Happy 20th birthday, to the Nintendo 64!

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Chary, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    2801862368_df8fdfdafc_o.jpg

It's March 1, 2017 today, and that means it's been a full twenty years since the Nintendo 64 launched (in Europe and Australia, at least) on March 1, 1997. America, as it tends to, got their hands on the console five months prior, in September 1996, so perhaps a celebration is a bit overdue at this point, but I digress. Originally retailing for £250 in the UK, which, going off of a few inflation calculators, £250 translates to around £410 in today's money. That's around £100 more than what the Switch will cost when it launches! In terms of games, the N64 launched with a whopping five titles, such as Pilotwings 64, FIFA Soccer 64, Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire, Wayne Gretzky's Hockey, and finally, the ever-lovable flagship title, Super Mario 64.

It was a console created to compete with in the fifth generation of gaming, although it was a bit late to the party, coming out two years after the PlayStation and Saturn. The N64 was Nintendo's first foray into the fledgling market of 64-bit games, moving from pixels and sprites to polygons and large, open worlds. Super Mario 64 would revolutionize the platforming genre, and become such a classic, that it still impacts platforming games to this day. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time would release nearly two years later, on December 11, 1998, and would further innovate gaming, as it brought the Zelda series to 3D for the first time, as well. Third-party company Rare would continue their partnership with Nintendo, and go on to create well-remembered games such as GoldenEye 007, Killer Instinct, Diddy Kong Racing, and what is probably their most beloved N64 release, Banjo-Kazooie.

Nintendo would also release a litany of other standout titles, like Pokemon Stadium, which would showcase player's favorite Pokemon in more than just black-and-white pixels. There was F-Zero X, which would become one of the N64's only 60fps titles, reportedly becoming the first 3D racing game to run at such a smooth speed. Mario Sports titles would also find their beginnings here, with Golf and Tennis making their debuts. Paper Mario continued Super Mario RPG's turn-based legacy, offering a sprawling adventure across the Mushroom Kingdom. Super Smash Bros. would become an expected success, creating a party brawler who's sequel is still rabidly played to this day. Everyone's favorite love-to-hate, rage-quit ridden, joystick breaking game, Mario Party also had it's roots on the N64. Multiplatform games like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Rayman 2, Resident Evil 2, and more, also found success on Nintendo's at-the-time current home console. Nintendo franchises like Yoshi, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Star Fox all thrived as well, with their releases on the N64 being some of the best in Nintendo history. It wasn't all success, though. Mother 3, Fire Emblem 64, and other third party projects would find themselves cancelled, or moved to other platforms, as companies parted ways with Nintendo, such as Square Enix and Final Fantasy.

Fireemblem6beta01.jpg manor.jpg oriental-blue-nintendo-64dd-cancelled.jpg

When all was said and done, the Nintendo 64 sold just a tick under 33 million units. Many loved the console, and many found the lack of certain titles enough to jump ship and join the Sony side of things. So, what's your opinion on the N64? Any cherished memories of the console that you fondly remember? Or do you view the N64 a bit more cynically? Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Last edited by Chary, Mar 1, 2017

2. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    lol, i played on N64 just one time in my life XD

3. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    the n64 was great, probably my favorite nintendo console second only to the GameCube

Darkyose likes this.
  4. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    before buying I thought Nintendo was stupid creating this weird controller but actually the N64 became my Favorite !
    When the GameCube was released I got it and was completely into it as well ... after those two great consoles Nintendo never failed to not fail XD (except for the handheld)

Chary likes this.
  5. mbcrazed

mbcrazed GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    China
    GBATemp
    I've kept my N64 with me for nearly 16 years now! Can't believe it's 20 today! Happy Birthday Nintendo 64!:toot:

Darkyose and Chary like this.
  6. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Master of cookies ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    No it can't be true, i'm not that old xD

Ricken, jamezfat, Madridi and 3 others like this.
  7. Darkyose

Darkyose Mysterious

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Home Alone Somewhere.
    N64 is awesome! I still have one at home. I really like to play it. Specially Mario Kart 64. I still have Majora's Mask Gold edition.

Alkéryn and Chary like this.
  8. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    congratz dud, youre getting old XD

jamezfat, MrJason005 and Alkéryn like this.
  9. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I don't like this aging thing. I got my N64 at launch and I still have that very same N64.

Erikku, digipimp75, VatoLoco and 3 others like this.
  10. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    HOLYFUCK
    O.O

11. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    For reference, the SNES was launched in the US on August 23, 1991. I was born August 9, 1991.
    I have officially been alive longer than the SNES has been in the US...btw I still own my very first SNES that I got when when I was 4.

12. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Why the fuck are pretty much all of my consoles as old or older than me lul

Darkyose likes this.
  13. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    LOL
    this is cool, i will try to keep my 3DS alive for 20 years too XD

14. Darkyose

Darkyose Mysterious

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Home Alone Somewhere.
    I still remember when I made my mom and grandma play N64 with me, lol. It was a great part of childhood. (I was a really dumb kid back then...)

BlueFox gui and Alkéryn like this.
  15. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    I still have my original snes (with my name scrawled on it in felt tip pen) but not my original n64 :huh:.......I think it was the felt tip that protected it all these years

gnmmarechal likes this.
  16. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    I need a childhood like this.

17. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    What about the Wii? It was extremely successful.

Darkyose likes this.
  18. Darkyose

Darkyose Mysterious

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Home Alone Somewhere.
    Weird how the Switch will release 2 days after the N64 anniversary.

19. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    [​IMG]

Darkyose and Alkéryn like this.
  20. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    me and N64 are the same. you need to blow for it to work right. :tpi: