Red Dead Redemption heads to Switch and PS4, but will not be a remaster, and will not release on PC

Rockstar is finally bringing its beloved Red Dead Redemption to new platforms, but it's not in the way that most fans expected. Red Dead Redemption, and its Undead Nightmare expansion are getting a modern release on the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. Studio Double Eleven is working on this version of the game, which exists as a port rather than a remaster, with Rockstar referring to it as a "conversion". There will not be a native PlayStation 5 release of Red Dead Redemption, though the PS4 game will be backwards compatible and work on the PlayStation 5. PC players who have clamored for the game appear to have been ignored, with no PC port announced. Red Dead Redemption will retail both physically and digitally for $49.99, with a launch date of August 17th.

Experience the epic Western adventure Red Dead Redemption and its groundbreaking zombie-horror companion, Undead Nightmare, as both games come to the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 for the very first time in a single package. In a new conversion by Double Eleven Studios, the Switch and PS4 versions bring the two classic experiences together again for both new players and original fans to enjoy across modern consoles, including backwards compatibility with the PlayStation 5.

One of the most critically acclaimed games of all time with over 170 Game of the Year Awards, Red Dead Redemption tells the story of former outlaw John Marston as he journeys across the sprawling expanses of the American West and Mexico to track down the last remaining members of the notorious Van der Linde Gang in a bid to save his family. Relive, or experience for the first time, the events immediately following the epic tale of honor and loyalty in the 2018 blockbuster Red Dead Redemption 2 as Marston hunts down his former friends and outlaws Bill Williamson, Javier Escuella, and his former gang leader, Dutch van der Linde as the era of the cowboy comes to its end.

ChronosNotashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh no there are alot of games that you cant play with the cartridge since the games are not complete at all

Spyro trilogy
borderland trylogy(2 and 3)
LA noir
wolfenstein 2 new colossus
bioshock collection
mortal kombat 11
NBA2k games
just from the top of my head there are more where the games are not complete or not all games on the collection are on the cartridge.
To be fair, I honestly did forget about the 2K/EA sports games, but that's mostly because I don't really care about sports games. Couldn't even be bothered to spend the time needed to download and play the one that they had for the game trial one time.

That being said, all of the games you noted are either fairly-large third-party games (MK11 being >32GB base) or collections of multiple third-party games, and/or the publishers didn't bother with larger cartridge sizes (typically to avoid paying extra on physical production, especially if not expecting high physical sales compared to digital). I can understand Gearbox requiring an additional download for the Borderlands Legendary Collection, since just Borderlands 1 alone is about 15-16GB, and the full collection is likely too large for even a 64GB cartridge to hold all of it. But unless Activision is being deceptive with the online store page and the full size of the Spyro trilogy on Switch is 2-3x what's listed (15.1 GB), it should fit just fine on a 16GB cartridge, with the only potential reason for it not being on one (assuming it's not larger than 16GB) is Activision being cheap.

I can only hope that Rockstar won't be as stingy and actually consider putting RDR on cartridges big enough to hold the base game + DLC (shouldn't even need any bigger than a 16GB cartridge for each physical copy). But given how they handled the GTA Trilogy, my expectations are reasonably low.

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To be fair, I honestly did forget about the 2K/EA sports games, but that's mostly because I don't really care about sports games. Couldn't even be bothered to spend the time needed to download and play the one that they had for the game trial one time.

That being said, all of the games you noted are either fairly-large third-party games (MK11 being >32GB base) or collections of multiple third-party games, and/or the publishers didn't bother with larger cartridge sizes (typically to avoid paying extra on physical production, especially if not expecting high physical sales compared to digital). I can understand Gearbox requiring an additional download for the Borderlands Legendary Collection, since just Borderlands 1 alone is about 15-16GB, and the full collection is likely too large for even a 64GB cartridge to hold all of it. But unless Activision is being deceptive with the online store page and the full size of the Spyro trilogy on Switch is 2-3x what's listed (15.1 GB), it should fit just fine on a 16GB cartridge, with the only potential reason for it not being on one (assuming it's not larger than 16GB) is Activision being cheap.

I can only hope that Rockstar won't be as stingy and actually consider putting RDR on cartridges big enough to hold the base game + DLC (shouldn't even need any bigger than a 16GB cartridge for each physical copy). But given how they handled the GTA Trilogy, my expectations are reasonably low.
LA noire is a rockstar game

Reactions: Marc_LFD

ChronosNotashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LA noire is a rockstar game
And based on Nintendo's store page for the game, was ported to Switch Nov 14, 2017. GTA Trilogy, however, was released Nov 11, 2021, almost exactly 4 years later. I think I'll set my base expectations for the RDR port based on the more recently released of the two.

Last edited by ChronosNotashi,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lolw hat are you talkning about? what nintendo first party game was released in parts and require downloads? all nintendo 1st party phyical games are completable from beggining to end on cartridge, you never need to download anything to play the whole game.
Mario Strikers Battle League (barebones incomplete game), Zelda Breath of the Wild (there is a Complete Edition in Japan), Smash, Fire Emblem Engage, etc.

I guess you'll say "it's optional," but the point is to have a complete release which they could do after it's out and for most of them, they don't do. Switch 2 will probably have them all GotY-fied.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Mario Strikers Battle League (barebones incomplete game), Zelda Breath of the Wild (there is a Complete Edition in Japan), Smash, Fire Emblem Engage, etc.

I guess you'll say "it's optional," but the point is to have a complete release which they could do after it's out and for most of them, they don't do. Switch 2 will probably have them all GotY-fied.
are you really saying dlc makes a game be incomplete? lol botw was complete, the complete edition is just two dlcs that dont even add anything to the story going forward...

DLC is DLC a game that has dlc does not mean its an incomplete game on release ffs, so if ztok gets dlc in the future it will be incomplete by your own words lol

smash ultimate again was complete... they just kept adding more dlc what you say makes no sence. DLC does not make a game be incomplete on release.

Most games get dlc nowadays look at mario kart 8 it was "complete" during years and then nintendo decided to release more tracks and racers for it, is it now an incomplete game too? lol even if it was complete during like 4 years? that logic makes no sense at all.

We are talking about games that you cant finish the story on cartridge becuase the game is not there, you need to download to get to the end of the base game.

Reactions: ChronosNotashi

ChronosNotashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Honestly, I looked up the "Complete Edition" for Breath of the Wild, and it's basically just a physical copy of Breath of the Wild with the Expansion Pass included (about the same base price as getting the game+DLC, too, when converting to USD and not including any import upcharge). Plus it was released in 2021, years after both Expansion Pass waves were released. The physical copies of Pokemon Sword/Shield Plus Expansion Pass are the same, right down to being released after all content for said Expansion Pass was released. Only thing with BotW Complete Edition is that it's still currently a Japan exclusive, with nothing indicating a Western release.

Can't entirely say for the others, but honestly it's best to check the package details / store page to determine if an additional download is required to play. If it doesn't say that an additional download is required, then unless it's a third-party publisher being deceptive (moreso if you have to check the small print to confirm if a download is required), then any downloading is more likely to be day 1 patches or post-launch update data (ex: DLC fighter data for Smash to allow for playing against DLC fighters / on DLC stages online without needing the DLC), with the base game content all being on the cartridge.

That said, I will say that Mario Strikers Battle League is way too small for any part of the base game data/content to be relegated to an additional download (about 2.8GB on store page, though that's likely including day 1 patches/fixes, so actual base size may be smaller).

P.S. Obviously, most of what's being noted here does not take DLC into consideration unless it's a physical edition that includes the DLC. That said, needing DLC to feel that you're getting the "complete" experience is different from whether or not the complete, pre-DLC base game is all on the cartridge before day 1 patches and updates are factored in (since not every game is going to have post-launch support, especially if it's like Blaster Master Zero 3 where no DLC/post-launch content was planned in the first place).

Reactions: pedro702

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
For example, BotW Complete is Japan-only or is there a Western release?
that is for paid dlc and no there isnt.paid dlc you need a "special" physical edition to have acess to it, but games that had free dlc through patches you just need a reprinted cartridge.there are complete cartridges of zelda botw on usa and europe but you dont have the key to unlock the dlc because they arent the complete edition so you will have to got to eshop and buy the season pass even tough all the data is on the cartridge already, the eshop will just be a key download, jap version has the key and unlocks the dlc on boot.

you can get reprinted cartridges of mario golf, mario teenis, kirbystar allies game where all the free dlc they added via updates is already on the cartridge,heck there is even updated pokemon snap cartridges with the new pokemons and locations in there, any free dlc that nintendo makes will get reprinted on the cartridge latter since they actually reprint their cartridges with newer patches everytime they do a new print run for more info check this not all revisions were fund, we find more revisions of cartridges everyday its a facebook group if you wanna join called nintendo revised.

you can see if you have a reprinted cartridge by looking at the back the last 3 numbers are the revision first one is 000 second is 001 and so on, some games like xenoblade already got 6 revisions so they are on 006 other get full becuase the first time they were reprinted they got all the updates already and etc.

Last edited by pedro702,

ChronosNotashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is for paid dlc and no there isnt.paid dlc you need a "special" physical edition to have acess to it, but games that had free dlc through patches you just need a reprinted cartridge.there are complete cartridges of zelda botw on usa and europe but you dont have the key to unlock the dlc because they arent the complete edition so you will have to got to eshop and buy the season pass even tough all the data is on the cartridge already, the eshop will just be a key download, jap version has the key and unlocks the dlc on boot.

you can get reprinted cartridges of mario golf, mario teenis, kirbystar allies game where all the free dlc they added via updates is already on the cartridge,heck there is even updated pokemon snap cartridges with the new pokemons and locations in there, any free dlc that nintendo makes will get reprinted on the cartridge latter since they actually reprint their cartridges with newer patches everytime they do a new print run for more info check this not all revisions were fund, we find more revisions of cartridges everyday its a facebook group if you wanna join called nintendo revised.

you can see if you have a reprinted cartridge by looking at the back the last 3 numbers are the revision first one is 000 second is 001 and so on, some games like xenoblade already got 6 revisions so they are on 006 other get full becuase the first time they were reprinted they got all the updates already and etc.

You know, checking the "Third-party/Indie" section of the list you shared, the GTA Trilogy notes Vice City as a required download for physical cartridges. Which has lowered my expectations for the RDR port even further, because it shows that Rockstar when the really cheap route for the GTA Trilogy, and settled for the smallest cartridge size Nintendo offered while choosing to let consumers' Internet services handle the rest.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
are you really saying dlc makes a game be incomplete? lol botw was complete, the complete edition is just two dlcs that dont even add anything to the story going forward...

DLC is DLC a game that has dlc does not mean its an incomplete game on release ffs, so if ztok gets dlc in the future it will be incomplete by your own words lol

smash ultimate again was complete... they just kept adding more dlc what you say makes no sence. DLC does not make a game be incomplete on release.

Most games get dlc nowadays look at mario kart 8 it was "complete" during years and then nintendo decided to release more tracks and racers for it, is it now an incomplete game too? lol even if it was complete during like 4 years? that logic makes no sense at all.

We are talking about games that you cant finish the story on cartridge becuase the game is not there, you need to download to get to the end of the base game.

FFXV is incomplete no matter how many DLC they released for it. So there is that kind of situation. MMORPGs are seemingly never complete.

ChronosNotashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FFXV is incomplete no matter how many DLC they released for it. So there is that kind of situation. MMORPGs are seemingly never complete.
Yeah, and FFXV was a situation where, iirc, they deliberately left the base game open in a lot of places so that DLC would be needed to explain everything...and then the remaining few bits of said DLC were cancelled. So that story's never getting completed at all, and the base game story was incomplete by design. At least Breath of the Wild's DLC is just extra bits without any huge lore to them (more just expanding on the Champions), and the base game's story doesn't have holes/rushed segments that require DLC to explain them.

Mostly head-on with the MMORPGs part, and that's mainly because of the nature of MMORPGs in general. You could bring a long-stretching arc to its eventual conclusion (pretty sure FFXIV did that with its most recent expansion), but unless you have enough funds to keep the game like that going forward (or have plans for an Offline version), have to keep things going in order to keep people playing. That said, can be an entirely new arc/story instead of continuing one that's received a proper resolution.

Reactions: tabzer

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You know, checking the "Third-party/Indie" section of the list you shared, the GTA Trilogy notes Vice City as a required download for physical cartridges. Which has lowered my expectations for the RDR port even further, because it shows that Rockstar when the really cheap route for the GTA Trilogy, and settled for the smallest cartridge size Nintendo offered while choosing to let consumers' Internet services handle the rest.
they didnt went for the smallest for gta trilogy they went for 16gb one since all 3 would be over 16gb so they would need a 32gb cartridge which no dev pays with very rare exceptions.

battlecatsahead

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hope they'll change their mind and cancel this boring abomination with no gameplay
just because it doesnt look on par with modern game doesnt mean its not one of the greatest games of all time.
Post automatically merged:

Or I could just get the PS3 game for like $6. Oh wait I already have it.
not everyone has a ps3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto