Nintendo to shut down online play for all 3DS and Wii U games

sdaadsdas.png

It's the end of an era. Or perhaps the second end to an era. Following on the heels of Nintendo's decision to shut down the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U eShops and delisting all digital games for both platforms, is the announcement that online play for the two systems will also be discontinued. In April 2024, all online functionalities for all 3DS and Wii U titles will no longer work, including SpotPass. The shutdown of online servers for 3DS and Wii U games will happen just about 10 years to the day that Nintendo took down online play for the Nintendo Wii and DS.

In a FAQ regarding the announcement, Nintendo stated that support for Pokemon Bank will continue for now, though the service, "may also end at some point in the future".

In early April 2024, online play and other functionality that uses online communication will end for Nintendo 3DS* and Wii U software. This also includes online co-operative play, internet rankings, and data distribution.

You can find more information about badges for decorating the Nintendo 3DS HOME Menu using Nintendo Badge Arcade here.

We will announce a specific end date and time at a later date.

Please note that if an event occurs that would make it difficult to continue online services for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U software, we may have to discontinue services earlier than planned.

We sincerely thank players for using the online services of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U software over a long period of time and apologize for any inconvenience.

* This includes software exclusive to New Nintendo 3DS.

:arrow: Source

HEADBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man I had some good times playing Mario kart and Smash 3DS, it just sucked that no one was online for Dragon Ball Fusions.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man I had some good times playing Mario kart and Smash 3DS, it just sucked that no one was online for Dragon Ball Fusions.
I ought to play DB Fusions sometime. I loved DBZ AotS.

Shame that DBZ AotS and BL never got sequels, such great games!

Leen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
u know that with the discontinue of online line servers the the switch stability will finally reign Supreme over 3ds

• Haha
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Leen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't say I believed that any of them are I just know we all say how stable they are when they get a new patch especially the 3ds since they stopped supporting it

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
So Pokemon Bank won't be available anymore? FS.

Well the mainline Switch pokemon games suck, so I'll leave my pokemon on Ultra Moon indefinitely.

coderNoob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently,
"The only exception is Pokemon Bank, which will still be online. Nintendo also notes that support for it may end in the future as well."

Hope they don't kill this app yet.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Nintendo also notes that support for it may end in the future as well

So, now since Pokémon Bank is confirmed to may end at some point, is this going to be a new generation where new Pokémon games won't contain all of the Pokémon despite TPC themselves making an announcement during the early days of the release of Scarlet/Violet that they have reached a milestone of 1 thousand Pokémon from Gen 1 to Gen 9?

I hope that this isn't the case because by the time Nintendo makes the new console, depending on the specs, it should be at least a bit more powerful than the Switch and that the Pokémon games on there can still be as bad as they are, but at least have all Pokémon.

G25900

Trophies
XP
Country
Once their all in Gen 5 the hard bit is over as you can transfer a box at a time to Pokemon Bank, then mass transfer them all to Home from there. Technically I could just migrate them in PKHeX and skip a lot of manual stuff, however it's speculated the process is not 100% accurate, so as we spent so long obtaining all the legit event's my plan is just to do it all the proper way.

There is some very specific things that can pop up with gen transfer but you can correct it yourself and most people don't consider it an issue as you can just say you did it legit anyway. This is something I experienced when doing my Debut Gen all forms living Dex (All Pokémon and forms caught in the gen they first appeared, so Gen 1 to 3 Female forms are caught in Gen 4).

Legality checkers don't take in to account things like legit transfer restrictions, so you can use it to transfer your Fly HM poke from Gen 3 to 7 and PKHex will say it's fine because that Pokémon can use fly, but you wouldn't actually be able to transfer it with a HM legitimately because the games don't allow that. For you to have a gen 3 poke with Fly you'd have to have deleted the move then taught it again in the destination game.

Most don't consider this an issue as there's really no way to prove you didn't reteach the moves later.

If you want to be able to say everything is truly legit while still using PKHex to move stuff around then you do need to consider all factors that go in to transfering, as opposed to just relying on the legality checker saying it's fine.

Reactions: InsaneNutter

Anonymous1584

Trophies
XP
Country
Lebanon
I get that they can't keep the servers up forever, but it definitely seems a bit early to do that. Especially when compared to their competitors.

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
We knew this would come, and if you think about it it's incredible they had a FREE service that's sometimes better in quality than the switch one.

Thankfully Pretendo has already a name for itself, and if you didn't know @PabloMK7 has a Citra fork with preliminary online support, so it's not too bad on the preservation side...

I hope I get the time to boot mk8 online one last time during Christmas :)

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
We knew this would come, and if you think about it it's incredible they had a FREE service that's sometimes better in quality than the switch one.

Thankfully Pretendo has already a name for itself, and if you didn't know @PabloMK7 has a Citra fork with preliminary online support, so it's not too bad on the preservation side...

I hope I get the time to boot mk8 online one last time during Christmas :)
Citra online was made available today:
https://github.com/citra-emu/citra/wiki/Online-Multiplayer

• Love
Reactions: Valery0p

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently,
"The only exception is Pokemon Bank, which will still be online. Nintendo also notes that support for it may end in the future as well."

Hope they don't kill this app yet.
Hahahaha.

“””May”” end in future.” They know damn fuckin well when they intend to shut it down, and it’ll be a year after this next shutdown at most. I guarantee it.

This one just feels sad, even sadder than the eshop shutting. I know it wasn’t going to last forever, I know the 3DS is over a decade old at this point, but just…I dunno. There’s still such a passionate fan base around these consoles, the 3DS in particular. I have a Switch and enjoy it, but the 3DS going down really is the end of an era. I don’t know if we’ll see a Nintendo try something like it ever again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto