GameCube Games issues on Nintendont.

ApeApe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, very new here. Apologies if I made this post wrong, very annoyed with the problem.
I modded my Wii about a year ago, no issues then. After doing so, I had not used it for a while. All Wii games work via USB Loader GX (ver.3 something). No games are on SD (16gb San Disk/80mbs). 2 USB sticks are used for GC games (32gb Lexar, was working when first modded) , nothing else. All GC games are in ISO form, I was using 249, but that caused some issues after updating nintendont to most recent- changed to 251 fixed-ish. Now to actual problem, Pikmin and Legend of Zelda Wind Waker are not working. Games freeze/crash on black screen. (All gained from vimms lair)
PIkmin: I have to be lucky if I get past the Nintendo Logo. I get met with black screen, and I waited to no avail, requiring me to power off. If I do so, then getting to the save file is also luck, where the same problem comes up again.
Zelda: Similar issue with Pikmin. The will almost always show Nintendo Logo and Dolby Logo, but thats it. After 2 logos its a black screen, sometimes I can exit by pressing home.

NOTE: For settings, I dont have force widescreen or anything like it enabled.

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendont should be using the stock IOS 58, whatever cIOS settings are in USB Loader GX shouldn't matter.

USB flash drives are known to be problematic, as are any file formats besides a 1:1 ISO dump -- so if you pirated the games, most likely they would need to be converted back to ISO and verified against good dumps on Redump, rather than simply renaming them to .iso files.

Try placing one of the games on your SD card and loading it from there to see if that works.

The format you should be using, for either the SD card or a USB drive, is FAT32 with 32k clusters. If that's not it then you may need to reformat. Did you copy the games over manually or did you use GameCube Backup Manager? There are settings in GCBM that can mess up compatibility for the games if you used them.

ApeApe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendont should be using the stock IOS 58, whatever cIOS settings are in USB Loader GX shouldn't matter.

USB flash drives are known to be problematic, as are any file formats besides a 1:1 ISO dump -- so if you pirated the games, most likely they would need to be converted back to ISO and verified against good dumps on Redump, rather than simply renaming them to .iso files.

Try placing one of the games on your SD card and loading it from there to see if that works.

The format you should be using, for either the SD card or a USB drive, is FAT32 with 32k clusters. If that's not it then you may need to reformat. Did you copy the games over manually or did you use GameCube Backup Manager? There are settings in GCBM that can mess up compatibility for the games if you used them.
When I got the games they were Nkit Isos and I had to convert them to ISOs. I did use GUI format for them to be fat32 32k. I will test the sd card later. I am uncertain about what you mean with copying the games manually, and I don't think I used GCBM.
Post automatically merged:

Lexar USB's are a better & more successful brand for the Wii.

Do the GC games show up in USBL GX ?
Yes, though they won't open from that way. I didn't put that file in.

Hello again, I have just tested the games via dolphin. They work that way

Last edited by ApeApe,

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You should use ciso files.

They work for me on an USB stick 4go, with Nintendont 6.499 through ULGX r1281, by just renaming the file extension from .ciso to .iso (because old versions of ULGX didn't see ciso files, but I think it's not needed anymore to do that with r1281 version).

Note: Nintendont can read directly ciso files.

ApeApe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Tested on sd, working, but i dont trust getting a large sd card for the wii to play all the gc games I have.

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tested on sd, working, but i dont trust getting a large sd card for the wii to play all the gc games I have.
Mostly I asked in order to see if the issue was with the flash drive (or, potentially, the USB port itself). It does appear to be an issue with the USB flash drives, based on the games working when loaded from SD card.

Most people will recommend getting an external HDD to use, and if you've got a lot of GameCube and/or Wii games I'd agree with that recommendation.

Alternatively, if it's just those 2 games that aren't working on the USB flash drives, you could play those from SD card and the rest from the flash drive.

ApeApe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mostly I asked in order to see if the issue was with the flash drive (or, potentially, the USB port itself). It does appear to be an issue with the USB flash drives, based on the games working when loaded from SD card.

Most people will recommend getting an external HDD to use, and if you've got a lot of GameCube and/or Wii games I'd agree with that recommendation.

Alternatively, if it's just those 2 games that aren't working on the USB flash drives, you could play those from SD card and the rest from the flash drive.
I'm not fully sure if it's the USB because Dolphin had no issue reading the game on the USB

You should use ciso files.

They work for me on an USB stick 4go, with Nintendont 6.499 through ULGX r1281, by just renaming the file extension from .ciso to .iso (because old versions of ULGX didn't see ciso files, but I think it's not needed anymore to do that with r1281 version).

Note: Nintendont can read directly ciso files.
That didn't work either, but thanks.

Something I have been forgetting is the other USB, tested that and its perfectly fine, all games open. No issues with controller, games, or the wii emulating a mem card. Odd.

Last edited by ApeApe,

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not fully sure if it's the USB because Dolphin had no issue reading the game on the USB
If you're not convinced, try the same USB flash drive in a different Wii. I suppose it is possible the defect is with your Wii's USB port. But most likely the reason Dolphin has no issue with the USB flash drive is because Dolphin isn't real hardware, it's an emulator.

Different devices aren't the same and don't interact the same way with the same storage media. When using an external hard drive set to go to sleep after a period of inactivity on a real Wii using USB Loader GX or Nintendont, or on a Wii U with the eshop Wii game downloads or injections, once the Wii or GameCube game needs to load something from the sleeping HDD again, it will simply crash. Meanwhile, in Dolphin the emulation will just freeze for a moment while the HDD wakes up, and the emulation will resume (albeit maybe not smoothly at first).

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're find with large SD cards as long as they are from a reliable maker, and you format them properly. I have used all kinds of sizes over the years and my main one right now is a PNY 512GB.

I only buy PNY, SanDisk & Lexar. I'll try a 1TB once prices drop below $100 on one of them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto