Red Dead Redemption heads to Switch and PS4, but will not be a remaster, and will not release on PC

Rockstar is finally bringing its beloved Red Dead Redemption to new platforms, but it's not in the way that most fans expected. Red Dead Redemption, and its Undead Nightmare expansion are getting a modern release on the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. Studio Double Eleven is working on this version of the game, which exists as a port rather than a remaster, with Rockstar referring to it as a "conversion". There will not be a native PlayStation 5 release of Red Dead Redemption, though the PS4 game will be backwards compatible and work on the PlayStation 5. PC players who have clamored for the game appear to have been ignored, with no PC port announced. Red Dead Redemption will retail both physically and digitally for $49.99, with a launch date of August 17th.

Experience the epic Western adventure Red Dead Redemption and its groundbreaking zombie-horror companion, Undead Nightmare, as both games come to the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 for the very first time in a single package. In a new conversion by Double Eleven Studios, the Switch and PS4 versions bring the two classic experiences together again for both new players and original fans to enjoy across modern consoles, including backwards compatibility with the PlayStation 5.

One of the most critically acclaimed games of all time with over 170 Game of the Year Awards, Red Dead Redemption tells the story of former outlaw John Marston as he journeys across the sprawling expanses of the American West and Mexico to track down the last remaining members of the notorious Van der Linde Gang in a bid to save his family. Relive, or experience for the first time, the events immediately following the epic tale of honor and loyalty in the 2018 blockbuster Red Dead Redemption 2 as Marston hunts down his former friends and outlaws Bill Williamson, Javier Escuella, and his former gang leader, Dutch van der Linde as the era of the cowboy comes to its end.

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I have never played it, I guess this is the perfect time. I don't know if it is a good or bad game, but I have definitely heard about it many many times.

Now, I will try to look into it without the "fps" or "it's only 720!!" and shit. I grew up with the NES and I hate when people whine about those things. If a game is playable and is well made, enjoy it. Don't dissect it trying to find any flaw. (If a game is shit and poorly made, then yes, we need to raise our voices.)

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It runs better on Xenia at lower resolutions (720p on lower) on older cards/cpus.
At higher resolutions or newer hardware, it runs better on RPCS3, judging by the contents of the video you posted.

More detailed video. Basically you want to play it on Xenia whatever the hardware/resolution.

EDIT: My thoughts... good game, better than the second that's for sure. $50 tho.... on Switch, since it's for the first time, mayb...nah, still too much. $40, yeah why not.
But $50 on PS4? HAH!

Last edited by mightymuffy,
Reactions: AlexMCS

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The people who fucked up the remasters were Rockstar themselves. Who the hell gives a small company with 20 employees less than 2 years to remaster 3 games using a completely new engine? Just GTA 3 should have taken 2 years.

For what it's worth, Grove Street Games did an amazing job considering how limited their time and resources were and how overworked they must have been.

You also have to consider that it was Rockstar who looked at those remasters and said "yeah we can release this".
I've got no ill will towards any of the developers, as usual the blame is entirely on the management team not being able to tell Rockstar to get bent when they come with any dumb bullshit requests like remastering a trilogy in only 2 years.
And that is something I also firmly believe Double Eleven Studios can fuck up just as much.

Morricorne

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Never played Any RDR game. But taketwo thanks for posibility to emulate switch version on yuzu on steam deck. They don't want my money for pc version. Fine i emulate switch version on my steam deck

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never played Any RDR game. But taketwo thanks for posibility to emulate switch version on yuzu on steam deck. They don't want my money for pc version. Fine i emulate switch version on my steam deck
You should definitely try Red Dead Revolver if you like Spaghetti Western.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it'll be a demaster for the switch
It should run just fine if it's a port. The game really isn't as impressive 13ish years later. The only way they can mess it up is if they really fuck up the code or something, cause it was a PS3 game.

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
It should run just fine if it's a port. The game really isn't as impressive 13ish years later. The only way they can mess it up is if they really fuck up the code or something, cause it was a PS3 game.
You do realize by now that the switch is worse in performance than a ps3, right ? Or have you seen none of it's third party ports ? It's not a hardware issue, it's an architecture one.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HD Rumble and Joy-Con motion sensor aiming would be cool, now, is it gonna happen? Probably not.

HD Rumble seems to have been forgotten about and the one "game" that made great use of it was 1-2 Switch.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
l
You do realize by now that the switch is worse in performance than a ps3, right ? Or have you seen none of it's third party ports ? It's not a hardware issue, it's an architecture one.
There are a lot of things that run just fine on it. It's only poorly optimized stuff and stuff made in Unity I've seen noticeable issues with, and some of Koei's ports which may fall into one if not both of the aforementioned categories.

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$50 for this? That's a high price for a product that may not even be at 60fps and/or 1080p and on the Switch... Have low expectations.

Regardless, will it be profitable? Yeah, it's Red Dead Redemption. I wouldn't pay that, though.
ha, you say may as if theres a chance it can run and look well, lmfao

ChronosNotashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll probably come later, RDR2 took two years to come to PC
Post automatically merged:

RDR is a PS3/360 game so the Switch can definitely run it
I know that, it's just that the Switch port will probably still be botched somehow. lol
Post automatically merged:

"Now running at 60fps 1080p." lmao
I mean, the Switch is able to run games like Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition just fine, with the only real "slowdown" being when there's a lot of units+animations on-screen when playing Co-Op (and that's always been a thing with KOEI TECMO's Warriors titles), and that was technically a PS3/360 game (with the PC ports and beyond based on that version). So the Switch is able to handle PS3 games just fine, assuming it's not a game that pushed even the PS3's limits.

That being said, it's still entirely possible that they'll botch the porting job with RDR and it'll have problems on all platforms. And regarding the "60fps" part, whether or not there's even a chance it'll be 60 FPS on even the PS4/PS5 without breaking stuff is going to depend on how the game was coded (since it's a port, and not a remake/rebuild). I know that Okami HD (an HD port of the original PS2 title) is locked to 30 FPS, even on the consoles that can handle 60 FPS, simply because increasing the game to 60 FPS would speed up the game's internal clock to twice the normal speed. Which would mess with combat actions and time-sensitive objectives, among other things (as it was common up to at least the end of the PS2's cycle to tie a game's internal clock to the expected frame rate). Only real way to provide proper 60 FPS to a game that requires 30 FPS for the internal clock (instead of a filter that "fakes" 60 FPS) would be to rebuild the entire game.

Last edited by ChronosNotashi,

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
...Studio Double Eleven is working on a port rather than a remaster, with Rockstar referring to it as a "conversion"...retail both physically and digitally for $49.99...

I have 2 Ps3 copies of this game, the base version plus the GOTY edition I bought to access the Undead DLC, so R* thinks I'll cough up more dough for a Nintendont Switch "Port" ported to a Ps4? LMFAO

17hitcombooo

Officer Balls.... BWAAHAHAHAH
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
funny that on xbox you can buy the base game for 30 bones and buy the undead dlc for 10 more, and it's still less expensive than what rockstar is doing for the switch lmao

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5