When does your personal mental cutoff for "old games" begin? Do you have an end date as well?

tempy_thinker.png

"old consoles like the N64" and "my parents used to play Resident Evil" are but two examples of phrases that have made me think "wow I am old" when doing the rounds of the forums over the years. In my case I had been playing games for a long time before the predecessors of the consoles in question were even industry rumours. This often leads to people maybe knowing about games from "back then" (wherever that may be) but seldom having lived it and lumping/blurring all things before then together in their heads, despite the massive changes that any would be student of the art in question will tell you about. If games are hard to conceptualise this for then maybe think what you think of as old music, or old films, and then consider that you can likely find hours of long form documentaries detailing the importance of maybe 5 years (or just one band) wherein something like jazz and blues formed, or rock and roll, punk, metal (and divisions thereof), hip hop and more besides. Coincidentally 5 years is also about the average length of a console generation. Modern historians of any field will also consider living memory as part of their work, and while they tends to refer the world as a whole there are offshoots.

On the flip side I have met the opposite side of things where people might not have fallen out of gaming, but fallen out of current gaming. Now my misgivings with the current generation of consoles formed the basis of a previous entry in this series but it does also mean that while I was very current with the xbox 360 and DS (often writing up and discussing new releases as they dropped) I am rather less familiar with the order of releases (or indeed no releases worth considering) for the PS4, xbone, 3ds and beyond. Now I contend that is for good reason and that things today are plenty recognisable but don't do it that well, probably by virtue of bad monetisation schemes, but the effects are still the same. I have seen others that fell out during the PS2, but still retain a seemingly encyclopaedic knowledge of 8 and 16 bit consoles, even the more obscure ones. Do you have something similar, or maybe just a gap somewhere?

Assuming you are not old enough to remember the first game (and are also willing to forgo the electromechanical debate) then when do your memories of games start, and when do they start to be fairly crystallised with respect to time (this came after that, this led to that, this paved the way for...)? One also wonders how it might play out as not everybody got gaming magazines or TV shows, or possibly cared about such things, and thus while technical release dates are one thing if you never got it before the next year (or maybe if you are in a PAL region you might only just be getting it).

In my case in addition to the lack of current stuff above then the commodore 64 is probably fairly in order, and while I played many things on a bbc micro, vic20 and whatever else (I was doing retro before it was cool, mainly because it was cheap and things still played well enough) they are all "old games" in my head. The NES I can do reasonably well but it would be the 16 bit era before I can recount releases. PS1 on through the 360 is all very clear. Being very much PAL bound before the N64 (and even then that was but a handful of games with an adapter) it will also be very PAL, or indeed UK, centric. Some of this is likely also changed or informed by my tendency to go for second hand games when they get cheaper, or indeed after consoles have died and we are onto the next.

Or to finish the "wow I am old thing" then if you are 18 today it is quite possible your hand me down console you got at say 5 or 6 (so 2006, the xbox 360 having already been released and seeing the release of the Wii and PS3) was a PS2 and everything before that might be expected to be from the before times. If you were from a richer family, or just starting out, said 18 year old might well have started with a PS3, 360 or Wii.

This is part of a discussion series wherein we contemplate things about games, be it concepts, individual games, the industry at large, mechanics or the gaming culture at large. Previously we discussed games and media franchises you know mostly from offbeat and forgotten sources.

ElonStark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My gaming memories start with the 2nd generation consoles (Atari 2600 etc). We owned a TI-99 "computer" which is technically not a gaming console but really was for all intents and purposes. But I think gaming culture didn't really take off until the third generation (NES), so I consider anything before that gaming prehistory.

axiomjunglist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use "timeless" and "classic" for classifying games, books, TV shows, movies, music, etc. Old just sounds sad, lol.

To fall in the "timeless" camp requires losing myself in the experience whether it's for the first time or many times after. I've played the original Castlevania for example since it came out and it still feels fresh and exciting every time I play. Even older games picked up for the first time later in life can feel this way. I didn't play Castlevania Symphony of the Night or FF7 until 2008 and was hooked from the first play and still can pick it up either at any point today and get fully into it.

With "classic", I can appreciate how much effort went into it at the time it was released but it feels dated by today's standards and harder to play. Games like Adventure for Atari 2600, the original Final Fantasy, and even Super Mario 64 land here. They're not bad games by definition, and in fact I played them all many times ages ago. I just can't anymore, but I can respect them for what they did for advancing the industry.

Reactions: gurgleburble

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me old games are psx and below basically. Old to the point where I probably wouldn't play them is nes and below

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont really have a cut off date. I have multiples of my consoles encase of failure. I got more controllers then ill ever use. i have multiple crt tvs. and the use of flash carts saves the cart/console wear and tear. got most of the roms. When ever i feel like playing anything im good to go. Took 20+ years to get where iam now.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Retro - two generations from current. So DS/DSi/Wii would be the start of retro for me.
Vintage Retro - starting 20 years (a generation) before now, wherever that leads you. That would be Gameboy Color to NES-ish.
Antique Retro - Any console or its games released before 1980. Atari 2600 and anything before it.

These guidelines were just made up on the spot by me. They just "sound right". Others probably will disagree.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first console was an Atari 2600, and aside from that I only played PC games until I got a SNES when I turned 12.

I might play a few Atari games every now and then for nostalgia's sake, my favorites were River Raid, Pitfall, Mario Bros., and Galaga, but none of the Atari games really hold my attention for more than 5 minutes now.

Similarly most NES games won't hold my attention for that much longer. And a lot of the ones that do have had enhanced ports made on other consoles (Final Fantasy series, Super Mario Bros.)

But SNES games and up I can honestly say I still enjoy. I will still sit down and spend hours playing Yoshi's Island, which is my favorite game ever. Kirby's Super Star was good too. The Donkey Kong games were awesome, and let's not forget the infamous Lion King.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hard to define, but anything from before I was born does feel old to me. Maybe not the best of standards, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jaykureno

Trophies
XP
Country
I am 19 years old but since my dad used to be a gamer we had both a N64 and a PS1 at home. The PS2 and gamecube were what I'd consider my first two consoles though and I have stuck with nintendo and sony in the console space ever since even after moving over to primarily PC gaming around 2013

Justeego

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My parents never wanted to buy a console (when you try so hard to avoid something it goes for the worst), I played on PS1 1, only one friend of mine had NES, the console that marked my generation is PS2 and Gameboy, I played mainly on pc and then I got my GBA

warweeny

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I started gaming with the n64/ps1 and onwards from there.
I was 8 years old i think when i played with the n64.
When i think back, anything before ps3 is a "classic" console/game period.

When i think about in terms of games and when graphics are just not "bearable" to me is probably the original nintendo, but some games can still be played (think of games like megaman). Snes graphics are perfectly serviceable, but when a modern games copies the graphics of an N64 i cannot tolerate that, neither does the ps2/psp kind of games if not done correctly. Some ps2/psp games like valkyrie profile silmeria and final fantasy crisis core still look fantastic in my eyes, so it is not that the console is not capable of making good graphics from that time era. Usually MMORPG's and mobile games on a budget with 3D graphics resemble the "ps2 era" style graphics, but lack the graphical fidelity of some ps2/psp games and are just not really nice to watch at.

When people tell me they lived in the atari time online, i see them as 50+ year old people, but if i see someone mentioning a ps3 or 360 game as a classic game console, i feel old and i think the person in question is like 12 lol.

I do not really have a starting date or end date when it comes to "classic" - i think the ps1/n64 is classic in a sense that it is a time period i started playing, but anything before the nes/snes is retro in my eyes because i have not experienced the gaming era of said console.

Reactions: gurgleburble

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I grew up with SNES, GB(C) and N64 so anything before that doesn't interest me much. Including NES, which I find to be a bit basic as far as audio capabilities go. SNES and GB(C) chiptunes just sound awesome, and good music is one of the most important things for me in games.
I'm not sure if I played SNES, GB(C) or N64 first, my mom used to rent a SNES sometimes, I didn't get one of my own until much later, but I'm not sure when she first rented one. I'm pretty sure I got a N64 before the SNES, though I enjoyed both equally. SNES was the peak of the 2D era for me, there are so many great games on that, that look and sound great even today.

skydancer93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cut off retro gaming at the Genesis and Super Nintendo as those came to an end in 1998 in the States. Console wise, I end with the 32X.

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont understand the question but i will say i never played anything before NES and also i stopped being "CURRENT GAMER" on the Wii U, i got stuck there and i dont play anything current because i have to many games to finish on Wii U and i refuse to move to the next gen until i finish my games. I only played RE7 on Xbox One... and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and its DLC on Switch that's all for this current gen for me.

Reactions: Draxikor

m_babble

Elder Phantom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had most of em when I was a kid.
Atari 2600/5200/7800, Coleco, Intellivision, Odyssey, pong & light gun-specific systems, C64, Vic 20.
So yeah I'm up to speed with everything since then, more or less.
Some of the more obscure systems in the 90s I didn't get to play, but was aware of and have emulated.

Reactions: zoogie

Kadji

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I differentiate between "classics" and "old".
"classic" is for me everything that I connect with my childhood memories which I did not have to buy myself.
My gaming career has been very long. I started with a C64 -> Gameboy -> Gamegear -> NES / Master System 2 -> Amiga 500 -> GBC -> PSX -> My own Windows 98 PC :D
My friends had the missing consoles: SNES, Mega Drive, N64
So for me everything up to the PSX is "classic" (or maybe Retro if you like that term more).

Starting with the PS2/GBA I bought consoles with my own money. Those are the "old" consoles of my teenager years. PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast, GBA...not quite classic/retro but definitely old.

The rest is easy: PS3 / Xbox 360 is "last gen", PS4 / Xbox One is "current gen", whatever comes next is "next gen".

Nintendo does not work with the usual "generation" cycles anymore. They have their userbase of loyal fans and push out a new console whenever they feel like it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...