WiiMC online media woes :'(

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Sticksandstones, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Sticksandstones
    OP

Sticksandstones GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    United States
    At the time of posting this, WiiMC's site was down, so the ShoutCAST radio server which is hosted on WiiMC's site, was inaccessible to WiiMC, so I took it upon myself to create an onlinemedia.xml file that would serve as an alternative to WiiMC's ShoutCAST server in case it goes down again, crunching as many working online radio stations as I possibly can within the 65,535 character limit imposed by WiiMC for onlinemedia.xml, while retaining an easily-navigable style of organization.
    Nearly two months later, I've finished doing exactly that.
    Networks included:

• 101.ru
      • 181.FM
      • .977 Music Network
      • Abacus.FM
      • A Better Radio
      • AddictedToRadio
      • Calm Radio
      • RauteMusik
      • Raven Radio
      • ShoutedFM
      • SomaFM
      • Plus some smaller ones
        • Nirvana Radio
        • radio paradise
    I've also included links to SaiyanWatch's DBZ episodes, and as of now, they are in numerical order and individually labelled as such.
    TWiT can also be viewed using this file.

It is worth noting that this behaves better with the latest WiiMC than with WiiMC+, but it works well with both.
    Download onlinemedia.zip from this post, and place onlinemedia.xml in SD:\apps\wiimc and/or SD:\apps\wiimc-plus.
    Then, you can listen to these radio networks on WiiMC, without ShoutCAST.

EDIT: Added back RauteMusik, and removed HealingStreamMedia.com whose links have moved--I don't want it if their links won't be consistent.
    EDIT: Fixed RauteMusik (I broke the links D:), added a few Raven Radio links, added back HealingStreamMedia Refuge, it's the only one that worked. Everything works again. ​

Attached Files:

Last edited by Sticksandstones, Jun 13, 2016
    Linkuei likes this.
  2. Linkuei

Linkuei Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2016
    Argentina
    Days ago i'm trying to find some nice streaming channels for my wiimc but without much sucess...
    So thank you man!!!

Last edited by Linkuei, Mar 25, 2016
    Sticksandstones likes this.
  3. Sticksandstones
    OP

Nov 24, 2015
    United States
    Not a problem! Happy to help.
    I'm thinking about compiling a huge, organized list of radio stream links and onlinemedia.xml-ing it.
    However, there is a limit to how large onlinemedia.xml can be (not sure if the limit is the amount of stations, or if it's the number of characters/lines in the online media file) and that's my biggest pain. For that reason, I want to limit it to stations that actually work, and none that don't. That's going to take a bit of time and testing, but I'm sure I can come up with a nicely working result in the end. Screamer Radio is WAY obsolete, which leaves it up to chance that you'll get any playback at all from the links I included in the onlinemedia file in the topic post.
    I've already begun progress on this, and I'm also including [allegedly} permanent links directly from websites of good networks (such as 181.fm).

The biggest problem for the end user would be that they'd probably not be able to add many of their own links to onlinemedia.xml since it's populated with a maximum number of stations, but the occurrence of this problem could be circumvented by using both WiiMC and WiiMC+, each with its own onlinemedia.xml file.

Luckily, ShoutCAST is back. If you're like me and you've deleted it from your onlinemedia.xml, add it back:
    Paste this code into apps\wiimc\onlinemedia.xml to add ShoutCAST back, or download attached onlinemedia.xml from my post below

Last edited by Sticksandstones, Apr 2, 2016
    Linkuei likes this.
  4. Linkuei

Linkuei Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2016
    Argentina
    I tested your onlinemedia.xml in the lastest wiimc (1.3.4) and got an error message

5. Sticksandstones
    OP

Nov 24, 2015
    United States
    To manually add TWiT to WiiMC, paste this code into apps/wiimc/onlinemedia.xml
    To manually add saiyanwatch.com's DBZ episodes to WiiMC, paste this code into apps/wiimc/onlinemedia.xml

Attached Files:

Last edited by Sticksandstones, May 16, 2016
    Linkuei likes this.
  6. Linkuei

Linkuei Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2016
    Argentina
    I will test later, Thanks man!!! :D

7. Sticksandstones
    OP

Nov 24, 2015
    United States
    Here's something that might make someone happy at a later time when/if the WiiMC team shuts their page down:

I've collected radio station links from various networks (.977, 181.fm, AddictedToRadio aka 1ClubFM, Nirvana Radio, SomaFM, +others), usually from their own websites which describe them as "permanent", and I've carefully organized them neatly for WiiMC, with some choices (181 has many at the moment) containing multiple links for those who prefer .pls instead of .asx in case they have an underlying belief that one of the two formats is the devil himself think one should work better than the other.

In any case, all of the links should work except RauteMusik, whose links freeze WiiMC (but not WiiMC+) for some reason. We'll have to settle for unofficial links if we want RauteMusik to work, but I have yet to put those in.
    181.fm PLSes in particular work impressively nicely--even better than through ShoutCAST.

So, now that I have a bunch of networks I'm happy with, here, what would YOU like to see?
    Am I missing something you'd rather not be without if ShoutCAST goes down? Let me know, and I'll throw it in!

I've attached the to-date onlinemedia file, which also includes ShoutCAST (for now), TWiT, and links to SaiyanWatch's DBZ episodes.
    To manually add the new stations to onlinemedia.xml instead of downloading the attached .xml, copy this

Attached Files:

Linkuei and cvskid like this.
  8. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Thank you, the file works great.

9. Alex S

Alex S Creator Of WWHDM, And Metroid Fusion XER0X!

May 2, 2016
    United States
    Hell
    WiiMC is down? dammmittttt

10. Sticksandstones
    OP

Nov 24, 2015
    United States
    No, sir! Not at this time.
    It was during the first couple of months, but the team has brought it back up. You shouldn't have a problem using it now.

Linkuei likes this.
  11. Alex S

Alex S Creator Of WWHDM, And Metroid Fusion XER0X!

May 2, 2016
    United States
    Hell

YAYYY

12. Linkuei

Linkuei Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2016
    Argentina
    GOOD JOB!!!

13. Sticksandstones
    OP

Nov 24, 2015
    United States
    Apparently, onlinemedia.xml is limited by WiiMC to a maximum of 65,535 characters. Exceeding that number of characters results in the notorious "Online media file is invalid!" error, which prevents you from using onlinemedia.xml at all in WiiMC.
    As of today, I've gathered enough links to exceed that limit, all of which are successfully tested and working.
    I'm going to cleanup and optimize the frick out of onlinemedia.xml, and subtract links which don't work as well with WiiMC as other links to the same station so I can add more links, and then release it here.

Expect many more working options very soon. I'm going to crunch as many as I can within 65,535 characters.
    Suggestions are highly encouraged!

Last edited by Sticksandstones, May 16, 2016
    Linkuei and cvskid like this.
  14. Sticksandstones
    OP

Nov 24, 2015
    United States
    It's finished! I've achieved the best possible amount of stations within the limit, and in order to do so I had to do a LOT of character-crunching--you'll notice that opening the onlinemedia.xml in notepad yields an unsightly mess as a result, but WiiMC doesn't have a problem with it, and organizes it all correctly. The DBZ episodes are also now individually numbered. You can download the newest onlinemedia.xml from the newly edited first post.

Linkuei likes this.
  15. Linkuei

Linkuei Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2016
    Argentina
    Thanks again, @Sticksandstones !!!

16. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | A Fellow (lewd) Megumin

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    I feel like the Wii Homebrew situation is dieing, slowly, and painfully. :ohnoes::sad:

Linkuei likes this.
  17. Sticksandstones
    OP

Nov 24, 2015
    United States
    Yeah, seems like developers found better systems to play with and such, but it's alright, because when the Wii homebrew scene was booming, it REALLY was! It boomed so boomy that it founded a legacy that still accommodates anyone today with a Wii, developers and users alike, and in the future when programming for the Wii is even more updated than it is today, new developers and ideas will surface. For example, see Zopenko's continued updates to Tantric's emulators.
    I'm not a programmer or developer, I'm a Notepad editor, which is why I've made my contribution by posting a nice onlinemedia.xml for when the WiiMC team finally gets tired of keeping WiiMC's site up and running, and people will still want a good radio not unlike ShoutCAST, but they won't be able to use ShoutCAST when WiiMC's site goes down. Unfortunately, since I'm not a programmer\dev, I can't make WiiMC itself better for its users, or I would love to. So, I'll just make the online media part better. :P

In other words, I don't consider it DYING, I just consider it past it's prime and too old to truly move much for now. It's still breathing, and being cared for, with the occasional resuscitation (Nintendont, mGBA come to mind) from the finest WiiPR performers of today. :P

Last edited by Sticksandstones, May 24, 2016
    Dr.Hacknik, Linkuei and cvskid like this.
  18. Tantric

Tantric GBAtemp Regular

Feb 8, 2007
    Canada
    Unfortunately the site got hacked and I had to rebuild the thing. Then it got re-hacked again and I had to do it all over again. Why do people have to go try and ruin a good thing?

I agree, the Wii isn't dead but there was just only so far we could take it and some things are going to outlive their usefulness, in part or in whole (such as WiiMC). But I'm happy to see people still using WiiMC and shoutcast on it.

19. nakata6790

nakata6790 True Player

Sep 17, 2009
    Greece
    I still use WiiMC+ a lot, Wii is ultra convenient as a glorious gaming retrobox that is also a SD media center

Linkuei and Sticksandstones like this.
  20. Sticksandstones
    OP

Nov 24, 2015
    United States
    I use WiiMC for everything I can use it for--I was a big fan of VLC-Shares until I got sick of it. I've got nice speakers hooked to my CRT TV which accommodate the TV's sweet stock speakers nicely, so I use SMB to stream music from my phone to WiiMC if I want to listen to music I know, and ShoutCAST and the topic onlinemedia.xml file for radio.
    It's turned my Wii into the best media center in the house. Thanks to the homebrew scene, I'm certainly not getting rid of my Wii (or my glorious CRT TV) any time soon! :P

Linkuei likes this.