Homebrew What happened with AuroraWright's OTPless install?.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Somebody with a hardmod could find the solution. It's easy, make a 9.2 NAND backup before the otpless installation and a 9.2 backup after installation. Restore the previous backup after a successful install, until you do the process enough times to brick, then dump the bricked NAND backup with a hardmod and compare the differences to see what is causing the problem.
I checked the bricked nand dump after a few days of otpless being out with one of the first bricks and reported my findings, but others have already explained in detail the process but essentially otpless purposefully "bricks" the 3ds for a split second, the system resets and magic happens and the system now has a9lh, the problem is when this reset doesn't occur correctly, in this failed state the system remains in its bricked state as the keys are screwed up with no way short of a hard mod of fixing them

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I think the fact that otpless was causing random bricks is why it was removed from the guide. Think about it for a second.
If this was truly human error, then it wouldn't have been removed from the guide for causeing so many bricks. It takes more then 3 people complaining "I bricked" to completely remove a section

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't the solution to the random wrong OTP obvious?

1)get OTP
2)Verify OTP by using it to decrypt nand/keys/whatever OTP is used for
3)If it passes the verification, then use it to install a9lh. If not, show error and ask to run program again...

maybe I'm oversimplifying it a bit, but it's not by any means impossible.
OTPless installs can't get the OTP. If they could, it'd be just as safe as installing it on FW 2.1.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OTPless installs can't get the OTP. If they could, it'd be just as safe as installing it on FW 2.1.
No, no it wouldn't. I don't get what your fixation is with OTP hash vs actual OTP, but, for installing a9lh, there's not a difference. Literally the only reason we obtain the OTP as of now is to get the hash of it later. The problem does NOT lie with the hash, the problem lies with getting code exec during OTPless, which happens BEFORE obtaining the hash... Seriously, I wish people would quit commenting on this when they have no clue how the whole thing works, it's all anecdotal or just plain wrong and I for one am getting sick of people spreading misinformation. If you'd like to actually understand how this works, first understand how regular a9lh works, because OTPless is just regular a9lh with a different key and one other requirement, which sometimes due to an UNKNOWN factor, seems to not be there, for some reason... /rant

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Seriously, I wish people would quit commenting on this when they have no clue how the whole thing works, it's all anecdotal or just plain wrong and I for one am getting sick of people spreading misinformation.
:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you'd like to actually understand how this works, first understand how regular a9lh works, because OTPless is just regular a9lh with a different key and one other requirement, which sometimes due to an UNKNOWN factor, seems to not be there, for some reason... /rant
otpless is a9lh, however the one that mostly everyone uses now is a9lh2 (or enhanced-a9lh, iirc that's what it's called on 3dbrew)
(just adding more precision here.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse