'Red Dead Redemption' PS4 and Switch port pricing is 'commercially accurate', says Take-Two CEO

switch rdr.jpg

After announcing the release of Red Dead Redemption, including its Undead Nightmare expansion, on PS4 and Switch, the $50 pricing and the non-remastered state was divisive among the fanbase. During a Take-Two earnings call following the announcement, IGN asked CEO Strauss Zelnick for clarifications about the pricing choice. “That's just what we believe is the commercially accurate price for it,” Zelnick replied.

IGN followed by asking if Undead Nightmare was the reason for its $50 price, to which Zelnick said that the expansion “was a great standalone game in its own right when it was originally released, so we feel like it's a great bundle for the first time, and certainly a great value for consumers.”

While he was vague about a potential PC release, the CEO had the following to say for the choice of a port over a remaster:

"It depends on the vision that the creative teams have for a title, and in the absence of having a powerful vision, for something that we would do with a title, we might bring it in its original form, we've done that, and in certain instances we might remaster or remake, so it really depends on the title and how the label feels about it, the platform, and what we think the opportunity is for consumers."

:arrow: SOURCE

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 387539
This doesn't justify a 60$ tag, when you can achieve the same thing in a modded WiiU
And Mario 64 on the Switch was in 4:3. lol

So deluxe. xD

This guy made a comparison of Mario 64's All-Stars Switch version vs Switch NSO version:

He says the All-Stars version is more "refined," but seriously, look at what the fans have done and tell me that's refined!

Brand loyalty does nothing for me, either the company puts effort into it or I don't care about defending them.
Post automatically merged:

The game is actively on sale. You can buy it on Xbox right now, it’s not delisted. It is compatible with current gen systems. They’re just releasing it on other platforms. Your entire rant was kind of pointless, my point stands. Unless it’s updated to 4K 60FPS there’s no point in re-releasing it on Xbox, which is why it was announced for PS4 and Switch only.

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/store/red-dead-redemption/BWKLFHWT7DHC/0001
And Red Dead Redemption received a physical Xbox One release.

Here's the cover...

81k9pGfWGPL._SL1500_.jpg

It should get an updated cover because it has surpassed the 360 version.

The Series X wow, it looks like a remaster!

Last edited by Marc_LFD,
Reactions: YuseiFD

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
The game is actively on sale. You can buy it on Xbox right now, it’s not delisted. It is compatible with current gen systems. They’re just releasing it on other platforms. Your entire rant was kind of pointless, my point stands. Unless it’s updated to 4K 60FPS there’s no point in re-releasing it on Xbox, which is why it was announced for PS4 and Switch only.

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/store/red-dead-redemption/BWKLFHWT7DHC/0001
But they aren't rereleasing it to xbox, the reason is because it's not on other consoles, your reply is far more pointless as you're just literally citing what i said, why would i get an entirely new console to play a delisted game. Again, it's free through emulation, it's legal through purchasing the game and it's original console, which you can get for the same price as this announced 50$.

Ashramkun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That kind of open-world gaming was never my thing, and I don't even own modern consoles. I'm just here to laugh at the comments. I always associate with that video.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That kind of open-world gaming was never my thing, and I don't even own modern consoles. I'm just here to laugh at the comments. I always associate with that video.

Open world for everything is kinda dumb, even Sonic has an "open world" game. Wtf.

However, Red Dead Redemption's "go anywhere" is loads of fun if you're into Western games.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
View attachment 387539
This doesn't justify a 60$ tag, when you can achieve the same thing in a modded WiiU
Do amiibo count as an improvement, though? Not everyone will be able, or want to, spend extra for those, especially if there's nothing major attached to using them.

Sure, there was something major attached to the Wolf Link amiibo for Twilight Princess HD (an extra cave, and beating it grants an extra Wallet upgrade, thereby unlocking the Colossal Wallet for the save file), so it did count, as annoying as it was for those who didn't get it back then or cannot get it now.
Conversely, there wasn't anything worthwhile tied to amiibo, when it comes to The Wind Waker HD, so amiibo support doesn't really count as an improvement for it.

Is there anything worthwhile tied to the Zelda and Loftwing amiibos...?

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
Do amiibo count as an improvement, though? Not everyone will be able, or want to, spend extra for those, especially if there's nothing major attached to using them.

Sure, there was something major attached to the Wolf Link amiibo for Twilight Princess HD (an extra cave, and beating it grants an extra Wallet upgrade, thereby unlocking the Colossal Wallet for the save file), so it did count, as annoying as it was for those who didn't get it back then or cannot get it now.
Conversely, there wasn't anything worthwhile tied to amiibo, when it comes to The Wind Waker HD, so amiibo support doesn't really count as an improvement for it.

Is there anything worthwhile tied to the Zelda and Loftwing amiibos...?
Having optional post story content purchasable is just the norm, like it or hate it, as long as hou can play and beat the game 100% it is worthwhile, amiibo have been part of the nintendo consumerism for years, i never owned one, always bought those rewritable tags, thanks china, but also paying 60$ to pay even more to unlock something is still lazy. TOTK fixed this cancer by giving you everything, except epona, in the game. So amiibo doesn't count, unlockable behind a pay wall never count

qzack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't normally comment but can't hold my breath on this. The first rule of Mass Media is "give the people what they want".
We have always wanted a PC Port and now you release the game to a end of production console (PS4). I might try the switch port but I still have the 360 version and my console available to play this along with the expansion.

Commercially Accurate? Yeah as long as your pockets are lined. - Take Two CEO

This has "Cash Grab" written all over it.
No Soup for you, come back two year.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was disappointed when I found out that all amiibos do is unlock costumes and the likes rather than make that toy character playable in-game.

Skylanders did that for Nintendo...

I played that years ago and it was so much fun!

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
View attachment 387539
you cant achieve the improved visuals or framerate on a moded wiiu lol ( you cant make wii games run at 60 fps on wiiu...), first wii games are locked to 480p be a wiiu moded or not you cant make wii games show in hd at all since wiiu has 2 gpu and wii games run in wii gpu that is maxed at 480p so skyward sword went from 480p to 1080p and 30 fps to 60fps, that alone is a major improvement, then they reworked some textures, graphics and controls and whatbnot, this is actually an hd remaster since the original game max resolution is 480p unlike red dead redemption that wont even have a 4k mode on ps4 it will still be hd only,

so they reworked the entire control schemefor regular controllers and the game was built around those since this was a motion only game
went from 480p to hd
went from 30 fps to 60 fps
improved textures

and yet you are comparing doing all this to doing nothing? even worse than nothing they actually removed the multiplayer from the re release...

this is what people wanted from the read dead re release, if they touched up textures, doubled the framerate made it ps5 enhanced to 4k there wouldnt be that much complains out there...

Last edited by pedro702,
Reactions: ChronosNotashi

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
you cant achieve the improved visuals or framerate on a moded wiiu lol ( you cant make wii games run at 60 fps on wiiu...), first wii games are locked to 480p be a wiiu moded or not you cant make wii games show in hd at all since wiiu has 2 gpu and wii games run in wii gpu that is maxed at 480p so skyward sword went from 480p to 1080p and 30 fps to 60fps, that alone is a major improvement, then they reworked some textures, graphics and controls and whatbnot, this is actually an hd remaster since the original game max resolution is 480p unlike red dead redemption that wont even have a 4k mode on ps4 it will still be hd only,

so they reworked the entire control schemefor regular controllers and the game was built around those since this was a motion only game
went from 480p to hd
went from 30 fps to 60 fps
improved textures

and yet you are comparing doing all this to doing nothing? even worse than nothing they actually removed the multiplayer from the re release...

this is what people wanted from the read dead re release, if they touched up textures, doubled the framerate made it ps5 enhanced to 4k there wouldnt be that much complains out there...
You're describing porting a game that needed special motions and controls to a much better console that supports none of those features, humm, i wonder if they would've let it show the "connect the wiimote please" message, what they did is still lazy and yes, i did play SS on wii u at 1080p output, not sure if it was 60fps or not, but still an upgraded performance than the wii, and no, it still doesn't justify the price.

Im not sure why is everyone here defending nintendo, they're literally doing this, they've been doing it for decades. Omg

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You're describing porting a game that needed special motions and controls to a much better console that supports none of those features, humm, i wonder if they would've let it show the "connect the wiimote please" message, what they did is still lazy and yes, i did play SS on wii u at 1080p output, not sure if it was 60fps or not, but still an upgraded performance than the wii, and no, it still doesn't justify the price.

Im not sure why is everyone here defending nintendo, they're literally doing this, they've been doing it for decades. Omg
lol no you didnt play at 1080p lolol you played it at 480p with wiiu upscalling it to 1080p that is totaly diferent than the game itself being rendered at 1080p... same way you can play any game on wiiu upscaled to 1080p its still 480p max if its a wii game.

your delusional skyward sword has no improvements on the wiiu it runs on the wii part of the console, maybe you are confusing your zelda games, twilight princess and wind waker did get wiiu versions that were actually upgraded from gc/wii skyward sword never got a wiiu version so it only plays the wii version, if you played it on wiiu moded or not you played the regular wii version locked to 30 fps and 480p upscalled to 1080p like any wii content, which is actually a worse image than actually setting your wiiu vwii to 480p directly since the wiiu upscaller is even worse than most tv upscallers sadly. there are countless threads on gbatemp stating the wiiu upscaller makes the image worse more than anything check it out.

Also the switch doesnt support motion controls? what are you smoking again? lol you can play skyward sword with motion controls on switch the same as the wii since you can use detached joycons... seriously do you even owned a wii or own a switch?

Reactions: ChronosNotashi

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
lol no you didnt play at 1080p lolol you played it at 480p with wiiu upscalling it to 1080p that is totaly diferent than the game itself being rendered at 1080p... same way you can play any game on wiiu upscaled to 1080p its still 480p max if its a wii game.

your delusional skyward sword has no improvements on the wiiu it runs on the wii part of the console, maybe you are confusing your zelda games, twilight princess and wind waker did get wiiu versions that were actually upgraded from gc/wii skyward sword never got a wiiu version so it only plays the wii version, if you played it on wiiu moded or not you played the regular wii version locked to 30 fps and 480p upscalled to 1080p like any wii content, which is actually a worse image than actually setting your wiiu vwii to 480p directly since the wiiu upscaller is even worse than most tv upscallers sadly. there are countless threads on gbatemp stating the wiiu upscaller makes the image worse more than anything check it out.

Also the switch doesnt support motion controls? what are you smoking again? lol you can play skyward sword with motion controls on switch the same as the wii since you can use detached joycons... seriously do you even owned a wii or own a switch?
Are you saying the switch has the very dame motion controls that the wii had in it's wiimote ? Sure, whatever helps you sleep

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Are you saying the switch has the very dame motion controls that the wii had in it's wiimote ? Sure, whatever helps you sleep
you can use motion controls on switch lol you didnt know? they work diferently but in the end its the same result

im guessing you dont own a switch do you? there is even switch sports that is basically motion controll sports game for switch the same way as wii sports...

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Open world for everything is kinda dumb, even Sonic has an "open world" game. Wtf.

However, Red Dead Redemption's "go anywhere" is loads of fun if you're into Western games.
I know right? Did Legend of Zelda need to go open-world? Why? It ignores almost every part of the good formula that isn't the overworld, which is often the least enjoyable part - it ignores the stellar dungeon design, for one thing, along with Heart Pieces and the arsenal collected over time.

Not everything needs to go open-world, and Legend of Zelda is one of them.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know right? Did Legend of Zelda need to go open-world? Why? It ignores almost every part of the good formula that isn't the overworld, which is often the least enjoyable part - it ignores the stellar dungeon design, for one thing, along with Heart Pieces and the arsenal collected over time.

The breakable weapons is also pretty annoying.

• Love
Reactions: AkiraKurusu

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Literaly the first zelda game on the nes is an openworld game, you can go any place and do the dungeon on any order... so i dont know why you think it never made sense? loljust becuase its not 3d and 3rd person doesnt make it any less open world.

i think of all nintendo ips zelda is the most fitting one to have gone open world that and pokemon because they are games set on vast worlds where you go from place to place so it makes sence.

now sonic being openwrold didnt made sence since sonic is more mission based/stage based and ewas never interconnected between any areas imo.

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
you can use motion controls on switch lol you didnt know? they work diferently but in the end its the same result

im guessing you dont own a switch do you? there is even switch sports that is basically motion controll sports game for switch the same way as wii sports...

You keep saying i don't own one, but i have two, making a condition where the switch gyro moves to make a character punch, isn't the same thing as aim and shoot an arrow, the latter is actual motion, please learn the difference

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You keep saying i don't own one, but i have two, making a condition where the switch gyro moves to make a character punch, isn't the same thing as aim and shoot an arrow, the latter is actual motion, please learn the difference
you swing the controller to slice and aim to shoot in the exact same way... might be more accurate or less depending on the game but the moves are the exact same ones.

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This post was meant to be satirical bro, im literally saying the following indirectly: nintendo does it for years, no one bats an eye, rockstar does it and suddenly they're the devil.

The very fact that you understood what you wanted to understand, shows how much of a retarded mindset you have, it's sad seeing people like you even giving an opinion on this.

The only thing i agree with you on, is that you understand nothing of marketing and selling a product, you're acting as if this is the first cashgrab for rockstar or any other company.
"This post was meant to be satirical bro" can't just make a statement then claim it was just satire my guy. People have always batted an eye when Nintendo charges unreasonable prices for their Wii U ports. Just because you chose not to listen to the hate towards nintendo raising prices on their games doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Plus, the port doesn't even run at fucking 60fps on modern consoles. People have EVERY right to complain about this batshit port

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol