What do you think is biggest failure in gaming?

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
The gaming world has seen many failures over the years. For one reason or another, the game or the device hasn't sold or taken off to be considered a success. This doesn't me it was a bad product. This could be even a moment, but later the company turned it around, for example is the Xbox One launch with Microsoft saying the console would need online access once a day. Another examples are the Earthbound and Beyond Good and Evil games, which received generally positive reviews from critics and players alike but were not a commercial success, which then effected future games in the series one way or another.

Examples are:
  • Xbox One launch
  • Nintendo virtual boy
  • E.T on the Atari
  • Stadia
  • Duke Nukem Forever
  • Earthbound
  • Nintendo Wii U
  • PlayStation Classic
  • Shenmue and Shenmue II

For me, it's the PlayStation Vita. It had so much potential. But Sony using Proprietary PS Vita memory, it just didn't take off. Sony gave up on it pretty soon after its launch. It becomes known as an indie console, then later known for its Homebrew scene.

Hay, you might say, the Ouya? What do you think are the biggest failures in gaming and why?

Last edited by Flame,

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I think the biggest failure in gaming happened when it became normal to release beta versions of AAA games that they could finish with patches later on. How did gamers ever allow this?

Yes, cyberpunk 2077 is the first thing that comes to mind.

A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever. Unless you keep patching with updates and use the gamers as a guinea pig.
― Shigeru Miyamoto

this is the original quote V

A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.
― Shigeru Miyamoto

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The unnecessary cycle of new hardware every 6 (ish) years... annoying because it's pushed for by the consumers (muh grafix, muh fraymrayt) more so than the console manufacturers. The manufacturers would increase their profit margins by maintaining the lifespan of a system, as they still, famously, make a loss on hardware sales and recoup it through software.
Why unnecessary? Obviously this is only my opinion, but the majority of the most unique and interesting (and arguably best) games on current systems could've eaasily been released on hardware from two generations back (if not older). It seems that new systems replace the previous gen just at the point where devs figure out how to get the most out of them. Better hardware specs rarely equate to better games... which is why some games on hardware from 40 years ago are still just as fun to play now as they ever were.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
The unnecessary cycle of new hardware every 6 (ish) years... annoying because it's pushed for by the consumers (muh grafix, muh fraymrayt) more so than the console manufacturers. The manufacturers would increase their profit margins by maintaining the lifespan of a system, as they still, famously, make a loss on hardware sales and recoup it through software.
Why unnecessary? Obviously this is only my opinion, but the majority of the most unique and interesting (and arguably best) games on current systems could've eaasily been released on hardware from two generations back (if not older). It seems that new systems replace the previous gen just at the point where devs figure out how to get the most out of them. Better hardware specs rarely equate to better games... which is why some games on hardware from 40 years ago are still just as fun to play now as they ever were.

I get what you mean. But will it make sense for dev to release games on something like the Wii? But the thing is, this is why Sony and Microsoft consoles for the last two generation are just rebranded PC's more or less. So the devs don't have a hard learning curve. Sony did this mistake with the PS3. This is also why PC gaming is so successful.

Reactions: Xzi

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get what you mean. But will it make sense for dev to release games on something like the Wii? But the thing is, this is why Sony and Microsoft consoles for the last two generation are just rebranded PC's more or less. So the devs don't have a hard learning curve. Sony did this mistake with the PS3. This is also why PC gaming is so successful.
Which, in my opinion, is a travesty all on its own. The PS3 was a beast of a machine. Even now, it could hold up as a decent computer if it were in a different form factor. Imagine a PC built with the PS3 CPU, graphics cards you can upgrade, RAM you can upgrade, and in a form factor that fits in most PC cases.

Between Nintendo switching to ARM, Apple switching to Intel and then ARM, Sony and Microsoft going with off the shelf modified x86/64 CPU's, you almost never hear of a PowerPC device anymore. And that's a shame because in 2019 IBM started giving it away to anyone who wants the instruction set. You can literally design your own PowerPC CPU for free. For anything.

Huge waste of potential in the gaming world. And the embedded world.

Reactions: Flame

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Which, in my opinion, is a travesty all on its own. The PS3 was a beast of a machine. Even now, it could hold up as a decent computer if it were in a different form factor. Imagine a PC built with the PS3 CPU, graphics cards you can upgrade, RAM you can upgrade, and in a form factor that fits in most PC cases.

Between Nintendo switching to ARM, Apple switching to Intel and then ARM, Sony and Microsoft going with off the shelf modified x86/64 CPU's, you almost never hear of a PowerPC device anymore. And that's a shame because in 2019 IBM started giving it away to anyone who wants the instruction set. You can literally design your own PowerPC CPU for free. For anything.

Huge waste of potential in the gaming world. And the embedded world.

I agree, 100% PowerPC CPU had real potential. Now we have intel based CPU architecture, and the ARM architecture leading the field in general with fewer choices for the consumer.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sega leaving the console market :(
Another travesty was Sega stopping making home video game consoles. I was a young adult when that happened. For many of us who lived through the "arcade" fad, it signified that arcade style gaming was over. We were left with platformers and family friendly games from Nintendo and the same old sports/shooters/GTA games on Playstation and Xbox.

Gone were the goofy games like Crazy Taxy. Gone were the arcade physics fighters like Dead or Alive. And the oddball games like Seaman. No more fantastic ports of arcade games to the home console. Here comes Call of Duty.

Vetusomaru

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The video game crash of 1983 with Atari and its competitors being at fault and with Nintendo later saving the day with Famicom/NES.

GooglePlay is also giving me Atari 2600 era vibe with the over-saturation of crappy video games and with Google mostly pushing crappy games instead of giving you better games search options.

Reactions: Ryab and Flame

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The Dreamcast. Sega actually had a winning system that had the power and just needed software support and TLC. Maybe even a new controller with dual sticks. However, the console itself still holds up today and looks great on VGA displays. It’s ridiculous that it sank like it did.

Cloud gaming isn’t a failure, per se, but it is detrimental to the gaming ecosystem. I’m glad Stadia bombed, but only because fuck exclusivity (Destiny 2 not coming to Linux), especially on a system you can’t even physically touch. I understand the need for it in some markets, but it should NEVER be a primary platform.

Games as a Service. It has dragged quality way down and given developers an excuse to not give games a proper, full experience from the beginning. This is a failure on the part of the consumer.

Last edited by Kioku,

Paolosworld

Dionicio3's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Earthbound was a financial failure initally, but became a great seller after it's rerelease on the wii U.
Also It's hard to call it a failure considering how influential the game was and continues to be.

Reactions: Flame

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Commodore 64 GS
Amstrad GX4000
Konix Multisystem

Just 3 of many failures in gaming much bigger than anyone else has discussed here lol.

The Amstrad GX4000 ??? Too much bells? I would give some of my Dalmore 12-Year-Old Single Malt Whisky, but you would think that's shit too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?