Red Dead Redemption heads to Switch and PS4, but will not be a remaster, and will not release on PC

Rockstar is finally bringing its beloved Red Dead Redemption to new platforms, but it's not in the way that most fans expected. Red Dead Redemption, and its Undead Nightmare expansion are getting a modern release on the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. Studio Double Eleven is working on this version of the game, which exists as a port rather than a remaster, with Rockstar referring to it as a "conversion". There will not be a native PlayStation 5 release of Red Dead Redemption, though the PS4 game will be backwards compatible and work on the PlayStation 5. PC players who have clamored for the game appear to have been ignored, with no PC port announced. Red Dead Redemption will retail both physically and digitally for $49.99, with a launch date of August 17th.

Experience the epic Western adventure Red Dead Redemption and its groundbreaking zombie-horror companion, Undead Nightmare, as both games come to the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 for the very first time in a single package. In a new conversion by Double Eleven Studios, the Switch and PS4 versions bring the two classic experiences together again for both new players and original fans to enjoy across modern consoles, including backwards compatibility with the PlayStation 5.

One of the most critically acclaimed games of all time with over 170 Game of the Year Awards, Red Dead Redemption tells the story of former outlaw John Marston as he journeys across the sprawling expanses of the American West and Mexico to track down the last remaining members of the notorious Van der Linde Gang in a bid to save his family. Relive, or experience for the first time, the events immediately following the epic tale of honor and loyalty in the 2018 blockbuster Red Dead Redemption 2 as Marston hunts down his former friends and outlaws Bill Williamson, Javier Escuella, and his former gang leader, Dutch van der Linde as the era of the cowboy comes to its end.

ChronosNotashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why, though? this is a direct port, so there should be no downgrades.
More or less this. The only real concern would be if someone (either the dev working on this or Rockstar themselves) botches up the porting attempt and introduces new issues that weren't present when the game was on PS3. And 60 FPS probably won't be a thing unless they "unlock" the frame rate (unless the PS3 version was already "unlocked" and just ran at 30 FPS because of hardware), so should be the same between PS4 and Switch performance-wise.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Major f*cking disappointment from cockstar once again. Hopefully, I'm not the only one noticing how really out of touch they're becoming. I guess that's what going woke gets you >(

Reactions: AlexMCS

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
l
There are a lot of things that run just fine on it. It's only poorly optimized stuff and stuff made in Unity I've seen noticeable issues with, and some of Koei's ports which may fall into one if not both of the aforementioned categories.
Devs find it hard to port their games because the switch dev kits have poor documentation, so it's mostly a hit and miss, and before you go for first parties like zelda and mario, they're optimized thanks to first hand support of the real hardware architects, this will perform worse than ps3, mark my words.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Devs find it hard to port their games because the switch dev kits have poor documentation, so it's mostly a hit and miss, and before you go for first parties like zelda and mario, they're optimized thanks to first hand support of the real hardware architects, this will perform worse than ps3, mark my words.
And somehow we got ports like Alien Isolation that works and looks better than on PS4. In the end it really depends on devs and game.

Reactions: YuseiFD

lilalex

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
well i havent played the first one but i finished the 2nd one
for some reason im excited seeing this on ps4
(even tho i shouldn't be)

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
And somehow we got ports like Alien Isolation that works and looks better than on PS4. In the end it really depends on devs and game.
Yes which is baffeling, but i really was glad that devs managed to prove that hardware was never an issue, it's all optimization !!

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just image this game get's Red Dead Online for Switch (i know it's not going happen) cause RDR and RDR2 have different online severs and other stuff.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just image this game get's Red Dead Online for Switch (i know it's not going happen) cause RDR and RDR2 have different online severs and other stuff.
Around 2021 (or was it 2022?) I played Redemption online on PS3 and it annoyed me because the hackers/cheaters were ruining the experience. Assholes.

It better not happen on the Switch, too.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Now, I will try to look into it without the "fps" or "it's only 720!!" and shit. I grew up with the NES and I hate when people whine about those things. If a game is playable and is well made, enjoy it. Don't dissect it trying to find any flaw. (If a game is shit and poorly made, then yes, we need to raise our voices.)

You're in 2023, not 1989.
For new games (3D games and their remasters/ports), "bad" graphics (anything under 1080p60) is not really acceptable anymore, as is the case for this one.

This is why NSW gets so much flak, since its games struggle to even keep 30 fps in native hardware, and it does make a huge difference in enjoyment.
It's fine to say games are playable at low res/fps, they obviously are, just look at how much they sell, but it's not fine to SETTLE for it.

If Nintendo's next console is another sub-60 fps disaster, I will be avoiding it until there is widespread piracy/emulation available for it.

As for this port, after a good amount of research, just sticking to emulation via Xenia will most likely result in a far better experience.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto