Red Dead Redemption heads to Switch and PS4, but will not be a remaster, and will not release on PC

Rockstar is finally bringing its beloved Red Dead Redemption to new platforms, but it's not in the way that most fans expected. Red Dead Redemption, and its Undead Nightmare expansion are getting a modern release on the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. Studio Double Eleven is working on this version of the game, which exists as a port rather than a remaster, with Rockstar referring to it as a "conversion". There will not be a native PlayStation 5 release of Red Dead Redemption, though the PS4 game will be backwards compatible and work on the PlayStation 5. PC players who have clamored for the game appear to have been ignored, with no PC port announced. Red Dead Redemption will retail both physically and digitally for $49.99, with a launch date of August 17th.

Experience the epic Western adventure Red Dead Redemption and its groundbreaking zombie-horror companion, Undead Nightmare, as both games come to the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 for the very first time in a single package. In a new conversion by Double Eleven Studios, the Switch and PS4 versions bring the two classic experiences together again for both new players and original fans to enjoy across modern consoles, including backwards compatibility with the PlayStation 5.

One of the most critically acclaimed games of all time with over 170 Game of the Year Awards, Red Dead Redemption tells the story of former outlaw John Marston as he journeys across the sprawling expanses of the American West and Mexico to track down the last remaining members of the notorious Van der Linde Gang in a bid to save his family. Relive, or experience for the first time, the events immediately following the epic tale of honor and loyalty in the 2018 blockbuster Red Dead Redemption 2 as Marston hunts down his former friends and outlaws Bill Williamson, Javier Escuella, and his former gang leader, Dutch van der Linde as the era of the cowboy comes to its end.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Actually Groove Street Games proved with other ports that they can do a good job. But for some reason their GTA release was bad and I wouldn't be surprised that Take-Two is to blame here.

It would be nice to add info to news that game will get support for new languages:
Simplified and Traditional Chinese, Korean, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, and Latin American Spanish.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks about the same as I remember it on PS3/360 and that's not a bad thing at all, I'm just wondering at what fps will it run on the Switch. ha ha

Also, if I recall correctly Redemption made use of the analog triggers, but since the Switch has digital triggers that'll have to be dumbed down to an ON/OFF button.

Switch's Trailer:

I'm guessing they'll make some sacrifices. lol

I personally think the original holds up pretty well. A bit pricey, and a remaster would be nice, but it's good to see the game be more accessible to modern console folk.
Remasters can be good though if the original is ported with some improvements then I'm fine with it, too. Moreover, I played Red Dead Revolver on PS4 (PS2 game upscaled to 1080p) and it wasn't remastered or anything and I had a blast because the gameplay was a ton of fun and it still looked great.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Rockstar is finally bringing its beloved Red Dead Redemption to new platforms, but it's not in the way that most fans expected. Red Dead Redemption, and its Undead Nightmare expansion are getting a modern release on the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. Studio Double Eleven is working on this version of the game, which exists as a port rather than a remaster, with Rockstar referring to it as a "conversion". There will not be a native PlayStation 5 release of Red Dead Redemption, though the PS4 game will be backwards compatible and work on the PlayStation 5. PC players who have clamored for the game appear to have been ignored, with no PC port announced. Red Dead Redemption will retail both physically and digitally for $49.99, with a launch date of August 17th.

Yep, definitely still Rockstar.

Reactions: yoyoyo69

krakenx

Trophies
XP
Country
Expect a PC port in about a year. The PC version is generally the best version, so companies wait to release it to get console sales first for people who would otherwise just buy the PC version and be done. Piracy is also a risk on PC.

The AAA game industry has mastered double dipping.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Expect a PC port in about a year. The PC version is generally the best version, so companies wait to release it to get console sales first for people who would otherwise just buy the PC version and be done. Piracy is also a risk on PC.

The AAA game industry has mastered double dipping.
$50 for this? That's a high price for a product that may not even be at 60fps and/or 1080p and on the Switch... Have low expectations.

Regardless, will it be profitable? Yeah, it's Red Dead Redemption. I wouldn't pay that, though.

Reactions: yoyoyo69

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto