Nintendo to shut down online play for all 3DS and Wii U games

sdaadsdas.png

It's the end of an era. Or perhaps the second end to an era. Following on the heels of Nintendo's decision to shut down the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U eShops and delisting all digital games for both platforms, is the announcement that online play for the two systems will also be discontinued. In April 2024, all online functionalities for all 3DS and Wii U titles will no longer work, including SpotPass. The shutdown of online servers for 3DS and Wii U games will happen just about 10 years to the day that Nintendo took down online play for the Nintendo Wii and DS.

In a FAQ regarding the announcement, Nintendo stated that support for Pokemon Bank will continue for now, though the service, "may also end at some point in the future".

In early April 2024, online play and other functionality that uses online communication will end for Nintendo 3DS* and Wii U software. This also includes online co-operative play, internet rankings, and data distribution.

You can find more information about badges for decorating the Nintendo 3DS HOME Menu using Nintendo Badge Arcade here.

We will announce a specific end date and time at a later date.

Please note that if an event occurs that would make it difficult to continue online services for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U software, we may have to discontinue services earlier than planned.

We sincerely thank players for using the online services of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U software over a long period of time and apologize for any inconvenience.

* This includes software exclusive to New Nintendo 3DS.

:arrow: Source

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope i can have some time to play online a bit for the last time before it's too late.. as i can def forget about it, until someone reminds me of in the final week or smthn..

Flaire

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This really wont help them preventing people from modding thier consoles, does the opposite really, especially with homebrew games like CTGP-7 that has its own dedicated servers.

Reactions: BigOnYa

R4ismychildhood

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So it means' the ability to control a 3DS with keyboard using Kit-Kat + Input Redictor within games that disables online function upon entering and have to reconnect [i.e. Pokemon XY & ORAS] will be gone too?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So it means' the ability to control a 3DS with keyboard using Kit-Kat + Input Redictor within games that disables online function upon entering and have to reconnect [i.e. Pokemon XY & ORAS] will be gone too?
Why would that have anything to do with Nintendo's servers?

The Wii and DS closed because of the GameSpy infrastructure that was the one hosting those systems' servers was going down, because the entire company was shutting down entirely.
Where did you hear that..? My understanding is that Glu Mobile wanted more money than Nintendo was willing to pay. And they shut down the rest of Gamespy later in an unrelated move, but presumably things would have gone differently if Nintendo had been willing to pay up.

Edit: I just found out that IGN was actually one of the things to blame for GameSpy demise. They merged with GameSpy and then divided the company in two, sold part of it to a freemium mobile company that then started to screw it up, and by 2014 just shot everything down.
I don't think there was anything really left of the journalism arm of GameSpy by the time Gamespy Technologies got sold off. Not really much of a "dividing of the company" there.

Last edited by Kwyjor,
Reactions: BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto