Homebrew What happened with AuroraWright's OTPless install?.

D

Deleted User

There were unkown random bricks that got reported on version 3's otpless that I beleave was sead to happen during a update,so on version 4 the file needed for otpless got patched out to prevent it from happening.What happens is the old 3ds uninstalls a9lh after the update while the new3ds bricks completely,the old3ds issue however could of been a gateway problem.

Last edited by ,

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
A lot of the bricks happened during the actual a9lh installation part. It takes less than 1 sec, and gives you an error if there are any missing or wrong files, thus why it is called *SAFE*a9lhinstaller. There is no possible way someone could screw this up without throwing their 3DS into a wall.
...which is why I said
Not false in that exact case here
Indeed here it's more complicated to find a way to fail so I wouldn't say "user error" without thinking

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not false in that exact case here, but on the other hand, some people do stuff you never thought about and they never thought about it dangerously, such as closing the lid on a New 3DS on 2.1 even though the 2.1 wasn't supposed to support the New 3DS in the first place, or closing it during a downgrade to save battery while the console is working, this kind of stuff. Indeed here it's more complicated to find a way to fail so I wouldn't say "user error" without thinking but we never know what people can come up with these days.
Oh, trust me, I understand in general that user error is the leading cause of something going wrong. But there really isn't much of a chance of user error in this case. The install is quick enough that you can't interrupt it by doing something stupid, there aren't really any competing sets of files that can cause issue (and the installer makes sure everything is in the right place), etc.

It's not like the 9.2 downgrade, especially before hash checks were put in place, where people could get corrupt files or the wrong region files, or didn't have the system plugged in/enough battery, or put the system into sleep mode. It's not like the 2.1 downgrade back when it was a complicated dance of formatting an EmuNAND, downgrading to 2.1 with the correct files, unbricking it on N3DS, blindly flashing that to sysNAND because there was no possible way to check to see if the downgrade was fully successful - where there were any number of ways that the user could fuck everything up by not paying attention.

OTPless is a simple process to the user that is hard to fuck up. Grab the files, launch the software, press Select. It just annoys me that some people are so adamant that it has to be user error without stopping to think.

Actually it does. It is a software implementation of the hardware otp method mentioned in the intro of the guide.
Then why doesn't it dump it to sd:/a9lh/otp.bin like the normal method? Not doubting you, I don't know the technical details of it.

Last edited by Cuphat,
Reactions: seijinshu

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
"the first one"
definitely not the first one.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

one of the other things is reading code, apparently :)
Okay.

I just thought he was because of the original thread where UNSafeA9LHInstaller developed.

Also. Hi! I'm a big fan of yours. I like your avatar a lot. (Also, no sarcasm here, trust me).

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Actually it does. It is a software implementation of the hardware otp method mentioned in the intro of the guide.
it doesn't. you can only get the OTP hash, not the OTP itself.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There were unkown random bricks that got reported on version 3's otpless that I beleave was sead to happen during a update,so on version 4 the file needed for otpless got patched out to prevent it from happening.What happens is the old 3ds uninstalls a9lh after the update while the new3ds bricks completely,the old3ds issue however could of been a gateway problem.
lol wtf are you saying

Reactions: raulpica

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country

Nope, it gets the OTP's hash. Not the OTP.
The hash of the OTP is the only thing you need to do to generate an a9lh keysector, though.

Weren't the bricks caused by unchecked cache storage that just needed to be flushed?

Seems so. Kind of hilarious in hindsight that something like invalid cache is the reason these bricks happened, though perhaps it's not so funny for the victims.

Last edited by metroid maniac,

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, it gets the OTP's hash. Not the OTP.
The hash of the OTP is the only thing you need to do to generate an a9lh keysector, though.

Seems so. Kind of hilarious in hindsight that something like invalid cache is the reason these bricks happened, though perhaps it's not so funny for the victims.
That was what I was getting at. OTP hash. My first post was edited a few hours back correcting myself.

D

Deleted User

Last edited by ,

JCCG1989

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you're beign at the day at least on thios forum you will see an sligh rise of bricks using the CTRTRANSFER method, why? Because more people is using it, exactly the same what happened to OTPless.

D

Deleted User

If you're beign at the day at least on thios forum you will see an sligh rise of bricks using the CTRTRANSFER method, why? Because more people is using it, exactly the same what happened to OTPless.
Are you being paranoid? Or do you have actual proof someone got bricked during a ctrtransfer.

JCCG1989

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Are you being paranoid? Or do you have actual proof someone got bricked during a ctrtransfer.
Not DURING CTRTRANSFER specifically but counting the overall method, check the new posts... and that why? because is the only method, its the natural behavior of any analysis.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Not DURING CTRTRANSFER specifically but counting the overall method, check the new posts... and that why? because is the only method, its the natural behavior of any analysis.
People brick because they go sleep mode in N3DS while on 2.1.

People brick because they try to update via System Settings a N3DS while on 2.1.

People brick because they get fake/bad cards and don't check them before the whole process.

People brick because their own fault.

It's been proven more secure than the OTPLess installs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjocrCuXN-w