Sony now claim they legitimised gaming!!

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fabis94 said:
Veho said:
Sony didn't invent gaming; they're not claiming that they did. What they did was legitimize it as a valid form of entertainment, and not just a shameful waste of time for losers. Before the Playstation, gaming was no different than masturbation: everyone did it, but you wouldn't do it in front of your grandma. Playstation made gaming something you don't have to be ashamed of any more.

[/tongue in cheek
rolleyes.gif
]

Err no...it actually started WAY before. Remember the gaming crash in the 1980's? Well it crashed because THEN it wasn't legit like you said. With NES came the new era and it became legit.

PSOne didn't do anything.

Also, lol at Terminator trying to get people to hate Microsoft for no reason, only so people don't hate Sony.
Hahahahahaha what?

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact is this is very much just a case of being there at the right time. The PSX was very popular during a period where the kids who grew up w/ Atari's or NES's were growing into adults or at the least kids w/ an expendable income. My father wouldn't be caught dead playing w/ that kids toy attached to our television, but that's because of that very stigma he felt it carried, not because he didn't enjoy the few times I talked him into it playing itw/ me. Pinball was OK, because it was around while he was growing up and "it took real skill." "Yeah, Dad, whatever." :-) His father felt the same way about pinball that mine did about video games and in my experience these attitudes were shared by most the other parents and grandparents at the time.

Well, us Atari kids grew up and we've been playing video games all our lives. Now that we have a couple of generations who grew up w/ video games and there are far less geezers out there that didn't, it's more acceptable because we out number them. Video games aren't like kids toys, where people tend to outgrow an interest in them. I've still got a few of the original Transformers kicking around, but it doesn't interest me to play w/ them any more (I just think they look on my desk at work) The PSX existed in the middle of that transition, that's it. Tt didn't do anything special, time did. "19 was old to me back then." Yeah, well he grew up w/ video games and never lost interest in playing them. The average parent back then didn't.

I moved around a fair bit back in the Atari days, and everywhere I lived tons of family's had Atari's (or Coleco Vision or something) whether the kids in those families were cool or not, and every one of them used them. To suggest that only "nerds" gamed back then is complete bullshit. The nerds were the kids that got into it more than the average and would discuss games (and Monty Python) the same way stereotypical male sitcom characters talk about sports. It's the same today. only it's now slightly more acceptable to be a gamer now.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Did you guys read the damm article?

Their not saying they STARTED gaming, their saying that they turned it from a simple hobby into a entertainment medium when the release of the PSone.

Read next time

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People just have to agree that it is true, it may not be as powerful as they say it is but there motives have reasoning. The PS1 did make gaming more accessible to the wider audience and created the ideas of consoles after it.

You could hate Sony and be in love with M$/Nintendo or even Sega for this matter but you have to agree that without the PS1 none of this would be possible. In reality gaming and the gaming scene is based on money like most things, if Sony hadn't came along and brought Playstations to every household then the market would of been a lot smaller. The PS1 made people of all ages and types enjoy gaming. They then monopolised the market for some time until people like Sega, Nintendo and M$ thought they could make a lot of money in this new market and brought out competitors

Yes Nintendo and Sega already had consoles out there but these were in the homes of mostly nerds/geeks and the odd as they say ''normal'' consumer, but the market never really bloomed until the PS1 hit the scene

If you really don't want to believe this then don't but if you look as gaming in a business sense and look at it as a market and a way to make money Sony are right.

In some aspects though I can accept they may have taken it overboard as I can accept that the Handheld market can differ, all though again only thanks to Sony opening up the market to a large consumer base did people want gaming to be portable ( Yes I know there were Handhelds before the PS1)

heavyknight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lack of love for the NES, my first console. Then came the Gens. And the beloved SNES which was only borrowed at most. I do love the GENs a lot, too. Shining Force, Sonic, Columns, Shinobi. Gaw..the nostalgia...makes me want to cry a little.

Though, what Sony says is a bit irritating after the not being impressed with the 3DS thing. Inb4FANBOY'd, Sony practically flat out said that 3DS is full of bugs and has a load of issues. Also, they ignored that it was basically a demo. To make it easier on the brains of some fanboys, it's a test patch, but idjits would mistake it as a full patch, even though it's been stated repeatedly that it's a test patch. Many things still can change.

On with the topic -
QUOTE said:
“I think what’s important is that gaming is the heart and soul of the company, and it’s what we do really well,” she said. “But what we’ve learned over the years… What we did as PlayStation, if you go back 15 years ago, we legitimized [gaming] as a form of entertainment.”
(First thing I thought : Sony has a soul?!)

NES is, Famicom, Family Computer, It's related to family, casual ranked games, like Tetris with 'hardcore' stuff like Contra. Same with Megaman and Metroid. That seems to pretty much 'legitimatize' it, long before the PS1. It's something for the ages, NES games. Then Gens, the magic of Sonic. And then the SNES, like the PS2, a system with a large amount of RPGs. Things were meh from N64, up until the Saturn. Then Dreamcast appears with PS2, and we also have the Gamecube, Xbox. Sony's taking too much credit.

Note - I'm just saying, Sony is off. Nintendo? Micro$oft? Meh. History lesson, or is that too much to ask?

Not the best choice of words that were used for Sony. Maybe taken it to the next level or enhanced it. hat would be agreeable.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
WTF!?
I was playing Super Mario World before playstation even existed.
The only thing that Sony has done good to the industry is by Nintendo being like "We got to beat the Evil company!We'll have to get more competitive".
And seriously, every console doesn't need to be followed by a number...
Try different names sony, you don't have to have 'Playstation' in all the console names...
They just want to get their fanboys more excited by saying "Yeah everything was crap before Playstation".
It's just a retarded marketing scheme...

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think the SNES Legitimised gaming, since I know more people with a SNES then a PSX...

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
kwartel said:
I think the SNES Legitimised gaming, since I know more people with a SNES then a PSX...
I think the NES did, with Super Mario Bros, because of its huge sales and because it got the gaming economy back up again.

But then again, PS1 also had a major role in legitimising, but not even close to the biggest.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Back in the day, N64 was the bomb. PS1 followed closely behind it. I think Sony finally realises they can't compete with current consoles. They released PS3 too early and the PSP isn't really getting much new stuff. Sony, you definately need to bring out the PSP2 soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always suggest kneepads with wheels to help with knee pain, then I get slapped