plus a red error saying "the SD card can't be written to") i know thats untrue as my pc can write to that same card, and hb app store can write onto the SD on my wiiU in tiramisu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo