Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Takezo-San

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
IMO, I'd still double check everything around the APU and everything on the other side of the motherboard for the APU, visual\short test. Especially the caps, I don't see how a Lite-PFly install would mess up the APU BGA, so a reflow\reball wouldn't help.
Yep, did the visual and short test. Front side and back side showed nothing out of the ordinary. Went for a reball twice, still BSOD. Should have figured because the pressure test with fingers on the apu and ram should've showed normal boot with screen when turning it on but nothing...we hope....we hope. So, now I will be patient. Put this jumble to the side and will have to invest in a thermal cam and voltage injection tool. Might be a blessing in disguise. who knows. Still perplexed as to what it could be but I will find the flaw that I made.

Last edited by Takezo-San,
  • Sad
Reactions: LogicalMadness

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Yep, did the visual and short test. Front side and back side showed nothing out of the ordinary. Went for a reball teice, still BSOD. Should have figured because the pressure test with fingers on the apu and ram should help with blue screen when turning it on but...we hope....we hope. So, now I will be patient. Put this jumble to the side and will have to invest in a thermal cam and voltage injection tool. Might be a blessing in disguise. who knows. Still perplexed as to what it could be but I will find the flaw that I made.
If i were you, the first thing i am gonna check is the max ic and the surrounding capacitor and resistor.
Check using diode value or continuity test.

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Do you have a picture of where thats located?
What is your device?

38476bff2f0c481deddc07b546b49d6e03c114af.jpeg

For lite there max ic in the bottom of the apu.

There is lot of resources on tronicsfixforum about bsod or repair such as diode value, you might interested.

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
thanks. lite is my switch version
ma.png

Post automatically merged:

thanks. lite is my switch version
You might need to check this too. It seems power ic, but i still not confirmed it yet.
poweric.png

your order those same mine right? so you dont have problems using then?? i mean most moderators here toll me they dont suport " those chips" and because i dont have an support still cant figure out if they need or no updated,in the store they say " pre installed firmwarethey say this in their website "All chip pre installed stable firmwares,suport all consoles directly! No suggest flash to unstable 0.7.2 !",The idea is when I run out of these chips to be able to use the ones that everyone in the group uses, BUT the flex option is very comfortable for those of us who are not professionals,so today i will try to update one of this chips via toolbox,i dont have more options,pc never see then,if the chip burns or dont acept the update i totally loss

The pc does not detect them, I have tried in all possible ways, I pressed the boot button, I did not press it and nothing, the pc does not see them, if I connect one of my old hwfly using the same cable, the same mini ubs port the pc does Go right away and I can update them without problem using the bat.bin file, unless of course I'm doing something wrong but it's not NASA science, that is, the PC should recognize them but it doesn't, only when the chip is connected to the switch turn on the leds
For all rp2040, the procedure is the same. To flash the firmware, you need to press Boot button while power it up using cable.

I want to advise further but it seems you don't know about embedded device.
What i concern is, when the usb is connected to the pc, did the 3.3v from the board connected to the switch or not.
I do not know the effect when the 3.3v connected to the switch.
If the manufacturer doesn't give a clue or manual book about procedure to update the firmware.
If i were you, i will disconnect the 3.3v manually. Then do the update firmware as usual (press boot while inserting the usb cable to power it up).

Last edited by abal1000x,

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
View attachment 373070

You might need to check this too. It seems power ic, but i still not confirmed it yet.
View attachment 373071

For all rp2040, the procedure is the same. To flash the firmware, you need to press Boot button while power it up using cable.

What i concern is, when the usb is connected to the pc, did the 3.3v from the board connected to the switch or not.
If the manufacturer doesn't give a clue or manual book about procedure to update the firmware.
If i were you, i will disconnect the 3.3v manually. Then do the update firmware as usual (press boot while inserting the usb cable to power it up).
I've done all cable connected except switch battery when doing rp2040 uf2 flash. The 3.3v won't do anything in that case.

Takezo-San

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
View attachment 373070

View attachment 373071

Checked both Max chips' caps and resistors and they all were clear. This is super weird.

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Does seem plausible. You reckon I should try a reflow on them two!?
There was also a post in some other thread, a guy with similar issue tried pushin down (quite hard) on RAM while booting and Switch booted OK. Afterward he did a reflow.
It might be worth trying with APU amd RAM just to see what happens

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There was also a post in some other thread, a guy with similar issue tried pushin down (quite hard) on RAM while booting and Switch booted OK. Afterward he did a reflow.
It might be worth trying with APU amd RAM just to see what happens

Would that be caused be reflowing emmc and having the heat spread too far or depending on board go through from one side to rhe other?

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
Update: POC (Proof of Concept)

Modify the adapter little bit.
View attachment 373066

Shift it slightly to the right.
View attachment 373067

The diode value will not be different, when Dat1 Short Circuit (SC) with Dat0.
Its around 600.

When Dat1 SC with the Dat0 picofly will throws error:
=*== eMMC test failure - read failed

I've confirmed this and the picofly working until nosd shown (by shift the adapter a little bit to right).
I've been thinking about this, in other adapters the contact point protrudes more, so I would also trim the edge a bit like so. But maybe it's not needed.

Attachments

• d0adapter_mod_1.jpg
    d0adapter_mod_1.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 33

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Would that be caused be reflowing emmc and having the heat spread too far or depending on board go through from one side to rhe other?
In this case bsod happened because of pcb bending. I think that emmc is to far away for it to cause problem all the way to RAM during reflow but APU might be possible. Still, if you are applying heat on top of emmc and manage to break a connection on APU in the process that Emmc chip is probably dead already :D

Reactions: Adran_Marit

bilalhassan341

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In this case bsod happened because of pcb bending. I think that emmc is to far away for it to cause problem all the way to RAM during reflow but APU might be possible. Still, if you are applying heat on top of emmc and manage to break a connection on APU in the process that Emmc chip is probably dead already :D
I also have a Blue screen switch. I tried to reflow it and blue screen gone. It shows nintendo logo and then black screen. But it is making a buzzing sound coming from APU or RAM but speaker or fan is not connected so it is not from them. I'm also thinking about reflowing it again.

Edit: I throw my switch in a suitcase without case and we all know how the airport handle our bags😂😂😂. Lesson learned don't throw your switch without case. Because it can bend due to pressure😂😂🙂.

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I also have a Blue screen switch. I tried to reflow it and blue screen gone. It shows nintendo logo and then black screen. But it is making a buzzing sound coming from APU or RAM but speaker or fan is not connected so it is not from them. I'm also thinking about reflowing it again.

Edit: I throw my switch in a suitcase without case and we all know how the airport handle our bags😂😂😂. Lesson learned don't throw your switch without case. Because it can bend due to pressure😂😂🙂.
For buzzin sound you should check the coils. I dont know which model you have but they look like this:

Attachments

• Coil1.jpeg
    Coil1.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Coil2.jpg
    Coil2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 33

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
Any docs or sources on how to build the payload? I'm referring to the one that's only present in header file payload.h as an array. I'd like to tweak the logo shown on boot when no SD card is inserted, maybe the Vol+ button behavior as well.
For fun, not for profit.

All I've been able to gather is that it's likely derived from sdloader in some way.
(edit: this thread is close but it applies to hwfly rather than Picofly)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sosig