1. SexySpai

SexySpai Meme Expert and Extraordinaire

United States
    Anything between NES and PS1 is considered retro to me

2. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Brazil
    should i be old enough to respond to this?
    to be honest idk what i would consider old enough, i remember i would go to those places (i really don't know how to call this in english) where you pay to play for 1 hour or 2 in a console and most of those places only had PS2 because it was more accessible, and while people were playing games like god of war or gta sa, i would mostly there to see if i could find those sega collection things just to play sonic or virtua fighter, and even that when i found atari emulator i really wanted to play asteroids, and i did and people were like "wtf are you playing?" and i was just YE YE DIE FUKKIN ROCC, the thing is, for me nothing is old enough, you just need to have fun with it, when i got atari emulator with a bunch of roms i keep testing all of them, i had fun with some and others were boring, so ye, i think it's about what i enjoy, it doesn't metter if it's old or new

3. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    My cutoff begins when they are unavailable for purchase, though the online stores helped mitigate the issue.

Mainly, I consider console games as an aging form. The console reaches the end of it's lifecycle, the games stop being sold in physical form, and online vendor stores stop selling them, moving on to the next system.

Like the XBOX, Wii, etc...

4. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

Chile
    wii game are still being sold though. remember just dance? 2020 came out on wii too.

5. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    I'v never seen it, actually. And I mostly meant the online stores.

6. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Old games for me would be PS2 and back, new would be PS3 and up... this will change of course in the future. PS3 is almost in the old category right now... I guess for me it's 2 gens back is old.

Flame likes this.
  7. Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy GBAtemp Regular

I just wonder if any of these 'young uns' that said things like 'my parents used to play that' and the likes as mentioned in the op.... Were they wearing a Led Zepplin t shirt or similar at the time?? :rofl2:

Why is old gaming any different to old music or movies? If somethings good... Its good forever imo and those whipper snappers should remember without the old shit.... They wouldn't have they're new shit!!

I still play c64 games for the nostalgia factor alone!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Draxikor and MarkDarkness like this.
  8. AlexMCS

AlexMCS Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    When it gets no more new games, it's old.
    So, PS2, PSP, DS and everything before them are old systems.

9. jDSX

jDSX GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Anything pre NES era is considered old for me

10. DAZA

DAZA Shaun's Mum

I can go far back as the second generation... atari 2600.. it was a basic but classic start to an eye opening evolution of consoles and games from that point on.

its one big thing i always appreciate being part of and remembering what i used to play from that moment onwards showing real progress along the way and the joy games have given me over the years.. pure nostalgia of talking with friends, swapping games after school and constantly replaying them no matter how many times you completed it!

always respect what was and look forward to what will be.. for that is our continued adventures

YukidaruPunch likes this.
  11. alexenochs

alexenochs GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i personally have somewhat a weird take on this I imagine the console as if it had aged like a human and once it hits the 21 year mark its retro ofcourse I can still look back on games and stuff that aren't yet 21 years old and think to myself that its old but not retro my reasoning for this age decision is because it seems like when you hit your 20s that's when you start to become nostalgic and think..oh hey I have a job I can rebuy my childhood games and play them its when you begin to want to relive the past in your mind..that a game seems to be retro so for me..roughly 21 years or older so in a year or 2 the xbox ps2 and gamecube will fit that bill

gurgleburble likes this.
  12. YukidaruPunch

YukidaruPunch GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I consider games previous to the NES era to be old. I started playing with the Mega Drive so the 16-bit generation might be where I'm most confortable. I'm not that crazy about the NES and Master System, to be honest, but I do recognize there are some gems. Games from the mid 80's have a specific kind of charm, but I tend to like more how arcade games looked and felt back at that era - stuff from Capcom and Sega can feel pretty great. Playing an Atari 2600 game to me feels too simplistic, perhaps due to my lack of knowledge, and playing an early 1980's game - say, the first Donkey Kong - can feel a bit "off", if still an interesting relic.

I rarely have much interest in new games save for a very specific indie release or a game from a company I like. I tend to have much more interest in a said generation as their games start to age, and because of that, I usually only buy a gaming system once it's on its last legs. I bought a PS2 in 2007, a Wii U in 2017 and a 3DS in 2019. Due to my bigger interest in emulation and older games than cutting-edge technology, I have no intent on buying a new game system anytime soon.

gurgleburble likes this.
  13. Kikirini

Kikirini Zelda Fangirl

United States
    I grew up on the NES and onward, so those gens are fine for me. Before that, they're a little simplistic for me. (Plus, there's a reason the industry crashed before the NES...)
    But heck, I'm 30, I can freely admit I'm old. :rofl:

14. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Former electronics department employee Gang Rise Up!

15. paulttt

paulttt GBAtemp Regular

I started on the nes, then transitioned to the snes. I then regressed to the spectrum and the BBC micro.

I was told that I played too many video games by my parents, and they wanted to give me something more educational. Little did they know I could play Popeye on the micro (sorry mum).

Rahkeesh likes this.
  16. jumpman17

jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
    Former Staff

United States
    I don't know what I'd consider old games. I grew up around the time of the NES, but I never had that. I instead grew up with my dad's Commodore 64, Vic 20, and Magnavox Odyssey 2. So even things from before I was born I don't know if I'd consider "old games" to me. Do they feel old compared to modern games? Yeah, but I still remember details about so many of the games I played back then, so they don't "feel" old.

17. jurassicplayer

jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Anything before the current gen is old fogey territory. If it's not in the now, it's a distant memory. As soon as the new console drops, the old one should be dropped, just like the XBox....whatever was before Series X.

18. Seliph

Seliph Professional Orphan

United States
    I'd honestly call anything before and including the Wii/Xbox 360/PS3 era old. I personally grew up with the Gamecube, but it's hard for me to consider any games before a time where most games have some sort of online functionality as anything but old.

19. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

Poland
    I unfortunately cannot really enjoy most NES games, even though I really want to at times. Starting with the SNES it was just such a quality improvement for the better... that is my basis, and one I go back to often.

Silent_Gunner and banjo2 like this.
  20. Feffe

Feffe GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    For me, it's two gens before the current one.

So during the PS5 generation, PS3 games will be "old". During the PS3 generation, PS1 games were "old".

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Silent_Gunner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - personal, mental, cutoff