Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

wii121

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, this is my first time trying any form of hacking and my Wii (or me) have been thoroughly halted.
I'm trying to install WAD Manager 1.7 ad have been following this video [x].
I made it to the disclaimer for WAD but I can't press "A" to continue from there. In the video it says I won't be able to use the newer controller because of the MotionPlus and that I could substitute for a GameCube controller. I've tried all three of the ones I have (two original and one generic) and none of them are working with it.
Any help? D:

I'm extremely new but I installed WAS Manager 1.7 and it seems to work. I installed a cIOS with this guide https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/installation, that might be your problem.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I tried using the wad creator and got a file called "DMLr59[MIOS-v10].wad" but it's only 212KB. Is this correct? I just go into Wad Manager 1.7 and install it and it will overwrite whatever DM/DML is on there now? I put the DML r59 MOD dmm.elf inside the wad creator folder and changed it to DML.elf, was that correct?

I also reformatted my Transcend 8gb sdhc to 64kb clusters and put everything back on it. It is marked as primary and active. I got the same splash screen and disc spin sound and waited over 30 seconds and nothing happened.
Sounds right to me.
I'm also confused about DiscEx and whether it's needed or not. I have ripped an iso from an original disc and also tried using Gamecube Iso Tool to convert an iso to DiscEx and got a sys folder with apploader, bi2, and boot as well as the iso. Neither way works though they do at least show up in USB Loader GX and DML Booter, they don't show up in WiiFlow or NeoGamma.
Now that you mention it, DiscEX is only needed to save space and there are many cases where it will break the ISO (and the sys folder is only "needed" for xNEEK, which you're not using). Something you could try is just take the raw ISO image you ripped off of the retail disk and rename it to "game.iso" (for example mario.iso -> game.iso) and replace the existing game.iso file that you already have on your SD card (for example "sd:/games/mario/game.iso" ) That's the most compatible way to do these things.

This could have been your problem all along. If it was, you can go ahead and reinstall the 2.10 version, overwriting the old one I linked you to to be able to enjoy those extra features of the newest version.
Edit: I tried using the DMLr59 wad I created and it didn't work. Tried it in DML Booter and it just went to a black screen. Tried it in USB Loader GX and it said something like "You need to install DML 1.2 or later" so obviously something went wrong. Installed DML 2.9 just to see if I could get rid of the black screen and got the same stuck splash screen. What should I try next or did I mess up the DMLr59 wad creation?
Hmm, I wasn't aware that USB Loader GX had removed support for the older versions. There might be a setting to fix it, though. In DM(L) Booter there's a setting that's something like "boot method" and it has to be set to "old" or "new 2.1-" (not "new 2.1+" .. the +/- makes a big difference here)

wii121

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds right to me.
Now that you mention it, DiscEX is only needed to save space and there are many cases where it will break the ISO (and the sys folder is only "needed" for xNEEK, which you're not using). Something you could try is just take the raw ISO image you ripped off of the retail disk and rename it to "game.iso" (for example mario.iso -> game.iso) and replace the existing game.iso file that you already have on your SD card (for example "sd:/games/mario/game.iso" ) That's the most compatible way to do these things.

This could have been your problem all along. If it was, you can go ahead and reinstall the 2.10 version, overwriting the old one I linked you to to be able to enjoy those extra features of the newest version.
Hmm, I wasn't aware that USB Loader GX had removed support for the older versions. There might be a setting to fix it, though. In DM(L) Booter there's a setting that's something like "boot method" and it has to be set to "old" or "new 2.1-" (not "new 2.1+" .. the +/- makes a big difference here)

I tried taking the raw iso and renamed it game.iso and put it in the folder where the previous game.iso was. The one made by discEx was a little smaller than the raw iso file. Same result, hang at dios mios splash and nothing with the older r59 DM.

I also tried using the older DML and DM Booter with boot method on "old". If I have no disc in and have the No Disc option set to "On" (which it is by default), it flashes green and then the Wii shuts off immediately, I assume because it doesn't find a disc. If I put No Disc to "Off" then it gives me the "apploader size is zero" error and is stuck on the DM splash screen. If I put a disc in and leave No Disc as "On", it just boots that game disc and not the one I want. As I said before, with the older version of DML, GX tells me I need 1.2 or later.

It seems like DML is actually installing and working correctly, at least the older one is and is able to boot the physical disc. But there is a problem with certain loaders (NeoGamma, WiiFlow) not even seeing the games. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, it's strange that some of the loaders see the game and others do not. Even when they do see the game, it's like it can't do anything but load from a physical disc which is pointless.

Anything else I should try? I can't think of anything and it seems like it's so close.

Edit: I tried DM 2.10 for USB again and DM Booter and.....it worked! Something weird was going on showing usb8:/ and now it's back to usb1:/ but I'm not complaining. When I first went into DM Booter I also had to switch devices. It could have been some problem with which usb port I was using. It also seemed to want to use the upper USB port when using WAD Manager. I would've liked to get sd support but USB is actually better in many ways. I need to try loading a Wii game too but this is incredible. GX now says "the game is on usb" but I think I just need the correct revision to fix that.

Drafty Puppy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

wii121

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been experimenting with Dios Mios USB loading for a little while. Some games run great and others are spotty. My question is, is there a way to burn the troublesome games that don't work well with Dios Mios to DVD-R and then load them some other way? If you use some other backup loader from DVD, would you lose the ability to load from USB and have to overwrite Dios Mios with some other MIOS? Is there any way to keep USB loading of gamecube backups and also load from DVD or does it all go through Dios Mios and the only way is to revert to the original MIOS?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I've been experimenting with Dios Mios USB loading for a little while. Some games run great and others are spotty. My question is, is there a way to burn the troublesome games that don't work well with Dios Mios to DVD-R and then load them some other way? If you use some other backup loader from DVD, would you lose the ability to load from USB and have to overwrite Dios Mios with some other MIOS? Is there any way to keep USB loading of gamecube backups and also load from DVD or does it all go through Dios Mios and the only way is to revert to the original MIOS?
You can make PostLoader or WiiFlow automatically install the right MIOS (cMIOS or dios-mios) depending on whether you're loading from SD, USB from a burned disk.

wii121

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can make PostLoader or WiiFlow automatically install the right MIOS (cMIOS or dios-mios) depending on whether you're loading from SD, USB from a burned disk.
I'll look into that, might just manually switch between them when I want to play a tricky disc.

I have another issue, not sure if it's with Dios Mios or USB Loader GX. When I load gamecube games, they do not fill the screen, there are vertical black bars on each side like the aspect ratio is wrong. I tried messing with the settings in USB Loader GX and tried "force widescreen" under DM settings and it looked even crazier. How can I set it to fill the entire screen as it does normally? I think this happens in all gamecube games. I either didn't notice it before or it just started happening and I don't think I changed any settings.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I'll look into that, might just manually switch between them when I want to play a tricky disc.

I have another issue, not sure if it's with Dios Mios or USB Loader GX. When I load gamecube games, they do not fill the screen, there are vertical black bars on each side like the aspect ratio is wrong. I tried messing with the settings in USB Loader GX and tried "force widescreen" under DM settings and it looked even crazier. How can I set it to fill the entire screen as it does normally? I think this happens in all gamecube games. I either didn't notice it before or it just started happening and I don't think I changed any settings.
Yeah, I have that, too, on all GameCube games from DM(L) or Devolution (except Nintendont) and some homebrew as well (and a very rare Wii game or two).
It's just that the widescreen mode that GC uses is a little different than the "normal" one for Wii games. I don't think there's really any way around it.

wii121

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I have that, too, on all GameCube games from DM(L) or Devolution (except Nintendont) and some homebrew as well (and a very rare Wii game or two).
It's just that the widescreen mode that GC uses is a little different than the "normal" one for Wii games. I don't think there's really any way around it.

Does it work without the bars in Nintendont? Do you have any idea when Nintendont will be released? I guess this is a small issue but it's kind of annoying to have to play in a weird 4:3 mode but not intolerable. Thanks for the reply.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Does it work without the bars in Nintendont? Do you have any idea when Nintendont will be released? I guess this is a small issue but it's kind of annoying to have to play in a weird 4:3 mode but not intolerable. Thanks for the reply.
No idea about the release date. (it's something like "it'll be done when it's done") but the public alpha does at least work with ONE game (Wind Waker) ATM if nothing else

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Even with the SD cards and everything? Just making sure. >_>
Ok, here's a little more information about the disadvantages of different versions:

Wii Mini : unhackable
Family Wii (any like the one you linked that lays flat and doesn't come with the mount to make it vertical) : No GameCube ports and drive rejects GameCube disks. You'll be somewhat limited in what hacks you can do to play GameCube games.
Wii w/Motion+ (comes WITH either motion+ accessory or a wiimote+ that says at the bottom that motion+ is built in ... all non-white wiis and family wiis fall into this category): The drive can't read DVD-R disks or ANY disk in DVD format for that matter.
Older Wii: Don't have the above problems. Even then, even older (like a launch Wii) is still SLIGHTLY better as you gain certain IOS downgrade abilities (which really has no benefit) and can install BootMii@boot2 (improved brick protection) in the oldest Wii consoles.

tl;dr : older Wii's have SMALL advantages (but might also be worn out with age) but you can still do pretty much anything with any Wii as long as it has a working SD card slot (which means anything EXCEPT the Wii Mini.)

detroitwillfall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sooo this is where noobs ask questions? okay :)

i have a wii V4.3u

a 2gb sd card and a external seagate drive.

i want to play "3rd party" wii games..

anyhelp?

completely new to this..

thanks!!

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, here's a little more information about the disadvantages of different versions:
tl;dr : older Wii's have SMALL advantages (but might also be worn out with age) but you can still do pretty much anything with any Wii as long as it has a working SD card slot (which means anything EXCEPT the Wii Mini.)

The only thing I'd be weary about is a Wii within the launch year or so... burned out GPU with pixel-itis.

Haur Hugstari

Trophies
XP
Country
I wondering why i'm getting a black bar through the bottom half of my screen and some flickering when i am trying to play snes and genesis games on either a emulator or vc versions in emunand? I am guessing it has something to do with pal\ntsc 50\60hz. If i force 50hz mode in emulator the problem goes away. Having trouble doing the same in the emunand.

One other question. How come there's such huge difference sound quality wise between the VC Chrono Trigger and a SNES9-gx version. The emulator version is way way worse.

sooo this is where noobs ask questions? okay :)

i have a wii V4.3u

a 2gb sd card and a external seagate drive.

i want to play "3rd party" wii games..

anyhelp?

completely new to this..

thanks!!

http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-ultimate-wii-hacking-guide-for-beginners.306908/

Starfire12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not a noob per se, but after several years of absence I feel like one. My question:

Got a Softmodded Wii currently running 3.3 with some additional WADs and the homebrew channel etc installed. I want play Skyward Sword and actually buy it, just also don't want to loose my softmod. So I assume I have to update firmware and WADs and stuff to make sure the game wont ask to do a firmware update and to make sure it runs without crashing obviously. So what exactly should I do and what is easy and simple way to go about it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol