Has VR and 3D failed again?

tempy_thinker.png

So I was searching for a replacement touchscreen for a client's laptop and recalled that I had similarly not seen much from 3d displays or virtual reality companies of late. No new hardware, no games that percolated up into the public awareness (Resident Evil 7 was nearly two years ago at this point, stereoscopic games were never amazingly popular but seemed to fall off a cliff after 2012), no real buzz in any conventions or events, if I look today there are still some gaming focused vendors that list VR fairly prominently but I have to go out of my way to find 3d screens and films and so forth. Both of those technologies have been seen as fads in the past; things that rise up, only for the market, current technology or something similar to smack them back down. In this case 2012 saw a massively successful crowdfunding effort for the Oculus Rift, a couple of years later Facebook of all people purchased the company for some 2 billion, a month or two back though the second iteration of the device was cancelled, and nobody mentioned whatever the big tech company equivalent of creative differences is which leads one to wonder if it is more that it is not seen as a viable project any more. Throughout it all many other big tech firms released hardware and attached industry luminaries to it and have similarly gone somewhat quiet.

Ordinarily for a thread like this we might have a look at possible stats and some reasoning for things, however a discussion of the mindshare the likes of virtual reality and 3d displays occupy at present is what we shall seek to find and contemplate here.

While reasons are not going to be delved too deeply into did the rush to include DRM and proprietary connectors/software/features cause you concern? Did any content find itself massively improved by it? Did you invest into any VR or 3d setups, only for them to gather dust? Did you get the motion sickness some experience or were you spared that (or selectively spared that)? There are all sorts of cool things (6:45 if you want to skip) researchers are doing so is such tech likely to remain that? Is it just that it was an expensive peripheral that not everybody had? If it has failed again do you expect to see it back sooner than the usual 20 year cycle as tech just needs to get that little bit better?

This is part of series on GBAtemp where we have some discussion of aspects of the game industry, game design and related topics. Previously we discussed the last game skill you unlearned.

You are then invited to talk some about the current state of VR as well as stereoscopic 3d in games.

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Id like to try VR like playstation one or Vive at least once heh, that Star Trek captain game looks like what I’ve been dreaming of since 80s. Sometimes I really wish I wasn’t this piss poor lad -.-

Baoulettes

The lonely man
Trophies
Website
www.baoulettes.fr
XP
Country
France
I actually own Oculus and it does not get that dust issues.
I do not play that much with VR but I watch with it.
You can watch 3D movie on it and trust that so amazing.
Also yeah I own some game and unity test on it and really I hope soon or later more people will own it to be able to share things in vr exclusive :)
What I want for VR now would be maybe VR website (yeah sound stupid but just imagine it like a museum ? you walk in room with website content. I would love a GBA Temp maze !)
And VR in 3Ds max would be neat imagine having possibility to view viewport as fullscreen on VR headset and preview your model there (I know software exist to show model in the headset but that no 3ds max and it's shader and it require exporting etc)
I do not think VR will be for Gaming use only.

Reactions: sup3rgh0st

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think VR is still in its infancy. I see it catching on fully 10 years from now and not any sooner. The VR scene isn't becoming bigger like most people thought it would but instead it's shrinking again. That is not a good thing at all

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Id like to try VR like playstation one or Vive at least once heh, that Star Trek captain game looks like what I’ve been dreaming of since 80s. Sometimes I really wish I wasn’t this piss poor lad -.-

Have a look around to see if there are any "gaming bars" or similar near you. Such places will often have a setup there you can rent for a while, possibly even the really fancy stuff. Rent an hour or so at one and you can say you have. I have seen them in lots of places in the UK, and a few options in Washington state a few months back (did not travel far this last time so no idea about "nowhere, middle of" somewhere in the "does not touch water or Canada" places).

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say it's right on time--Virtual Boy to 3DS took awhile, but it happened.

This VR/3-D is in prep for Ready Player One: The movie: The game: The moviegame.

Comparable: "Video killed the radio star."......tell Sirius.

Reactions: Zense

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Astro Bot Rescue Mission is my GOTY 2018 and simply one of the most enjoyable and fun games I've ever played.

Sure, RDR2 and GOW are masterpiece games but Astro Bot is just pure fun and joy. Every level offered a new experience and left me wanting more.

It's been called VR's Mario 64 and I couldn't agree more. It harks back to the hay day of 3D platformers whilst also feeling like a game from the future. Even the excellent soundtrack brings back David Wise vibes with tunes that have stuck in my head.

I'd write a review on it if I had the time.

There are a couple other top notch VR games that I'd consider great (Super hot, Moss, Resident evil) and though I don't think VR has hit it's stride and will probably take another generation or two to be perfected; I certainly don't regret purchasing mine.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Half a year ago I was also under the impression that VR was slowly fading away, however lately I've seen many uses for it outside of gaming (like how clothes shops use it to let you try on clothes). On a different note Ikea seems to be embracing AR for their shopping apps.

I also hear a lot of non-gamers talk about it and tell me about different uses for it that I didn't know about, so I guess my impression has changed to it still being in an early stage of gaining popularity. However, I personally haven't tried it and I'm not closely following development done in its scene.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember around 2012 I was visiting my cousin who is pretty well off lets just say lol. He had 2 or 3 3D capable TVs around his house. As well as a member of the IT team at the university I attended. Now? 3D is nowhere to be found, save the 3DS. Which even the 3DS fails to deliver games that actually take advantage of the 3D functionality. Now this is where I kinda get weird. I don't really care about 3D TVs but when it comes to 3DS games, I love keeping that slider all the way up. We all know that the 3DS screens have a misnomer of a 800 x 240 resolution that is really highlighted when playing games with the 3D off. Games look pretty bad without any 3D effects and I would consider the argument that they look bad either way.

VR has always felt like a fad to me. And it keeps coming back, but still never able to really hook its claws into anyone for long. I seem to remember hearing that Sony isn't done with VR and I feel like we are going to see the PS5 launch with some sort of ambitious push to get people into VR... again.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Also yeah I own some game and unity test on it and really I hope soon or later more people will own it to be able to share things in vr exclusive :)
What I want for VR now would be maybe VR website (yeah sound stupid but just imagine it like a museum ? you walk in room with website

This doesn't strike me as a productive use of VR. Websites are information tools first and foremost. Abstracting it out into 3D world that you have to walk around and locate things as opposed to just scrolling down a list of topics is counter-productive to the design goal.

I haven't personally tried VR, but when playing my Switch I do miss the 3D effect from the 3DS - everything looks so flat without it!From browsing these forums, though, it seems like I'm in a minority, considering all the comments along the lines of "who ever even uses the 3D feature these days anyway?" etc

proffk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
3D was ok for 2 minutes then it gets boring. VR is good for gaming if manufacturers fix the problems with it. PSVR seems to have too much shovelware or limited uses in mainstream games.The problem with the camera & motion has put me off.Not to mention the amount of wires to mess about with. Alot of games are online & not physical.

Last edited by proffk,
Reactions: KiiWii

Baoulettes

The lonely man
Trophies
Website
www.baoulettes.fr
XP
Country
France
This doesn't strike me as a productive use of VR. Websites are information tools first and foremost. Abstracting it out into 3D world that you have to walk around and locate things as opposed to just scrolling down a list of topics is counter-productive to the design goal.

I haven't personally tried VR, but when playing my Switch I do miss the 3D effect from the 3DS - everything looks so flat without it!From browsing these forums, though, it seems like I'm in a minority, considering all the comments along the lines of "who ever even uses the 3D feature these days anyway?" etc

I do not mean all website and not important ones, just some are made to give ''one time'' or ''static'' content this would make it a bit ''playable''
As well as gallery website where they show off things I think it could turn out to be nice museum, is this userful probably not as it required hardware but that would be fun.

But totally agree with you that would be against information at first glance.

a lot of space and a lot of messing about with the camera.
Actually about space I just own a tiny 2.5x2.5m and it work flawless (just make a proper guardian :))
About camera that hard to understand them how to properly place it but once you get how it work you can move your setup and re-setup it in like 10 minutes (Excluding the demo to test the setup just to place and make guardian system)?

Reactions: thorasgar

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The issue with VR is, that it requires a lot of physical space to play them. Now, with us millenials drowning in debt, most probably don't have the space to actually play it.

Not all millennials are drowning in debt and not everyone from the older generations has a huge mansion. That is and always has been about where you choose to work, live and spend your money on (or inherit money if you're lucky).

I'd probably argue that if you are that seriously in debt then you don't have enough money for a VR headset, or enough time to play them.

Last edited by smf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1