• Start date
  • Views 623,238
  • Replies 1,792
  • Likes 103

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
Just thought I'd share this bit of info with the community. I was able to convert SMSAdvance gba packed with complete romsets of Sega SG-1000/GameGear and Master System into CIA using tools from here. I can now run every game for those sega systems on my 3DS. Also had some good results with PocketNes and Cologne(ColecoVision Emulator) and NGPAdvance(NeoGeo Pocket Emulator) and PCEAdvance(PC Engine Emulator). So more complete Retro CIA's could be around the corner. I will not be posting links to my files on GBATemp for obvious reasons but anyone interested can search through 3DS boards elsewhere and find them.

I hope this encourages continued homebrew development for the 3DS scene (Especially the emulation brew!).
Decided to mess with this myself for something to do...
How do you go about making the footer for it (any homebrew i guess, smsadvance atm) to build the cia?

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do sleep patches work? something like that which works on my ez flash 4 http://www.kuwanger.net/gba/sleephack/
I got that sleep patch working with Drill Dozer. It doesn't have built in sleep. And the reset patch that one includes is also nice. Because the sleep patch trims roms, I padded the game back to it's original size with 0xFF's.

bache

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure the answer to this is probably no, but provided you have a way to install CIA files to sysNAND, could you use this without CFW? From my understanding, the CIA patches the signature checks used to prevent illegitimate GBA games from booting in sysNAND. What would be stopping me from booting my Gateway into sysNAND, installing the CIA and some GBA games, rebooting to get out of Gateway and then playing the games without any sort of CFW or Gateway?

Last edited by bache,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I'm sure the answer to this is probably no, but provided you have a way to install CIA files to sysNAND, could you use this without CFW? From my understanding, the CIA patches the signature checks used to prevent illegitimate GBA games from booting in sysNAND. What would be stopping me from booting my Gateway into sysNAND, installing the CIA and some GBA games, rebooting to get out of sysNAND and then playing the games without any sort of CFW or Gateway?
you can install anything you want, but sure they will not play in gw mode

bache

Trophies
XP
Country
you can install anything you want, but sure they will not play in gw mode
The method I'm suggesting doesn't use Gateway for playing though. It's just for installing them. Would it work? I know I should just try myself, but I'd rather not play with my sysNAND if it's not going to have the desired result.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The method I'm suggesting doesn't use Gateway for playing though. It's just for installing them. Would it work? I know I should just try myself, but I'd rather not play with my sysNAND if it's not going to have the desired result.
No, they will not boot except in a CFW mode. The icon will be there, but the banner will not show up.

Reactions: bache

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
sure, i said you can install anything you want.
so, that means you can install anything you want (gba games included). they will not play in gw mode, but they will play in pasta etc

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You get X as an optional alternative to B. Besides that you'd have to patch agb_firm to remap buttons, which would be inconvenient if you wanted different mappings for different games.

D

Deleted-355425

View attachment 20297 View attachment 20298 I thought as everyone don't have the old gba. I share picture comparison so everyone can see the difference in brightness.

From left to right: original gba sp, N3DSXL, gba sp ags -101.

First picture the gbas has the lowest brightness. Second picture the gbas has the highest brightness.

I choose to play my gba library on the N3DSXL :)

i hope this drops the price on the ags-101's on ebay, id like to buy a 2nd one to put in a gba but im not paying the inflated prices lol

Reactions: SLiV3R

hasan641

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all, I have a problem installing the patched agb_firm. I downloaded 0004013800000202 v3665 using 3DNUS, patched it, and tried installing it using FBI. But I keep getting an 'Installed failed! Could not install app' error. I even deleted the previous title but the error persists. I have an Old 3DS with pasta cfw if that helps. Thank you.

Imhullu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, where do you guys get the banner images from? Now that this is available, I'd like to be able to sort everything properly. Any ideas?

EDIT: Never mind, just threw something together in paint. Now, how do I delete a title once it's installed?

Last edited by Imhullu,

Neru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always get the "An error has occurred" message on the bottom screen, I did everything right and I'm loading it through rxtools with agb support. Any clue? The game I'm trying to play is MegaMan Battle Network 6 - Cybeast Gregar.

Edit: Nvm got it to work.

Last edited by Neru,

Drenn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does anyone know of a way to remap start and select to X and Y, perhaps as a setting in the footer? Or would that require a firmware hack...

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this has already been answered ( I don't really want to read through 33 pages) , can I use this with the rxTools (with sig patched out) that supports smash 4? I know there's a version that supports gba, but I play smash often enough that I don't want to have to swap the launcher every time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1