Platinum launches a Kickstarter campaign to port The Wonderful 101 to Switch, PC, PS4

Just as the rumors foretold, PlatinumGames is bringing the Wii U title The Wonderful 101 to a new audience, through the power of Kickstarter. Initially starting with a $50,000 goal to port the game on the Nintendo Switch, the campaign managed to rocket past the goal and is currently sitting on the cusp of $700,000 dollars pledged at the time of writing. This means that the two additional stretch goals--a Steam version and a PlayStation 4 port--have also been secured. Two new stretch goals have been added, which include a Time Attack mode, and a new 2D side-scrolling bonus adventure set at $1 million and $1.5 million respectively.

The Wonderful 101 Remastered was also revealed to be one of the mysterious four projects that the company is working on, as shown by their new website, which was updated to show The Wonderful 101's Kickstarter page. Pledging what converts to about $36 USD will get yourself a digital copy of the game, with an estimated delivery of April 2020. Higher backer tiers include digital comics, the game's soundtrack, a physical copy of the game, or if you're daring enough, you can get your Twitter account blocked by the one and only Hideki Kamiya for around $100.

The Wonderful 101 first released as a Nintendo Wii U exclusive, and was, to the chagrin of PlatinumGames, relegated to the platform against their control. Now with the success of the Kickstarter, they'll be able to easily bring it over to the three confirmed platforms later this year.

:arrow: Source

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I remember right kickstarter does take a big cut, but jesus they could go into early stages of a cheap shitty android console with the amount of money earned. Maybe I'm in the wrong business if people are willing to give a million dollars just to remaster a game.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Got go work - but who cares how much profit someone makes least we get our games noone should giv a cows arse

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Getting blocked by Hideki Kamiya is literally the easiest thing in the world, it's harder not to be blocked. Not worth paying any money for.

I know some people wanted Wonderful 101 to be ported, so they're gonna be happy about this. I got the game for free as part of a deal where anyone who bought Mario Kart 8 could choose a free download code from a list which included Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 among others. No idea why they were just giving away games like that. Anyway, I didn't care that much for it myself, seems like a well made game, just not my cup of tea.

The WiiU > NX in nearly every aspect. SMO could have been a WiiU game, for the others I really do not care much. 101 is a great game and will not look better on the Switch. I will never get it how N treated the U (similar as Sony treated the VITA imho).
Pretty sure you're baiting but anyway... The Wii U is worse in every aspect (gimmicky, bulky gamepad, less powerful, harder to develop for, not portable, almost no third party games, no Pokemon, no proper 3D Mario, it was a commercial failure, not to mention the gamepad use in certain games like Star Fox Zero actually detracts from the game, to the degree that they would actually play better if ported to the Switch)
Nintendo tried to keep the Wii U alive but when it was apparent the 3rd parties were not on board and they probably never would be, and without the 3rd parties the Wii U would never be a commercial success, they had to cut their losses and move on.

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If Nintendo ports Pikmin 3, I think that'll be every Wii U game I cared about ported over now. I held onto my Wii U for a while because I wasn't sure if I'd get to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions or Wonderful 101 anywhere else, but that's taken care of now.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If Nintendo ports Pikmin 3, I think that'll be every Wii U game I cared about ported over now. I held onto my Wii U for a while because I wasn't sure if I'd get to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions or Wonderful 101 anywhere else, but that's taken care of now.
I rather see a new Pikmin than a port of Pikmin 3. I really hated the controls of it to be honest.

D

Deleted User

And both are apparently failures!
the xbox one is still supported and forced microsoft to improve themselves, nintendo learned nothing and are still a hell of a toxic company

but yeah both failed to varying degrees

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And both are apparently failures!
The Xbox One is by no means a weakling, total sales are around 46 million to date, putting it ahead of some "cult classics" like the GC and the N64, as well as the original Xbox, and with a rather healthy margin as well. Of course the demographics are a little different than in the past, however we mustn't forget that Microsoft has almost no presence in Asia, particularly Japan, whereas Nintendo and Sony do. Few people play on an Xbox in that region of the world, and that's hard to turn around. The One didn't repeat the massive success of the 360 and the original design was rather unappealing, but the S and the X are very well-designed systems, some of my favourites in terms of build quality. Hopefully this generation was a learning experience for Microsoft, but overall I'd say that the Xbox One is a significantly better system than the Wii U ever was - the old geezer was ill-conceived and built based on truly outdated hardware. The Switch is its natural evolution and a much better attempt at a "hybrid console", which is just a polite way to say "handheld with an HDMI Out".

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
It's good for people that want to try it. I didn't really like it on the Wii U. There was just so much going on onscreen that I was getting confused on where my character was. Hopefully it's still dual audio and I hope they add some improvements like more secret characters.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Re "why do a crowdfunding effort when you have investors?"

It is always nicer to spend someone else's money, also that shows interest to future investors in a way a survey (cost of entry is 2 seconds to click yes I would like) or preorders.

Anyway I generally approve of fewer exclusives in the world.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great for fan people that are going to get it. Congratulations but I don't find this game fun and entertainment. Not my thing. Never liked it. I will pass, thought. To be honest, I disliked the characters's appearance and such.

D

Deleted User

Big fan of platinum loved bayonetta and vanquish. Astral chain is great. But somehow this game slipped past my radar. Can anyone give me objective opinion? Worth playing wii u? Wait for switch? Or just stay away?

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This is more of a special case, because it's Platinum, and they tend to carry quite the fanbase. Not to mention the game is already complete, and this is just a port job. Kickstarters being ridiculously overfunded quickly isn't their fault either nor a trend they're setting--it happened with Shenmue 3, and it happened with Bloodstained, Yooka Laylee, and Psychonauts 2, and Pillars of Eternity. I'd rather we get these kickstarter games than not, because even if they aren't as good as promised, chances are, we wouldn't have them at all without the crowdfunding.
yeah and because of that we see publishers asking for money before releasing on an increasing basis and it's an upcoming trend. I don't agree that it isn't their fault to begin with since in the past not a single company asked money for a port or other stuff while now we keep seeing it more and more meaning it's becoming quite a normal thing to do so while it's not

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/OUPRttnIyio?si=bm-9qNqiusvshBAz