'Red Dead Redemption' PS4 and Switch port pricing is 'commercially accurate', says Take-Two CEO

switch rdr.jpg

After announcing the release of Red Dead Redemption, including its Undead Nightmare expansion, on PS4 and Switch, the $50 pricing and the non-remastered state was divisive among the fanbase. During a Take-Two earnings call following the announcement, IGN asked CEO Strauss Zelnick for clarifications about the pricing choice. “That's just what we believe is the commercially accurate price for it,” Zelnick replied.

IGN followed by asking if Undead Nightmare was the reason for its $50 price, to which Zelnick said that the expansion “was a great standalone game in its own right when it was originally released, so we feel like it's a great bundle for the first time, and certainly a great value for consumers.”

While he was vague about a potential PC release, the CEO had the following to say for the choice of a port over a remaster:

"It depends on the vision that the creative teams have for a title, and in the absence of having a powerful vision, for something that we would do with a title, we might bring it in its original form, we've done that, and in certain instances we might remaster or remake, so it really depends on the title and how the label feels about it, the platform, and what we think the opportunity is for consumers."

:arrow: SOURCE

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't see what's wrong either, Nintendo has been doing this since the dawn of time, it's called nostalgia marketing, where i up the resolution of an ancient game, then sell it as a new experience, knowing full well it's gonna bomb the market even with piracy and emulation around.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I can go to CEX right now and buy RDR GOTY with Undead Nightmare included for £18/$23, and play it upscaled to 4K - just like this release it has no “visual improvements” either. Rockstar knows this, which is why they’re only releasing it on PS4 and Switch. It’s not “commercially accurate”, £25/$32 would be easier to justify, how much do they expect customers to pay for a cellophane wrapper? It’s not even updated for PS5, so I don’t expect amazing performance. It’s just silly, I’ll grab it pre-owned, thanks.
I don't see what's wrong either, Nintendo has been doing this since the dawn of time, it's called nostalgia marketing, where i up the resolution of an ancient game, then sell it as a new experience, knowing full well it's gonna bomb the market even with piracy and emulation around.
The difference is that the game is readily available on another contemporary platform. They’re not bringing back an otherwise unavailable game out of the vault, anyone can play it right now.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
commercially ripoffurate more like especially when it's going to run like garbage on that tablet

Why do you make so many completely thoughtless posts? There's no reason to think a PS3/360 era title will run like garbage on the Switch. Other ports from that era are proof that it should run just fine.

• Haha
Reactions: Lycan911 and tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
$50 to fleece the whales with too much money.

Discount it over time, and everyone pays the price that they are willing.

I mean, you've waited how many years for this?

You can wait longer, or protest buying it.

I doubt they'll lose money over it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup