WiiMC-SS - GameCube controller support and more

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by SuperrSonic, May 2, 2017.

1. SuperrSonic
    OP

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011
    Hello there, I've been maintaining a personal version of WiiMC, at the time I just wanted to correct the aspect ratio in 4:3 mode (672->704) and remove deflicker filtering. But soon after, I started experimenting and looking for features I never use and remove them to increase memory. I removed the picture viewer, NTFS/EXT libs, themes, and disabled a large amount of codecs.

I allocated more memory for the GUI, and added some new things:

[​IMG]

-Enabled ADX audio decoding

I mean this is a gaming console so why not support game music formats?
    A limitation in ffmpeg prevents proper decoding of 48000Hz ADX files. (NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams)
    Tested ADX files from TWEWY (16364Hz), Sonic Unleashed (32000Hz), and ADX files made with adxencd.
    Sonic Gems also uses 48000Hz, yet they play fine.

-GameCube controller support

Every button from the wiimote (Form Baton) is currently mapped.
    Please note that there are still some things that require the pointer.

-The option to disable the H.264 deblock filter on a per video basis

To disable simply change the extension of your video to ".dash".
    Disabling this increases decoding speed a lot, but decreases visual quality, however depending on the video you can get away with it quite well. Keep in mind that the Netflix app for Wii does this for both main and baseline profiles.

-Added an option to enable the volume normalizer audio filter.
    -Added an option to always zoom videos to 4:3 ratio. (H zoom should be ~133%)
    -Added an option to enable deflicker, 480i and 480p supported.
    To use these options, start WiiMC-SS, exit, open settings.xml and you will see three new entries in the videos section. Their value will default to "0", change it to "1" to enable.
    Or set it to "2" to enable volnorm method 2.

-240p mode. To use this video mode, you must load WiiMC-SS with arguments:
    One argument = NTSC
    Two arguments = PAL
    Three arguments = PAL-M

-Download-

Update June 17: A fix for certain videos that would hang if using frameskip.
    Update June 10: Added a full version including all the features of WiiMC-SS, without removing anything.

Image Gallery

Last edited by SuperrSonic, Jun 17, 2017 - Reason: Minor update

2. gothicall

gothicall Blah blah blah!

Apr 29, 2010
    Colombia
    Seems interesting, what else do you plan to add in the future? Could you maybe add some streaming urls or fix youtube again?

Tarmfot likes this.
  3. SuperrSonic
    OP

Dec 9, 2011
    I have released an update.

Ever since WiiMC version 1.1.4, H.264 decoding had been plagued by a rare glitch that makes any encode show white/grayish blocking that felt unsettling, I managed to track down the cause, it was one of the paired single optimizations merged from MPlayer CE (which shows the exact same artifacts). Since I don't know where the problem lies I just removed it, luckily it's not exactly needed. From my test videos I couldn't notice a difference in performance.

I also decided to include the extra versions as settings so only one build is needed. This was a problem before because in regards to the 240p option, due to WiiMC loading the settings file after the gui has shown up, it would cause a number of issues. I needed an easy way to change the starting video mode instead of forcing a switch. The solution I picked was to set a number of useless arguments that WiiMC would get and act accordingly. As such you can just add an argument to your meta.xml, like say: <arg>--240p</arg> and it will use NTSC 240p.

I have edited the op with more info and added a video that demonstrates the H.264 glitch. In the video I used an x264 encode and a free iTunes episode. I did change a lot of things and haven't been able to test thoroughly so hopefully I didn't break anything.

Nothing fancy. Later on I might make a version without removing any features. Streaming urls should be provided by the user not the program, youtube support is not in my plans, and it was one of the first things I removed.

Brawl345, niuus and rogerioronin like this.
  4. justjack

justjack GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    LOL, I'm currently watching PR in Space with MPlayer CE because it supports the GameCube controller and I don't have batteries in my Wiimote to use WiiMC. I'm gonna switch to your version of WiiMC now :)

Thank you for doing this.

SuperrSonic likes this.
  5. newo

newo GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    Jamaica
    I like that people are still working on wii-homebrew. Will check it out. Anything is better than the youtube channel right now.

*edit The youtube and youtube search said "error opening file!". is this functionality still in there?

Last edited by newo, May 8, 2017
  6. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Does this have any of the WiiMC+ features? Specifically the ability to turn on shuffle/random for videos to play after the one you're currently watching? I still use WiiMC+ on the TV in my room for when I go to bed at night, typically watching South Park on random. I'll certainly update to this version if it includes at least that key feature.

Last edited by duffmmann, May 8, 2017
  7. SuperrSonic
    OP

Dec 9, 2011
    I never said I fixed youtube support, I only stated that large downloaded youtube encodes(VP8) would hang when using framedropping.
    That kind of information would be in the op. I don't mind adding it if source is provided though.

8. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I'm not sure if the WiiMC+ source was ever provided or not, I'm looking through their forums: http://www.wiimc.org/forums/forum/third-party-enhancements/wiimc-enhancement-pack/ but having trouble finding any source info.

9. SuperrSonic
    OP

Dec 9, 2011
    Well you can still do it the rough way, write several video playlists, randomize as needed, and enable autoplay next video. Some might say this is the better way since it's not limited to one folder.

10. TheDimensioner

TheDimensioner Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2016
    Brazil
    Hi, lately I've been doing tons of re-encodes of h.264 files, and I've just found the "perfect" settings for the original player: for 16:9, I use profile High@L3, 704x396, CABAC disabled, 3 ReFrames and 2 bframes. Other options are for very fast encoding speed profile on XMediaRecode (.mkv). It gives a giant file coming from a 720p anime, almost 90% of the original file size, but at least it won't drop frames during "noisy" flashbacks, or continuous fancy effects. It took me a long time to "find" this settings, and I didn't know that CABAC caused a high CPU usage for the decoder.

Thing is, I'm using a CRT with component cables, and it's 480i only. It causes those "lines" blur during horizontal movement, and although I got used to it, I got kind of excited with this 240p mode. I know it wouldn't make a difference regarding refresh rate, since the tube is still 60hz and the files are 23.976fps, but maybe there would be less flicker that way? Do I need to encode the video in 240p (say, 428x240 for 16:9, or 320x240 for 4:3), or does the player automatically downscales, and is there a performance impact? Also, my TV is Brazilian, would adding 240p "PAL-M" make any difference (I don't know what the "arguments" mean, so I wouldn't know how to do it XD)? I would like to try interlaced encoding as well, but the WiiMC on WiiBrew page said it wouldn't support that. Maybe playing an interlaced video would look better on an interlaced signal... Would your mod support that?

I've also tried encoding a 60FPS file from YouTube, but the lowest resolution still caused framedrops. Does adding .dash to the file improve performance for 60FPS as well? It's the only way to watch things on that TV without the blur (same with 60 vs. 30 FPS games).

Also, thanks for adding GameCube controller support. WiiMC "eats" the Wii Remote batteries, it turns it off automatically every minute without use or so, and when turning it on for pausing (I can't read some subtitles fast enough XD), it seems to activate every function of the controller, like IR camera and gyroscope, unlike games that use the Wii Remote horizontaly, it disables those functions so it saves battery charge. Although Media Player CE already supported the GC controller, I didn't like it because it couldn't save my settings, like image resize (to compensate for the tube's overscan, that would cut every side), and the last folder used.

11. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2009
    What about people like me that like using this because it had a picture viewer, seeing it being a multimedia program i'd like to have it in my WiiMC

12. Sticksandstones

Sticksandstones GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    United States
    Keep OG WiiMC in a separate folder in sd:\apps\. In fact, just copy your current WiiMC folder and replace one boot.dol with a different one, and edit meta.xml to prevent confusion when launching from HBC.
    There are other programs like WiiXplorer which also support image viewing.

Anyway HOLY CRAP THIS IS GREAT YEEEEEEE
    I've long desired the ability to use GC controller with this. I like saving Wiimote power whenever possible and I tend to use WiiMC quite a lot, so this is highly appreciated!

I've also started a thread in the past dedicated to adding a whole bunch of radio channels to WiiMC's onlinemedia list while ShoutCAST was down, but since ShoutCAST is working properly right now, that's not truly necessary at this point, but it's there for anyone who may need it for any reason at all.

At this point, all WiiMC needs is YouTube support preferably by June when the official YouTube channel is no longer supported.

Last edited by Sticksandstones, May 14, 2017
  13. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    hey since i cant pm you im asking this here, you on youtube made a nintendont mod that you said that would stop the beeping noises on ssbm and such any chance you share the source code of your changes? since you did not upload it to your github fork?

14. Sticksandstones

Sticksandstones GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    United States
    For some reason, this mod hates FLACs. If I run one, it'll play for 0.2sec and then stop as if the file was finished playing.

15. rchrdcrg

rchrdcrg Newbie

Newcomer
    May 27, 2017
    United States
    I was really excited when I saw 240p support! I just love that authentic scanline look on an old CRT, and I was excited to get to watch SD videos that way... kinda reminiscent of FMVs on old consoles :-P
    The only problem is I don't understand your instructions at all ;) I edited the meta.xml file and threw in <arg>--240p</arg>, but it had no effect, and the instructions in the OP mention adding arguments but don't actually say what those arguments are or how to add them. Really thankful for the release, but I'd love just a little more info on how to use it! ^_^
    I figured it out! I just wasn't familiar with what was going on cuz I'm a n00b... for the other newbs, the meta.xml is info for Homebrew Launcher, and you need to add an arguments section to the file and then your arguments in between like this:
    <arguments>
    <arg>--240p</arg>
    </arguments>
    Probably super obvious to folks who do this stuff on the regular, but figured I'd help out anyone who was as lost as I was, haha!

Last edited by rchrdcrg, May 27, 2017
  16. ExData7

ExData7 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2017
    United States
    can you add back ntsf support?

17. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Seconded, I don't use WiiMC myself but FAT32 is limited to files less than 4GB and a lot of videos are larger than that.

18. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    ...that are playable on the Wii? :)

19. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    DVD ISO dumps, or MPEG-2 videos.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jun 1, 2017
    rogerioronin likes this.
  20. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Handbrake. :P