Sony now claim they legitimised gaming!!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:
The article sounds like it was written by a Fanboy. Obviously sony haven't heard of atari, nes, sega.... I'm pretty sure ever since video game consoles were created it was a form of entertainment. That was it's purpose after all. Sony are starting to talk out their backside now. First trash talking the 3DS and now this!? Seriously.

Shoving things up my ass is a form of entertainment too, but it's not considered a legitimate form. That's what their statement was about, being a legitimate form of entertainment, aka widespread, popular, and generally accepted. The Playstation did help disassociate gaming with the nerdcore fanbase and brought forth a more generalized audience. Nintendo did the same with the Gameboy or even the DS now.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ellie said:
Terminator02 said:
Why isn't there this much M$ hate?
There is, but it is just a lot less obvious, because Microsoft at least has the decency to not immediately call other companies names.
or steal tech...lately
tongue.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
Ellie said:
Terminator02 said:
Why isn't there this much M$ hate?
There is, but it is just a lot less obvious, because Microsoft at least has the decency to not immediately call other companies names.
or steal tech...lately
tongue.gif

Because everyone knows the industry of gaming is made from originality.

Seriously, who cares what the Move looks like or if it was a copycat idea, if it works 10x better than the WM+, does what it claims, and has a good use, then it shouldn't matter. Everybody in the gaming industry takes ideas from each other. If something is successful in the market, it's only natural to do the same thing so you're successful.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
QUOTE said:
Nintendo introduced the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)in the United States in 1985 after a successful launch of the Famicom in Japan. The NES is often considered to be the "savior" of the video game industry. Nintendo debuted Super Mario Bros, and later such hits as Metroid, and Zelda, helping to boost a market which seriously diminished in the early 1980s (often called "Video game crash of 1983" or "The Great Video Game Crash of the 80's").

smileipb2.png

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Terminator02 said:
A lot of sony hate on these forums, yes sony says some stupid things, but once you guys get an opportunity you jump on it and completely thrash them. Why isn't there this much M$ hate?
Like I said a few times already, I don't hate Sony, I hate their PR and marketing departments and believe they're staffed by untrained monkeys.

And Microsoft's public statements have been a bit more modest lately, they're not as active in the pissing contest Nintendo and Sony are currently engaged in.

Fabis94

Xbawx playa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Veho said:
Sony didn't invent gaming; they're not claiming that they did. What they did was legitimize it as a valid form of entertainment, and not just a shameful waste of time for losers. Before the Playstation, gaming was no different than masturbation: everyone did it, but you wouldn't do it in front of your grandma. Playstation made gaming something you don't have to be ashamed of any more.

[/tongue in cheek
rolleyes.gif
]

Err no...it actually started WAY before. Remember the gaming crash in the 1980's? Well it crashed because THEN it wasn't legit like you said. With NES came the new era and it became legit.

PSOne didn't do anything.

Also, lol at Terminator trying to get people to hate Microsoft for no reason, only so people don't hate Sony.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
Terminator02 said:
A lot of sony hate on these forums, yes sony says some stupid things, but once you guys get an opportunity you jump on it and completely thrash them. Why isn't there this much M$ hate?
Like I said a few times already, I don't hate Sony, I hate their PR and marketing departments and believe they're staffed by untrained monkeys.

And Microsoft's public statements have been a bit more modest lately, they're not as active in the pissing contest Nintendo and Sony are currently engaged in.

Yet again Microsoft probably realizes by now that even Kinect won't save their appeal to the casual crowd when Nintendo's been on it since Day 1 of the DS launch and Sony has been easily able to creep it into their marketing strategy with a cheaper console (the Slim being within an affordable range), "family friendly" games like LittleBigPlanet and ModNation Racers, and multimedia functions like Bluray. Microsoft will always have a pretty nice fanbase for their console and they do rake in $50 a year at least from every Gold subscriber. None of the other companies do. And Microsoft's biggest stake will always be in the computer software market.

B

ball2012003

why is this thread even open all people doing is hating sony
change the title to sony hate thread
bunch of nintendo fanboys on this site

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm being accused of both bashing and defending Sony in the same thread. And both people quoting the same post, too.

Sheesh, you guys
rolleyes.gif

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't hate sony, I own a psone 2 and 3. I just don't like what I've been hearing about them lately. They seem full of themselves and act as though they revoloutionised gaming.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
BobTheJoeBob said:
I don't hate sony, I own a psone 2 and 3. I just don't like what I've been hearing about them lately. They seem full of themselves and act as though they revoloutionised gaming.

This.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fabis94 said:
Veho said:
Sony didn't invent gaming; they're not claiming that they did. What they did was legitimize it as a valid form of entertainment, and not just a shameful waste of time for losers. Before the Playstation, gaming was no different than masturbation: everyone did it, but you wouldn't do it in front of your grandma. Playstation made gaming something you don't have to be ashamed of any more.

[/tongue in cheek
rolleyes.gif
]

Err no...it actually started WAY before. Remember the gaming crash in the 1980's? Well it crashed because THEN it wasn't legit like you said. With NES came the new era and it became legit.

Also, lol at Terminator trying to get people to hate Microsoft for no reason, only so people don't hate Sony.

The market crashed because companies made shitty games and everyone eventually went "Why the fuck am I buying these?" The market was "lost" because companies thought they could make shit games that everyone would buy due to their loyalty. And there's other factors like competition from personal computers and the large amount of gaming consoles out there. The NES didn't legitimize gaming, it simply brought hope to the current gamer base because it introduced something new. New characters, better games, etc.

The PSX did a lot of things. It made the RPG popular in America (yes, RPGs have been in America for a long time but they didn't go mainstream until FFVII and Square's huge amount of RPG titles hit the PSX). In many respects it helped expand the gaming market from the nerdy fanbase to the more "cool kids" (if you can think cool form the 90's...).

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"PSP will elevate portable entertainment out of the handheld gaming ghetto, and Sony is the only company that can do it." - Kaz Hirai

"Characters in games could look as good as they do in Toy Story." - Sony press release on PS2

Like their products or don't. Either way, Sony has been an arrogant company for some time now.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
In my eyes, home gaming was rather legitimate from the SNES / SEGA era... dorks and lovers had snes, the cooler kids that was a bit older and had sun shades played sonic... pretty much that.

Then psx came and pirating was ultra easy, now... what I want to say: Sony legitimised console software pirating!
smile.gif

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
The market crashed because companies made shitty games and everyone eventually went "Why the fuck am I buying these?" The market was "lost" because companies thought they could make shit games that everyone would buy due to their loyalty. And there's other factors like competition from personal computers and the large amount of gaming consoles out there. The NES didn't legitimize gaming, it simply brought hope to the current gamer base because it introduced something new. New characters, better games, etc.

The PSX did a lot of things. It made the RPG popular in America (yes, RPGs have been in America for a long time but they didn't go mainstream until FFVII and Square's huge amount of RPG titles hit the PSX). In many respects it helped expand the gaming market from the nerdy fanbase to the more "cool kids" (if you can think cool form the 90's...).

Maybe 'legitimize' is the wrong word, but Nintendo certainly saved console gaming as we know it. It was their licensing concept and lockout chip that stopped all these me-too companies from flooding the market with crap games that were barely even functional. I had an Atari 2600 and I KNOW how bad things got. Most people who complain that a lot of Wii games are crap(and they are) have no idea how bad it got back then.

And as far as the PS1 'legitimizing' things, I disagree. I think the PS1 was just a good system that came around at the right time. This wasn't a sudden jump from video games being nerd-stuff to Final Fantasy 7 being on store shelves. This was a gradual climb in game popularity that had been going on since the NES.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fabis94 said:

I'm not trying to get people to hate Microsoft, read my whole post. I will say that M$ is staying out of any arguments with it's competitors, so there isn't much flaming on them, but they did "steal" their technology from eyetoy, which "stole" from the dreamcast eye thing. As stated before, everyone steals things from competitors to keep up with them and stay relevant.

What Sony says is pretty much true, as gaming was just for nerds and PS1 helped to make it more mainstream, why don't you just read my post?

Anyways, this whole thread is going no where and should just be closed, I mean really it's just a bunch of fanboys arguing.
[title:I know your too lazy to find it yourself
glare.gif
]
Terminator02 said:
Guild McCommunist said:
First off, the title is bullshit. It doesn't say they invented gaming, it says they legitimized it. There's a big difference there. Not even Nintendo invented gaming.

Second, Sony makes a lot of stupid statements. From calling the Move "Wii HD" to a lot of other stupid things, it's something you get used to.

I wouldn't say they legitimized gaming, but they did a lot for it.

It seems like people here just love to jump on the hatetrain for Sony whenever they goddamn can despite not recognizing what they've done for the industry.
Thoob said:
If you actually read the article, what you'll find is that Sony didn't claim they invented gaming at all, only "legitimized" it. I think this is true, before the PS1, the majority of people who played video games were "nerds". The PS1 made gaming appealing to more "normal" people, made it mainstream, and any of your fanboy-based claims to the contrary are exactly that. Fanboy talk. You only want another reason to hate on Sony.
QUOTE(Veho @ Jul 2 2010, 05:19 PM)

[/tongue in cheek
rolleyes.gif
]
QFT

Frogman

This could be you!
Trophies
Website
www.frogmanreviews.com
XP
Country
I kinda feel sorry for Sony they are sayig all these terrible things and just digging a bigger hole for themselves

Sony you just need to pull your foot from out of your mouth and shut up!

G

GentleFist

terrible fanboy thread...

the article says they made it mainstream which is true

of course they didnt do that alone but they were a big part of it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o